PDA

View Full Version : 81.98, NFSMW, and Profiles...

Medion
02-26-06, 10:47 PM
For my global settings, I have everything maxed out (including 8xS AA, 16X AF, the works). Most of my games are older titles that run great with these settings, even UT2K4.

However, some games do require some tweaking, IE, Diablo 2 needs AA/AF turned off. I set up the profile for it. Diablo 2 runs fine off the profile, and the rest of my games use the global settings.

However, NFSMW is giving me a serious headache. No matter how many times I try, I cannot get this game to use it's own profile. If I change its profile, the global settings change with it. If I go back to the global settings, the game ignores its profile.

As of right now, I either have to change the settings back and forth for NFSMW and the rest of my games, or have the rest of my games run with less than maxed out settings.

It's not enough to ruin any game, but it is driving me nuts. Anyone have any insight? I hope it's just user error, as I am new to modern ForceWare drivers.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some help with this.

OWA
02-27-06, 06:14 AM
At one point, there was a conflict with the NFSU profile since it also used the executable speed.exe. If you don't have NFSU installed, you might want to try deleting that profile to see if helps. I thought they had fixed that though so you might be having some other problem.

SLippe
02-27-06, 02:44 PM
I didn't think there was a NFSMW profile with the 81.98's, but I could be wrong. I've never had your problem. I know one thing that kills performance in NFSMW is the setting called World Textures or something like that, basically the buildings flyin' by, if that is set to max, it could cause your fps to drop, depending on your system. The other thing is the car reflection update, but not as big.

What kind of system do you have? Card? CPU? Memory? It may not be your card settins as much as it is the in-game settings. Also, what resolution do you play it at?

Medion
02-27-06, 05:30 PM
What kind of system do you have? Card? CPU? Memory? It may not be your card settins as much as it is the in-game settings. Also, what resolution do you play it at?

You missed the point :) It's a problem with my profile management. I get excellent performance with NFSMW with maxed in game settings, and 4xAA/16xAF in the CP. It's when 8xS is enabled that I have lower fps that Iwould want.

However, my global settings use 8xS, and I'd like to disable this for NFSMW without disabling it for other games.

SLippe
02-27-06, 06:39 PM
Yeah, well, good luck. As far as I know, NFSMW uses the AA setting you have set in the CP. There is NO profile for NFSMW in the CP, only NFSU, unless you made one, but I never have made a profile, so I can't speak about that. You may have to use a 3rd party prog to do what you want.

Medion
02-27-06, 10:20 PM
Yeah, well, good luck. As far as I know, NFSMW uses the AA setting you have set in the CP.

I'm aware of that. I'm trying to get the NFSMW profile to stop conflicting with global settings.

There is NO profile for NFSMW in the CP, only NFSU, unless you made one, but I never have made a profile, so I can't speak about that.

You are incorrect. Here's a shot I just took of the 81.98 ForceWare driver CP.

http://www.mediononline.com/jaysfiles/nfsmw.jpg

Now that we've established that there is a NFSMW profile in Forceware, can we get back on topic?

Peoples-Agent
02-28-06, 12:47 AM
I have dabbled with this game and SLI for quite a bit, seems the control panel for this game always takes over.

Best bet I found was to force the profile changes using nHancer and they seemed to stick. Might be worth a try.

SLippe
02-28-06, 01:33 AM
Well, I'm using the 83.90 set and there isn't one and I remember the first release of the 81.98 didn't either.

Medion
02-28-06, 05:11 AM
Best bet I found was to force the profile changes using nHancer and they seemed to stick. Might be worth a try.

Thanks. I might give that a shot.

Well, I'm using the 83.90 set and there isn't one and I remember the first release of the 81.98 didn't either.

They are/were in 81.98. I've given proof of that. Give it a rest.

OWA
02-28-06, 10:05 AM
Did you try removing the profile for NFSU to see if that worked? Or, if you didn't want to remove it, try changing the exe that the NFSU profile uses to something other than speed.exe or another thing you could try is setting the options you want for NFSMW in the NFSU profile to see if that works.

Basically, the path before the exe is supposed to allow the drivers to differentiate between profiles using the same exe (NFSU uses speed.exe and NFSMW uses speed.exe) but sometimes it doesn't work for me (when using the built-in CP anyway). For counter-strike: source (counter strike uses hl2.exe and HL-2 uses hl2.exe) I had to end up changing the settings under the Half-Life 2 profile for them to get enabled with counter-strike.

In some of the earlier drivers, the easiest fix for the NFSMW issue was just to delete the NFSU profile to remove the conflict. So, that's what I'd try first unless you have NFSU installed and are playing it. Just backup your nvapps.xml file first in case it doesn't work (c:\windows\system32\nvapps.xml).

Medion
02-28-06, 12:48 PM
I ended up setting a different profile for every game I have installed. NFSMW still conflicts with the global settings, and the only other games that I have using the global settings are WC3 and the WC3 expansion.

Thakns for all the help :)