PDA

View Full Version : New Alienware Rig. with a big ass monitor!

demonized
01-22-03, 07:52 PM
I just saw Volts post of the new alienware rig. When he said its coming with an 30' LCD I thought it was a typo:) The LCD costs $4300. Add $3000 more which is how much their most expensive is. $7300 converted to CAD = $11,214 plus tax = $12896.
H:eek: O:eek: L:eek: Y C:eek: R:eek: A:eek: P

http://www.necmitsubishi.com/products/home/nec_id_index.cfm

styles-T
01-22-03, 08:01 PM
This is an awesome rig!!

I love that Case :alien: ..

volt
01-22-03, 08:05 PM
Hehehe. Personally I would not want that box. I would be only happy to buy their case, because the other stuff I could most likely buy cheaper. No HDTV for me though hah! :D

Riptide
01-23-03, 11:53 AM
That LCD has a strange native resolution though... Not sure I'd want it for PC use.

marqmajere
01-23-03, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Riptide
That LCD has a strange native resolution though... Not sure I'd want it for PC use.

Alienware explained why they chose that monitor. They say most people don't, or can't, run most games at 1600x1200 and since some games don't support 1280x768 they play them at 1024x768.

ReDeeMeR
01-23-03, 01:34 PM
Well:

Pixel Pitch:
0.5025 mm

Didnt find any info on pixel refresh rate, but there's probably huge ghosting on it.

Fubar. :)

CaptNKILL
01-24-03, 10:01 PM
LCD= sux

Im sure if I had to use an LCD I wouldnt mind too much, but the image quality is almost ALWAYS inferior to ANY CRT. I dont see any reason to get an LCD unless:
A) You dont have the room for a CRT
B) You go to LAN parties and are too weak to carry a CRT around ;)
C) You like making the screen look like water by touching it (heheh, thats cool :)

Other than that, LCDs are useless. They look blurry when you arent using some EXACT resolution, are ghosty, can lose individual pixels (hey, look at the white dots in the middle of my game of Counterstrike... that sure helps my concentration :) ) and can change colors depending on what angle you look at them (hey look at this game dude.... oh, you cant see it from there).

Sorry, It just bugs me that LCDs are considered superior when they are just LIGHTER.
Other than that they suxxor :)

Riptide
01-26-03, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by marqmajere
Alienware explained why they chose that monitor. They say most people don't, or can't, run most games at 1600x1200 and since some games don't support 1280x768 they play them at 1024x768.
Well, I like to run in 1600x1200 and I know most hardcore gamers do..

Besides, the native resolution on that huge LCD is not going to look very good IMHO. Just to big of a screen for to small a resolution..

Riptide
01-26-03, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
LCD= sux
Im sure if I had to use an LCD I wouldnt mind too much, but the image quality is almost ALWAYS inferior to ANY CRT. I dont see any reason to get an LCD unless:
A) You dont have the room for a CRT
B) You go to LAN parties and are too weak to carry a CRT around ;)
C) You like making the screen look like water by touching it (heheh, thats cool :)

Other than that, LCDs are useless. They look blurry when you arent using some EXACT resolution, are ghosty, can lose individual pixels (hey, look at the white dots in the middle of my game of Counterstrike... that sure helps my concentration :) ) and can change colors depending on what angle you look at them (hey look at this game dude.... oh, you cant see it from there).
Sorry, It just bugs me that LCDs are considered superior when they are just LIGHTER.
Other than that they suxxor :)
Blurry if not run in their native resolution I would certainly agree with.. Interpolation sucks. However, if run at their native resolution any good LCD should look extremely sharp. Sharper than just about any CRT. And I have some experience to back this up having gone from an f500r CRT to a 20" LCD. The trick is to find an LCD that has the native resolution you prefer to run in. Not really that difficult IMO. For me, it's 1600x1200. The same as it was when I used the 21" F500R CRT. Another note: geometry is not an issue with LCDs whereas it is almost impossible to find a CRT with perfect geometry.

And btw, I would much rather carry my LCD with me than that F500R. All F500 series monitors have a tendency to crack at the base if you aren't very careful with them. And btw, the F500 series is considered pretty much *the* CRT to own as far as I can tell. The only other two people seem to care about as far as the high end CRTs are concerned are the Eizo F960 and the sony W900 (24"). All of them would probably be very fragile at the base due to their weight.

And a note regarding dead pixels: they are common on CRTs as well. My 20" LCD has only 1 stuck pixel. My sony F500R had 1 dead pixel as well and sony will NOT take them back for that reason alone. In other words, big deal that LCDs can have a stuck pixel or two.:rolleyes:

My 2000FP has a 25ms response time and I notice very little if any ghosting in all of my games and that includes even Quake3 and UT2003. The deflection angle is nice as well, you have to be at a pretty bad angle to experience a real loss in image. Best part of it is this display cost me $800, the F500R $1500. Guess which one is gone now? Here's a hint: I have a lot more room on my desk now.