PDA

View Full Version : 6,000Hz Mouse Polling Rate?!

Rakeesh
02-27-06, 09:02 PM
I was playing around with my Copperhead drivers since I was having some issues with it (unrelated to this,) and wanted to test whether or not it was actually setting the polling rate to what I wanted in the driver. I downloaded the mouserate.exe checker (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=16464&stc=1&d=1141092371), and it reported 500Hz whether I would set it to 125Hz or 1000Hz.

Try as I might, I couldn't get it to budge. So I patched the USB driver to uncap the polling rate. When I went to check it with mouserate.exe, the damndest thing happened...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=16462&stc=1&d=1141092022

Apparently it is reaching upwards of 6Khz. When I did this exact same thing to my Logitech Mx500, it didn't go nearly this high. Apparently the Copperhead is capable of insane polling rates. Anybody else ever notice this?

Looks like I may as well disable mouse filtering now to reduce the lag slightly :D

EDIT: Unchecking the "show" box lets it go up to nine thousand something Hz just for the average.

CaptNKILL
02-27-06, 09:15 PM
Holy freakin hell... isnt there a danger of frying something at those rates? :eek:

Rakeesh
02-27-06, 09:23 PM
I watched the CPU ticker while moving it around a lot and it doesn't seem to eat up anything significant so far as resources are concerned .

I did notice that in the mouserate readme that it says it possibly isn't accurate past 1000Hz, however it seems to consistently reach approximately 6000Hz.

EDIT: Er wait, that says past 100Hz, not 1000Hz. And when I unchecked the "show" box, the average reaches up to 9KHz.

CaptNKILL
02-27-06, 09:32 PM
I watched the CPU ticker while moving it around a lot and it doesn't seem to eat up anything significant so far as resources are concerned .

I did notice that in the mouserate readme that it says it possibly isn't accurate past 1000Hz, however it seems to consistently reach approximately 6000Hz.

EDIT: Er wait, that says past 100Hz, not 1000Hz. And when I unchecked the "show" box, the average reaches up to 9Mhz.
:rofl
9Mhz? Man, your mouse runs at a higher clock than many old CPUs :lol:

chunkey
02-27-06, 09:38 PM
err, 6000Hz is not 6MHz..., it's 6KHz!

CaptNKILL
02-27-06, 09:55 PM
err, 6000Hz is not 6MHz..., it's 6KHz!
Heh, oh yeah... :p

Rakeesh
02-27-06, 10:40 PM
Oops, fixed.

snowmanwithahat
02-27-06, 11:06 PM
i did it too, it averages about 1,000 once i turn off the "show" option... i don't believe in the accuracy of this program though, it doesn't seem quite right.... this was back in 1999, i doubt it can accurately measure a high end razor's response times...

Son Goku
02-27-06, 11:11 PM
That musta been one hell of a mouse on steroids :lol:

Course, the other question, did you notice any practical aspects to doing this? Or was it just a "yes, it can be done sorta thing"?

Then again, I'm still sitting on an MX-500, so haven't messed with one of these newer mice to see what any difference would be, even without unchecking stuff...

Rakeesh
02-27-06, 11:56 PM
That musta been one hell of a mouse on steroids :lol:

Course, the other question, did you notice any practical aspects to doing this? Or was it just a "yes, it can be done sorta thing"?

Then again, I'm still sitting on an MX-500, so haven't messed with one of these newer mice to see what any difference would be, even without unchecking stuff...

Mostly yes.

It can be a little practical for older games though. Namely, if your framerate is very high, increasing the polling rate is going to make the mouse smoother.