PDA

View Full Version : Can you mix ram?

vert305
02-27-06, 09:09 PM
If i have to OCZs can i get to Corsair's making it 4gb? just wondering ... its prob a stupid question

Not that i want to do it .. i was just wondering .. for my FYI

nV`andrew
02-27-06, 09:12 PM
yeah...if its the same speed it should work fine.

CaptNKILL
02-27-06, 09:59 PM
Newer boards and CPUs are much more picky, but it works some times... other times it doesnt work at all, or you get glitches.

If you can, its best to just get the same kind. Not just the same brand, but the same model and everything. I couldnt get 2x512 Corsair XMS PC-3200 to work with 2x512 Corsair Value PC-3200. When I got another set of the Value stuff, it worked fine with the other pair.

keith33
02-27-06, 10:16 PM
Asus is usually good with mixing ram but guaranteed you'll have to go down to 2T if it works.

Son Goku
02-27-06, 10:40 PM
You don't give your memory specs for us to see what you have, but a couple thoughts here. Make sure that where you mix and match, you do it in seperate memory banks. Don't mix them in the same bank, and as I'm gathering you have a socket 938, your memory would try to pair...

Also, I haven't tried this now, but know in the past that some mobos were picky about which bank (say bank 0 or bank 1) contained the larger dimms. If the pairs of dimms are of unequal size, check to see if the order they're inserted, is something that will be cared about.

Not sure if the A64 cares if the larger DIMMs are in the first bank, or whatever else; but have heard, especially with some of the older cores, did get a bit picky about memory. One of the changes in Venice (E3 core, and latter), was to increase memory compatibility, and also allow some support for mixed DIMMs. I still would restrict any memory mixing to separate memory banks however...

BTW, is there some reason this thread is in the nVidia gfx card forum, rather then general hardware?

vert305
02-27-06, 10:58 PM
THANKS! ... no im going to with 2 more 1gb OCZ .. i was just wondering if that was poss.