PDA

View Full Version : 7800 GS problem...

listento311
02-28-06, 01:03 AM
i recently up graded from the nVidia 5900 fx series to the nVidia 7800 Gs. i've called tech support from Bfg and Asus numerous times to find a solution. it seems like i've tried everything but it still isn't performing like it should. I'm currently running the only driver that seems to work, which is the drivers from the disc that comes with the card. the most common answer is that my drivers aren't up to date. BFG suggests that the driver to download is the BETA forceware version 82.12 off the nVidia website. but half way through the install i get a message saying: "the nVidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. setup will now exit." another reason i think it has to be the driver is i went onto the nvidia site where you can test your system compatibility for the new elder scrolls game oblivion. and everything passed, except they suggested i should get the latest audio and video drivers....

windows reconizes the card and says it's working properly, but my fps in games like half life 2 and counter strike source are umbearabley low. down to 11 fps most of the time in HL 2. and games like half life 1 and natural selection go down to 25 fps when a lot is going on.

i know i have the latest chipset drivers (from the Asus site), an agp slot that is compatible with the card, a sufficient power supply, and an overall a comp that should be running this card pretty smoothly. any thoughts, concerns, complaints, remarks, theories, hypothesies'. all are welcome and appreciated, except for complaints....those won't help much.

P4 3.2 Ghz, 1 Gb of corsair xms Ram (512x2), BFG nVidia 7800 Gs, 74Gb WD Raptor hardrive, Asus P4P800 SE mother board.

BioHazZarD
02-28-06, 01:16 AM
from what i know there is no stable driver yet for this card... kinda sad.

McWolf
02-28-06, 01:26 AM
see here...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65153

Demanufakture
02-28-06, 02:01 AM
My 7800 GS CO Superclocked video card has been ripping through all my games. This card gives awesome performance in all my games. The transparency AA multisampling is awesome in BF2 when looking through a fence. I don't know what you mean when you say there is no stable driver for this card. The 81.98 whql(current official driver) fully supports the 7800 gs. I haven't had any problems with it. The only real reason to use the 82.12 driver(if you read the release notes) is if you have a 6800 gs.

AStaley
02-28-06, 02:06 AM
I assume you have checked the obvious, you have a power molex plugged into the gfx card and that it is pushed in securely. Also make sure that you have the chipset drivers installed for you motherboard and that the card is running in AGP mode not PCI.

I know these seem obvious but it's amazing how many people over look the simple things.

AStaley.

jAkUp
02-28-06, 02:49 AM
Have you tried the 83.40 beta drivers?

If no luck... a format should fix the problem :D

rflair
02-28-06, 07:50 AM

81.98 officially supports the card.

I'm running 83.90 on my GS perfectly, but 81.98 are equally good.

This is slightly off topic but, I had 2x512 OCZ RAM in my box when I had my 6800, over the last two months Quickpar would give errors stating 'possible memory failure'. Testing with Memtest brought up errors. I lived with it everything else ran fine.

I bought my 7800GS it was crashing here and there, I thought something is up. I tested each memory stick indivdually and found the culprit. Using just 1 512meg stick the system ran sweet. I've since bought 1gig Corsair value RAM and coupled it with the 512meg OCZ (1.5g total) and everything is perfect.

So for me maybe the 7800GS pushes the system harder.

CaiNaM
02-28-06, 10:25 AM
running 81.98 whql on BFG 7800GS OC with no issues whatsoever. works great, and the card is running 480/1.4 Ghz.

i'd look elsewhere for the problem. as always, start from scratch - ck all connections, remove all old drivers, etc. i know that's the most common response for these types of questions, but it often solves the problem.

GOZ
02-28-06, 10:45 AM
I run the XG83.90 on my GS @500/1500 try them. The feedback on them with a GS is good.

Superfly
03-01-06, 08:46 AM
83.90 is OK so far on mine.

King9072
05-30-06, 12:14 AM
OK guys I have the same problem and like the user up top I have tried almost everything. But the real kicker for me is that the only game I seem to experience extremely poor fps is CS:Source... i play oblivion with med/high settings and the game runs PERFECTLY.. now oblivion is a much more graphic intense game than CSS and in css im lucky to get over 12 fps but below 10 is more common if anyone has any more information about this please help.

Redeemed
05-30-06, 12:51 AM
OK guys I have the same problem and like the user up top I have tried almost everything. But the real kicker for me is that the only game I seem to experience extremely poor fps is CS:Source... i play oblivion with med/high settings and the game runs PERFECTLY.. now oblivion is a much more graphic intense game than CSS and in css im lucky to get over 12 fps but below 10 is more common if anyone has any more information about this please help.

The advice given to the author of this thread applies to you as well. Try what was mentioned and see if that helps. Also, it would help us more if you listed you computer hardware specifications.

Good luck to you both, and I hope that you get this issue sorted out quickly. :D

King9072
05-30-06, 02:43 AM
The advice given to the author of this thread applies to you as well. Try what was mentioned and see if that helps. Also, it would help us more if you listed you computer hardware specifications.

Good luck to you both, and I hope that you get this issue sorted out quickly. :D

Ok well my old computer was a couple years old basically it was an athlon xp 2000, on and asus a7v333 board, 512 mb ddr ram with a geforce ti 4200 but this system ran css very fluently but a bit choppy during heavy fighting. So I bought a new computer and the system specs are athlon 64 3700+ on asrock 939dual-sata2 motherboard, a gig of ddr2 ram i think... and of course the infamous Nvidia Geforce 7800 GS 256mb graphics card. With this new much better system my fps in css is atrocious, but when I do the video tests in css, on max settings i run a steady 60fps, on lowest i run at 120 fps, both perfectly clear. Then I join a server and the fps is horrible like i said between approx 8-12fps. Yet I play oblivion and everything runs perfectly fine so I don't believe that theres problems with the card itself. But i have tried most of the recommended things in this thread to no avail. If anyone can help with this and specifically the css problem please do cause I miss it :)

Redeemed
05-30-06, 03:16 AM
Ok well my old computer was a couple years old basically it was an athlon xp 2000, on and asus a7v333 board, 512 mb ddr ram with a geforce ti 4200 but this system ran css very fluently but a bit choppy during heavy fighting. So I bought a new computer and the system specs are athlon 64 3700+ on asrock 939dual-sata2 motherboard, a gig of ddr2 ram i think... and of course the infamous Nvidia Geforce 7800 GS 256mb graphics card. With this new much better system my fps in css is atrocious, but when I do the video tests in css, on max settings i run a steady 60fps, on lowest i run at 120 fps, both perfectly clear. Then I join a server and the fps is horrible like i said between approx 8-12fps. Yet I play oblivion and everything runs perfectly fine so I don't believe that theres problems with the card itself. But i have tried most of the recommended things in this thread to no avail. If anyone can help with this and specifically the css problem please do cause I miss it

First of all, CS:S ran so well on your Ti4200 simply cause it was only using DX8 hardware acceleration features. Meaning no HDR, no high AA/AF of any sort, etc.

Sounds to me like it might be a software issue. Are your mobo drivers current? If so, try some older drivers for that mobo (the MCP, actually). If that doesn't help, try your RAM. Maybe you got a bad stick of RAM. Also, try multiple different Forceware drivers that state that they support the 7800GS (I think there are only a few drivers that do fully support the 7800GS).

It is hard to say what could be causing such low framerates. I can play CS:S @ 1600x1200 w/ everthing maxed (including full HDR), and I get an average of around 45 fps. The more people on the map, the slower it gets- but in a game with a total of 10 or less people it runs perfectly smooth non stop. If my 6800GT can do this (at stock speeds mind you), then your 7800GS should be doing a bit better.

Cream
05-31-06, 03:20 PM
Hard to know what to say. I have the Gainward 7800GS+ AGP running on 84.21 with no problems, upgraded from a BFG 6800GT.
CS:S is running around 70fps @ 1600x1200 with 4x fsaa etc. on levels that support HDR e.g. dust.
have you put the two 12 volt connectors into the card? are they on clean lines(no harddrives connected?) what power supply have you got?

the reason I as the question is my brother brought my 6800GT and didn't know about the extra power needed to run the card, and as soon as the card was pushed it crashed.