PDA

View Full Version : best anti-shimmer driver for 6600-6800 series?

delhan
02-28-06, 05:05 AM
Which ones are the best forceware drivers for eliminating shimmering with 6600 (GT) - 6800 (GS/GT) series ??

egyteam
02-28-06, 05:09 AM
I am using 83.90, No problem

Try it

delhan
02-28-06, 06:41 AM
I am using 83.90, No problem

Try it

Is Direct Access taken off from these?

OWA
02-28-06, 09:03 AM
Any of the latest and just make sure you use HQ mode with the clamp. Direct Access has been removed in the latest ones (81.98+).

delhan
02-28-06, 09:13 AM
Any of the latest and just make sure you use HQ mode with the clamp. Direct Access has been removed in the latest ones (81.98+).

Thanks. Clamp ?

OWA
02-28-06, 09:19 AM
Enable advanced settings and scroll to the bottom. Make sure the negative LOD bias is set to Clamp. I'd make sure the game specific profile is that way as well as the global profile. It was the option that mostly removed the shimmering especially if the high quality mode is used. If you try to use Quality mode, it won't help nearly as much.

delhan
02-28-06, 09:28 AM
Thanks a lot.

See you own both ATi and nVidia. any differences in image quality ?

OWA
02-28-06, 09:34 AM
Heh, loaded question.

Check the below thread. Around post #73, I believe we start to argue about that. :)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63980&page=5

There are also a few screenshots posted earlier in the thread by someone else

delhan
02-28-06, 09:46 AM
Heh, loaded question.

Check the below thread. Around post #73, I believe we start to argue about that. :)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63980&page=5

There are also a few screenshots posted earlier in the thread by someone else

naaah lol had nough of those threads, just your personal experience as i am sure you tried a comparison yourself. Since you could spot and bothered with nvidias shimmering i trust your view :D

OWA
02-28-06, 10:33 AM
If you have the horse-power to run high quality settings all the time, the IQ is very close and most of the time I don't notice a difference. There are exceptions though. Like in BF2, I think the IQ is better on the XTX until I use 8xS on the Nvidia side but a lot of people don't have the horsepower to use the 8xS AA.

Medion
02-28-06, 11:46 AM
From my experience, using HQ 16x AF, and clamp the LOD bias will still result in shimmering, but very little. I can see just a slight amount in UT2K4, and a lot in certain areas of WoW. Turning on 8xS clears up all shimmering for me in Ut2K4. That's not an option for me in WoW because of the glow-effect. However, it's not a bothersome amount.

RejZoR
03-01-06, 04:35 AM
I noticed shimmering isn't a Geforce problem but a game problem that uses some weird opts or LOD. CS:S is one weirdest example. de_aztec map is shimering and sparcling like nuts on the ground on CT spawn. But if you run under the map through the water area, there isn't much shimmering on the ground.
Same for stone ground if you move from CT spawn to B bombsite.
cbble and de_dust2 is not shimmering at all along with few maps.
NFS:MW is not shimmering, as well as not Age of Mythology (and expansion).
Quake 3 is fine, UT2004 is also fine, no problems in both World Racing 1 and 2. Rune (UT99 engine based) and Chaser both work just fine.
So it's not really a GF card alone.

rewt
03-01-06, 05:17 AM
I noticed shimmering isn't a Geforce problem...

So it's not really a GF card alone.

GeForce 6+ definitely has shimmering issues. It's a known fact and has to do with a flaw in the hardware design.

We can only hope it gets fixed in the next generation of GeForce cards.

delhan
03-01-06, 10:19 AM
i see ...

Medion
03-01-06, 10:45 AM
We can only hope it gets fixed in the next generation of GeForce cards.

Doesn't matter to me. I'd rather see it fixed in the card I own. I'm looking at not upgrading again until the GF9 is out. I don't buy video cards every refresh or every generation.

delhan
03-09-06, 12:25 PM
http://www.zdnet.de/enterprise/print_this.htm?pid=39138078-20000002c

Can't nvidia achieve this ATi FSAA/AF quality level through just drivers? ...

OWA
03-09-06, 12:28 PM
Not, according to some of the review sites. It's because of the hardware's design so it can't be completely eliminated through drivers.

ynnek
03-09-06, 06:53 PM
Use supersampling AA (and try putting it ontop of some levels of MS)... An good way to fiddle around with supersampling AA is to use nhancer.

For example, for my 6800GT, I use 1x2 supersampling AA at 1680x1050 for GTR (which uses the same ISI engine that screenshot down below uses) to remove most of the shimmer and jaggies without affecting performance too much.

Actually, there's some aspects of where the Nvidia's AA implementation looks a little better than ATI's too.

delhan
03-10-06, 04:11 AM
Thanks .

I very rarely if ever exceed 1024x768 resolutions in games (19" CRT) any advice in relation to this resolution maybe ?

(and try putting it ontop of some levels of MS) = ?