PDA

View Full Version : entire kings quest series to be rereleased for XP

nrs421
02-28-06, 09:14 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6144828.html

Classic adventure games from Sierra are set for rerelease for Windows XP; compilation packs will cost around $20.

Once upon a time, Sierra Entertainment, now a subsidiary of VU Games, was the leader in PC adventure games. Its most famous franchise was the King's Quest series, which originated in 1984, but the game's formula spread to space in Space Quest, the streets in Police Quest, and the hormonally charged libido of Leisure Suit Larry.

However, in order to give those games a whirl, today's gamers need a computer running on ancient operating systems.

That's about to change, thanks to some new rereleases from VU Games. A VUG representative confirmed to GameSpot that the publisher is preparing compilation packs of the above four series that will run on Windows XP.

Each set will contain multiple games in the series, but it is unknown exactly which ones will be included. The price of retro gaming won't be a king's ransom--the sets are priced at $20. No release dates have been announced, but product pages on online retailers' Web sites say the games will be available in late March. More information in expected in the upcoming weeks.

I'm getting this as soon as it is released....should be fun

OWA
02-28-06, 09:23 AM
Those were some of my all-time favorites. Can't believe I didn't mention them in the retro thread. Anyway, looking forward to the release.

zoomy942
02-28-06, 09:23 AM
me too:)

Riptide
02-28-06, 09:44 AM
Hm... I wonder if the resolution will still be 320x200. ;)

|MaguS|
02-28-06, 09:44 AM
Thats awsome! Gonna get it on day one.

Tr1cK
02-28-06, 09:46 AM
Hm... I wonder if the resolution will still be 320x200. ;)

Sure, but with 8xAA and 16x AF, it will look great!

OWA
02-28-06, 09:49 AM
Some of the user ehanced versions from Tierra (actually, it's AGDInteractive now) are pretty good Edit: so hopefully they'll update things a little as well. I'd still get it if they don't though just for nostalgia.

http://www.agdinteractive.com/

Acid Rain
02-28-06, 09:55 AM
OWO's picture=Tears in my eyes.

That just rocketed me back to childhood on my dad's 2,000 086 machine. I remember that cave! Oh yes, I remember that cave...

What great games.

jolle
02-28-06, 10:14 AM
Sure, but with 8xAA and 16x AF, it will look great!
ScummVM and Exult (Ultima 7 win/linux engine) both support a range of SuperSampling modes (all CPU I guess) and stuff like that for the old games they run, its pretty nice.
So maybe they will add something here aswell, could be neat.

nrs421
02-28-06, 10:17 AM
i'll be getting it just to support them....i want adventure games back..

CaptNKILL
02-28-06, 10:29 AM
I think I played one of those games a few years ago... I didnt play the real early ones though. Adventure games deffinitely need a come back, I might get this :)

Riptide
02-28-06, 11:44 AM
Hero's Quest and Space Quest were pretty cool.

gmontem
02-28-06, 12:07 PM
The interpreter for KQ games up to KQ4 used vector graphics so even if they don't update the graphics for the XP release the pre-VGA games should look decent if the updated interpreter supported today's resolutions.

gaspar
03-01-06, 08:50 PM
Kings Quest 5.......

-cheers-

DCult
03-02-06, 05:38 AM
I can't believe I never played any adventure game from Sierra before :( (were Phantasmagoria or Gabriel Knight Sierra games?), and I've been playing computer games since 8, I am 31 now. I played the Lucas Arts adventures, but those were of a different era, Full Throttle, The Dig, Monkey Island series, Grim Fandango, e.t.c. Those were amazing games for their time.

Capt. Picard
03-02-06, 05:44 AM
Yep, those were the days. When practically everyone had more or less the same computer, when you didn't have to worry about driver issues and other bull. You installed it and played it.

nrs421
03-02-06, 07:34 AM
I can't believe I never played any adventure game from Sierra before :( (were Phantasmagoria or Gabriel Knight Sierra games?),

phantasmagoria was by sierra not sure about gabriel knight....it probably was

Riptide
03-02-06, 08:28 AM
Yep, those were the days. When practically everyone had more or less the same computer, when you didn't have to worry about driver issues and other bull. You installed it and played it.

lol

Not quite. ;)

You still had to worry about Qemm386 and freeing up enough base memory, setting DMA/IRQ for your SB Pro, etc.. It wasn't a party back then like it is now with PnP. :p