PDA

View Full Version : M$ enters the handheld market

Zelda_fan
02-28-06, 02:27 PM
lol what a piece

http://gear.ign.com/articles/691/691935p1.html

ENU291
02-28-06, 02:34 PM
I saw that video previously. I have to admit that even though it looks interesting it's HUGE! I've seen full blown laptops about the size of that thing.

Zelda_fan
02-28-06, 02:37 PM
I saw that video previously. I have to admit that even though it looks interesting it's HUGE! I've seen full blown laptops about the size of that thing.

I'm not sure what they are going to market it against, but if they market it as a handheld against the DS or PSP it's going to get crushed. Now if they put it up against the iBook, maybe it might float above water.

Edge
02-28-06, 03:25 PM
Umm, it's not a "handheld", it's more or less an extended tablet PC. It has about as much in common with the DS/PSP as the Ipod has with a laptop.

PikachuMan
02-28-06, 03:34 PM
A small, wireless, highly integrated tablet PC.. I've been wanting one of those for quite a while, and it's good to see Microsoft pursuing the technology. Why is this posted in the console forum though?

nrdstrm
02-28-06, 04:52 PM
Are we sure this is the final product?
http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2006Jan/bga20060228035029.htm

"According to a Microsoft spokesperson, the video featuring the Origami "is a year old and represents our initial exploration into this form factor, including possible uses and scenarios." So in the case of the Origami video, what you saw may not be exactly what you'll get."

Zelda_fan
02-28-06, 05:02 PM
A small, wireless, highly integrated tablet PC.. I've been wanting one of those for quite a while, and it's good to see Microsoft pursuing the technology. Why is this posted in the console forum though?

I saw it playing halo and I thoguh it to be a handheld plus all news sites are reporting it to be a gaming handheld device

Acid Rain
02-28-06, 11:38 PM
The funny thing is how you handheld lovers tolerate the small size of the successful machines. Part of why I'd never use the current crop of handhelds for my gaming fix is the cramped controls (touchscreen or not). I know this MS device isn't actually a handheld gaming unit, but it did bring up a remark about the size very quickly.

Do you grown men actually like crimping your hands to play on a children's machine such as...well... any model Gameboy?
To me it's like a man sitting with his legs crossed like a fairy, nearly popping his family jewels.:barf:

Zelda_fan
03-01-06, 01:32 AM
The funny thing is how you handheld lovers tolerate the small size of the successful machines. Part of why I'd never use the current crop of handhelds for my gaming fix is the cramped controls (touchscreen or not). I know this MS device isn't actually a handheld gaming unit, but it did bring up a remark about the size very quickly.

Do you grown men actually like crimping your hands to play on a children's machine such as...well... any model Gameboy?
To me it's like a man sitting with his legs crossed like a fairy, nearly popping his family jewels.:barf:

I don't know I mean look at the DS. It's width is about the same as a PS2 controller, so I am able to grip it just fine. Maybe if you're a giant, but then again you have to remember the DS was designed by short japenese people :D

Acid Rain
03-01-06, 10:12 AM
I don't know I mean look at the DS. It's width is about the same as a PS2 controller, so I am able to grip it just fine. Maybe if you're a giant, but then again you have to remember the DS was designed by short japenese people :DQFT. Can you imagine the first xbox controller in the average Japanese child's hand?:eek:

ENU291
03-01-06, 11:31 AM
QFT. Can you imagine the first xbox controller in the average Japanese child's hand?:eek:
It must have looked like a frisbee in their hands!! :D

Acid Rain
03-01-06, 11:37 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of elephant turd. :D

PeterJensen
03-01-06, 12:34 PM
I someway respect MS for pulling this one. I have no doubt it will work well for them.
And btw MS have made some of the best controllers ever made. Just look at the Sidewinder series. They will NEVER be matched.

Acid Rain
03-01-06, 12:50 PM
And btw MS have made some of the best controllers ever made. Just look at the Sidewinder series. They will NEVER be matched.I agree. MS definitely designs excellent quality controllers. The 360 ones are the best I've ever used, hands down.