PDA

View Full Version : So I ordered DSL...

Roadhog
02-28-06, 10:07 PM
Yes! Finally I can get DSL in my area... bye bye 56k.

Now for the questions...

I got, Qwest Choice DSL with MSN Premium for $21 a month. It was a special deal they had going. 1.5/896

1. Do I have to use the MSN software? Or can I just connect the modem and crap to my pc and install the drivers and stuff. (BTW my phone company is Qwest also, and I never saw anything or did they ask me to sign up for any MSN crap)

2. Tips on setting up the modem/router, Ports and what not?

3. Tell me stuff I should know.

Bubba
02-28-06, 10:12 PM
1 - I highly doubt it. Never heard of having to use any proprietary software in this situation.

2 - phone jack to modem with the cord they provided. modem to router with ethernet. router to pc(s) with ethernet. any port is fine.

3 - see http://www.dslreports.com/

ENU291
02-28-06, 10:38 PM
All you really need to do is set up a PPPOE dial session for Windows XP. You can find that at your network connections section in your control panel.

Roadhog
03-04-06, 06:28 PM
well ive been reading more about Qwest DSL, and alot of people, well everyone is saying that they use interleaving. I heard this made the first hop pings like 35ms worse? I'm not a really big gamer, but what is the average pings for dsl.

Dazz
03-04-06, 06:45 PM
Depends on Game and conenction speed yeah DSl ping times are worse then cable due to extra overhead but they both download the same.

Roadhog
03-04-06, 06:55 PM
so what are average dsl pings? I wana know so i can kinda estimate my pings..

Rakeesh
03-04-06, 07:52 PM
Yes! Finally I can get DSL in my area... bye bye 56k.

Now for the questions...

I got, Qwest Choice DSL with MSN Premium for $21 a month. It was a special deal they had going. 1.5/896

Oh...qwest is your only choice? I'm sorry. That sucks real bad. Not even qwest employees like qwest. Hopefully some of their competition comes to your area soon. J.D. power also gave them the lowest rating possible for broadband ISP's.

so what are average dsl pings? I wana know so i can kinda estimate my pings..

Qwest uses something called interleave that will give you a minimum ping of 32ms. Then you add the regular hop latencies for that server. Where a cable user sees somewhere around 60ms pings, you'll probably see upwards of 90ms. Which isn't too bad, but if qwest had engineers that were worth more than two cents it would be better.

Still better than dialup as dialup has a minimum ping of 100ms. But sh*t compared to other DSL providers, and pretty much all cable providers, which have latencies going anywhere from 2-5ms. Verizon FIOS customers have it the best, as their typical minimum latency times are measured in the microseconds.

Roadhog
03-04-06, 08:23 PM
ah that sucks.. 3 of my friends have qwest DSL, and they get like 60ms in WoW.

j0j081
03-06-06, 11:23 PM
I don't think you have to use the MSN software but as an MSN premium subscriber you do get a nicer msn/hotmail account accessable from the web and outlook 2003 if wanted.

Spyke
03-08-06, 10:05 AM
A good DSL provider will be mere milliseconds to the first hop (using fastpath and not interleave of course) and can in many cases beat cable pingtimes. Remember, "good" being the keyword here.

Interleaving is only supposed to be used in cases where your DSL signal sucks and wont work with fastpath. If Qwest uses interleaving even if you're next door to the CO then that concludes they are idiots.

lytalbayre
03-08-06, 03:32 PM
You shouldn't have to use the proprietary software.

However, when I first signed up with yahoo dsl, you do have to use the install disc to set up the PPoE (username, password, etc), just be sure not to install unnecessary stuff.

Then, once you get the PPoE stuff, just configure your routed and you're good to go!!

Spyke
03-08-06, 03:41 PM
PPPoE can be setup in Windows XP under network connections, no need to use the junk they provide.

lytalbayre
03-08-06, 03:52 PM
PPPoE can be setup in Windows XP under network connections, no need to use the junk they provide.

Didn't know that... I'll have to look into this as I hated having to use the SBC disc to set-up the connection.

Roadhog
03-08-06, 06:23 PM
hey I need help... I got my dsl up and everything... And now my pc is randomly locking up... It seems to lock up when i stop a download... Is it the modem or something?

Riptide
03-08-06, 07:23 PM
I had Qwest in the Billings MT area. Same state as Roadhog, same lousy worthless POS company. Qwest's old nickname was US Worst (ie, US West).

IMO Bresnan cable is a better deal. My ping times in CSS were significantly better with cable modem vs. the Qwest DSL. I dumped the DSL and stuck with bresnan.

But then if you can't get Bresnan... I'd stick with the DSL. lol

BTW I know someone had to have mentioned this already but don't use the MSN software.

Roadhog
03-08-06, 08:48 PM
yah, i didnt have to use the msn stuff... though now everytime i close a P2P program like azureus or stuff my pc locks up...

Riptide
03-08-06, 09:13 PM
Doesn't make any sense why it would do that. Hard lockups?

Son Goku
03-08-06, 09:57 PM
I had Qwest in the Billings MT area. Same state as Roadhog, same lousy worthless POS company. Qwest's old nickname was US Worst (ie, US West).

:rofl That's the same name we used to refer to them in New Mexico also. In fact, when I was taking network topologies, the lesson on telephone systems, was well different. The teacher had a 2.5 hour lecture which was a Qworst bash fest (their new nick here). He probably had more jokular comments about the phone company, what they do wrong, issues with them, his heavily multi-plexed phone service that can't pull greater then 2.4 Kbps over a dialup connection at home, etc...

In fact, when he told us about a tech show that was comming up in Albuq then, he mentioned the last time he hung out at the Qworst booth, telling them all the problems with their service, and how they should do things differently :lol2: The actual lecture was on phone wiring and the like, to setup voice service in a given office building, to go along with the data service we were learning to wire, and setup for peeps... (AKA layer 1 in the OSI model).

But then if you can't get Bresnan... I'd stick with the DSL. lol

BTW I know someone had to have mentioned this already but don't use the MSN software.

I used to be a Qwest.net customer, and then one "fine" day in December 2002 I got that dreaded "forced migration" notice that many have talked about. I came home from watching Fellowship of the Ring, opened my email, and there it was.

One look at dslreports.com; and all the horror stories from those who went that forced migration route, mention of them blocking sendmail port 25 in the DSL modem, and other stuff, need to use MS only email software, and I said no way in hell... I called them up before my service expired, and told them I do not like MSN, I will not switch to MSN, and to cancel my service. I've had Speakeasy DSL (which also goes through Covad as a CLEC), ever since...

Riptide
03-08-06, 10:07 PM
Qworst... lol. I'll have to remember to bring that up @ work tomorrow. Qworst is responsible for all our DSL stuff.

The main problem I had with them was the horrible customer service. My wife had a cell phone from them, tried to cancel it, and it was just hell to get those morons to take it off the bill. Several times over she was told they would remove it from the bill only to keep seeing it show up.

I had several issues w/my DSL. I didn't want to pay the ISP fee since I could get e-mail elsewhere, had been told by friends you could do that, etc.. Turns out no you could not but twice I was assured by Qworst they wouldn't charge me that ISP fee. Turns out that was nonsense.

Ah well I'm done with them. Unless they are the only game in town forget it. We even cancelled our land line and use Verizon for wireless phone. Cable for internet. :)

Roadhog
03-08-06, 10:10 PM
lol, whatever.. mine works perfect... and the customer support is great imo.. i think they have really changed from all the stuff youve said.

DC Your Dead
03-09-06, 10:17 AM
When i switched from DSL to CABLE my ping dropped 20 to same server.During a months time though your routing will change.Goto start,all programs,accessories and command prompt.Type "tracert" ip adress"69.90.112.124" enter.This will show you your routing path if enabled by isp.

Son Goku
03-09-06, 11:45 PM
Qworst... lol. I'll have to remember to bring that up @ work tomorrow. Qworst is responsible for all our DSL stuff.

The main problem I had with them was the horrible customer service. My wife had a cell phone from them, tried to cancel it, and it was just hell to get those morons to take it off the bill. Several times over she was told they would remove it from the bill only to keep seeing it show up.

Ugh, that's like what my experience was canceling CompuServe after AO-Hell merged with them. They said they'd keep the operations seperate, but they did end up merging the billing depts. And that's when things went bad. A bit of a long story in itself; but when I canceled service, they kept billing me... Yup, I got a string of billing probs that America Offline customers had been complaining about for years, and I didn't even sign up with em bozos. It took going down to my credit union, filling out papers claiming fraudulent charges to my check card, and then the bank launching an investigation.

After this, they had the nerve to mail me a month latter and complain that my bank seems to refuse to pay them and asked me to submit payment by other means :udawg: Of course they refused to send them payment. They conducted a fraud investigation, and obviously determined these charges weren't legit ;)

I had several issues w/my DSL. I didn't want to pay the ISP fee since I could get e-mail elsewhere, had been told by friends you could do that, etc.. Turns out no you could not but twice I was assured by Qworst they wouldn't charge me that ISP fee. Turns out that was nonsense.

Oh, wait to you hear what happened to me one night. It was 12:45 am, and the time is significant for what follows. The DSL went down, and I started by running some trace routes, and other tests. I determined that I could successfully trace to the Internet gateway, aka Qworst's border router, and 2 additional hops in their network. Then everything died...

So I call up their support line and explain this to the guy on the phone. He refuses to believe me, and was of the type that understood nothing but "reboot your router, reboot your computer" :eek: He's sending me through hoops, as I'm trying to explain the problem can't be at my end, else I wouldn't be able to trace into their network. He insists "oh, it can't be us, because no one else has called yet" :rofl It was almost 1 am then, by the time I got to this, and most people would obviously be in bed. I also called shortly after it went out, which didn't leave much time for others to have called first.

Then he sends me on a wild goose chase in the router and actually yells at me for trying to "confuse him" by using Cisco shortcuts he didn't know himself :rofl

It would be things like him saying to enter

show ip interface brief

but I would type

sh ip int b

which is the same command, less typing :D Mind you, I also had taken network topologies, and we worked on Cisco routers so... Bleh, if he said it now, I've got a computer networking degree (they sent the diploma a few weeks back), and took all the classes for a CCNA After his constantly "reboot the router" in an endless loop, and my trying to give him networking 101 for awhile I got tired of this, and told him he should really report this. Gave him the info from the traceroutes, what IPs I could trace to, and where the connection was braking off. Otherwise, I'm getting tired of this conv by now (was like 40 minutes of this), and bye...

I called back 2-2.5 hours latter when things were still not up, and got a different tech. This went different though, as his first words were

Yeah, we have detected a city wide DSL outage for the city of Albuquerque, we now have crews on this. We don't have an ETA, but it shouldn't be too much longer

... (conv by both of us)...Did you manage to get that guys badge number? Honestly, he didn't even know what traceroute is? :lol: I swear, some of these new recruits need to be sent back to training...

john19055
03-11-06, 12:58 AM
I remember 6 months ago when I got my DSL and getting rid of my slow slow slow Dial-up was a great day,I was finealy able to download things faster then 5.5kps.