PDA

View Full Version : looks like Oblivion now have competition.. Savage2

Pages : [1] 2

Nv40
03-01-06, 01:22 AM
AT least graphics wise.. :)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=16494&stc=1&d=1141194905

http://www.shacknews.com/screens.x/savage2/Savage+2:+A+Tortured+Soul/1/thumbs/002_f.jpg

THis is an FPS+RTS+RPG+ insertgenre_here game..

http://savage2.s2games.com/

And this one support self shadowing.. :) use perpixel lighting and the forest and characters looks very detailed.

the major drawback is that is doesnt support single player.

http://savage2.s2games.com/

also ,that will be online distribution only. more info about its gameplay in their site .

SH64
03-01-06, 01:30 AM
Wait for sometime & all these features will go away due to "performance" reasons ;)

jAkUp
03-01-06, 01:35 AM
Wow nice :) The characters look a little plasticy though... heh

Zelda_fan
03-01-06, 01:36 AM
BTW Oblivion still supports self shadowing. The only thing that is out is shadowing on havok objects (which makes sense if you think about it. Imagine 20 objects go flying when you release a fireball and having to calculate dynamic shadows for each individual object).

But yes, the game looks VERY nice. The only thing is is that it is multiplayer only. I would love a single player game with those graphics.

SH64
03-01-06, 01:36 AM
Oh & no SP ? .. meh

CaptNKILL
03-01-06, 01:50 AM
Looks pretty good, but I wouldnt say it looks better than Oblivion... the grass looks like the stuff we've been seeing for years, and the ground textures are "eh". The monster looks decent, but not very believable... Nice trees though... I wouldnt say they beat Oblivions, but they are nice :D

SDinc
03-01-06, 02:01 AM
Ah, forget about the graphics. Savage was a great game. (That no one played). All of those that are tired of the boring repetitive gameplay of 95% of all new games today should be cheering at this news.

CaptNKILL
03-01-06, 02:16 AM
Ah, forget about the graphics. Savage was a great game. (That no one played). All of those that are tired of the boring repetitive gameplay of 95% of all new games today should be cheering at this news.
I played the demo... it seemed pretty decent, but I didnt really get into it. I barely remember what it was like actually. I know it was absolutely nothing like an elder scrolls game though... or any RPG for that matter. It was unique, I dont think it really did anything for me though.

Tork64
03-01-06, 03:33 AM
it looks lovely graphic wise. But I wonder if it has the same freedom as oblivion does. Im so hungry right now for a new game and oblivion will hold me off. March whatever the date is cant come soon enough.

Knot3D
03-01-06, 04:35 AM
Artistically well done. Self shadowing = nice. All hard edge shadows though. Oblivion might have slightly higher polycount.

jolle
03-01-06, 04:40 AM
Gothic 3 is prolly the closes competitor so far, but S2 looks nice atleast.

Subtestube
03-01-06, 04:47 AM
Savage 2 is only comparable to Oblivion in terms of graphics - nothing else. Savage is nothing like that sprawling style of RPG... I mean.. nothing like it. There's no reason for me to even explain the differences, because it's totally different. Awesome though - very very cool at a LAN. The commander-base builder/soldier dynamic is really really good, and the way that actual battle tactics emerge from the different unit types makes a coherent team much more awesome than a skilled group of individual soldiers. I'd say it's much more like a medieval/magical Battlefield 2 than it is like an Elder Scrolls game.

Awesome though - play it with friends, and it rules.

Nv40
03-01-06, 11:01 AM
Oblivion might have slightly higher polycount.

ARe u sure about that? :)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=16512&stc=1&d=1141229176

BEcause last time i saw.. Oblivion monters doesnt even have fingers..(low polys) in the screenshots released. aside note.. neither looks like they have selfshadowing .the outdoor lightning and the water looks with more detail in savage2.. , one of the most detailed and higher poly melee combat game ever made (if not the most) ,the only other pcgame (melee combat) more detailed is PROject Offset but that one is an engine tech,more than anything.

Btw..im really excited about Oblivion ,and while it have very nice graphics (at times) ,its more for its gameplay than anything .

Acid Rain
03-01-06, 11:11 AM
Ooops.

Acid Rain
03-01-06, 11:30 AM
Wow. Nice models. :)

Holy hell, is that the finest shadow system ever designed or what? Look at the stretched horn shadow? :eek:Oh & no SP ? .. mehAgreed. Give me single player, or give me death. I've totally had my fill of online games.ARe u sure about that?

BEcause last time i saw.. Oblivion monters doesnt even have fingers..(low polys) in the screenshots released. Check harder.;) Some of the best monster "fingers" in the business, actually.

Knot3D
03-01-06, 11:37 AM
^ True.

That particular Oblivion monster looks lower poly. On average basis, Oblivion is slight higher poly i think.

It's just that the Savage 2 modelers use their poly budget very very well.

SlamDunk
03-01-06, 11:37 AM
Just a quick heads up:

Gothic 3 > * :D

CaptNKILL
03-01-06, 11:43 AM
Just a quick heads up:

Gothic 3 > * :D
Im sure everyone will agree up to their 470,000th death within the first hour of play :D

Nv40
03-01-06, 11:48 AM
Wow. Nice models. :)

Holy hell, is that the finest shadow system ever designed or what? Look at the stretched horn shadow? :eek:Agreed. Give me single player, or give me death. I've totally had my fill of online games.Check harder.;) Some of the best monster "fingers" in the business, actually.

Interesting... :)
THanks for the shots ,some are new to me. point taken about the fingers.. hehe

THe grass looks far better in oblivion in the outdoors,everthing else looks more detailed in SAVage2.. trees ,water ,lighting ,shadows. I think each game have their pros and cons. But having no singleplayer in savage ,is a no contest for oblivion .perhaps savage multiplayer will be awesome.

Acid Rain
03-01-06, 12:03 PM
Just a quick heads up:

Gothic 3 > * :DThey've got a lot of work to do to make it compete for my attention. It's visuals are great, but there needs to be a LOT more than that this time to garner more than a passing interest from me.

SlamDunk
03-01-06, 12:33 PM
...there needs to be a LOT more than that this time to garner more than a passing interest from me.
Hehe... it's just like that with Oblivion for me. I also read that there will be no demo so, it's a 100% sure thing that I'm not going to buy the game. Despite all the previews etc. I fear it's the same old Morrowind borefest but with updated graphics.

gmontem
03-01-06, 12:42 PM
When are Gothic 3 and Savage2 coming out? I can't see how these two games are considered competitors to Oblivion if they're not released within the same time frame.

Subtestube
03-01-06, 03:10 PM
Sorry to restate this: Savage 2 is not the same type of game as Oblivion AT ALL. One is a team style multiplayer RTS/FPS/TPS in the style of a kind of more detailed Battlefield, only with a mystical setting, and the other is an RPG. I can't see why they're being compared as targets for purchase unless graphics are the ONLY qualifying feature for a purchase. Considering everyone keeps saying "I don't want it if it doesn't have single player....", clearly graphics AREN'T the only qualifying feature for purchase.

Besides which, Savage 2 has no announced release date.

To sum up: In terms of upcoming games, you'd be better off to compare Savage 2 with Quake Wars than with Oblivion! The only similarity is setting / art style: That's IT!

SDinc
03-01-06, 08:54 PM
I played the demo... it seemed pretty decent, but I didnt really get into it. I barely remember what it was like actually. I know it was absolutely nothing like an elder scrolls game though... or any RPG for that matter. It was unique, I dont think it really did anything for me though.

Its a multiplayer FPS/RTS hybrid. Basically you have to create structures, research technologies in order to open new weapons and abilities, and, at the same time, attack the other team's players and structures to stop them from advancing. (A bit like the HL1 mod Natural Selection). This created quite a complex game that was very deep. But, the steep learning curve kept noobs out and also hurt sales.

Nv40
03-03-06, 11:47 PM
Gothic3 looks like the real OBlivion killer..

this http://www.gothic3.com/index.php?do=0970991161051111100611030971081081011 14121038103097108108101114121061083099114101101110 115104111116115038105109097103101061045049

have some earlier screenshots .. if the game plays as good as it looks it will be perhaps the best RPG.

Two worlds is another game that medieval Fantasy RPG fans should look forward.

http://www.tothegame.com/screenshot.asp?id=4897