PDA

View Full Version : VGA Power Supply to be revealed at CeBIT

FraGTastiK
03-01-06, 08:44 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=16507&stc=1&d=1141223643

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=16508&stc=1&d=1141223671

Power consumption of modern graphics processing units (GPUs) have been rising consistently in the recent decade and has now reached about 120W per graphics card. In a bid to provide overclockers and owners of low-performance power supplies with opportunity to use high-end latest graphics cards, power supply manufacturer FSP is planning to unveil a special power supply designed to feed only graphics cards.

The VGA power supply from FSP fits into any spare 5.25 slot and can provide a graphics card up to 300W of power (25A current on +12V rail). Given that maximum power consumption of a modern high-end graphics card, such as ATI Radeon X1900 XTX or Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX 512, is 120W and 95W respectively, a 300W power supply will work even for those demanding a multi-GPU system.

The product from FSP will activate automatically once the personal computer (PCs) is turned on and will be able to work with 100V 240V volts power outlets. The power supply will have two 40mm cooling fans that will act depending on the temperature.

Given the positioning of the product, the part is equipped with blue LEDs to fit into computers of enthusiasts who usually mod their PCs.

FSP will officially announce its VGA power supply at CeBIT show in Hannover, Germany, in March, 2006. The company has yet to disclose pricing of the part, something which may crucially affect popularity of the product.

Source:X-bitlabs

Good for SLI I think.It should help removing any limiting factor a pair of high-end overclocked video cards might creat in terms of power consumption hampering your CPU's overclocking potential.(I had a first hand experience with that phenomenon)

grey_1
03-01-06, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the post. If price/performance/thermals are good I'll be snagging one!:)

J-Mag
03-01-06, 11:53 AM
Interesting... However, I have heard of many people killing their cards (mostly ATI users) when running dual PSUs. Obviously they were running the Mobo and components off of one and the GPU off another.

If they don't have two PCI-E power connectors on it, that would be idiotic.

Also, where the hell do you plug the thing in... Obviously it needs a standard outlet for power... Does this mean an AC power cable will be snaking through your case?

FraGTastiK
03-01-06, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the post. If price/performance/thermals are good I'll be snagging one!

You're welcome.

Interesting... However, I have heard of many people killing their cards (mostly ATI users) when running dual PSUs. Obviously they were running the Mobo and components off of one and the GPU off another.

If they don't have two PCI-E power connectors on it, that would be idiotic.

Also, where the hell do you plug the thing in... Obviously it needs a standard outlet for power... Does this mean an AC power cable will be snaking through your case?

Yep FSP Group should have that covered, or else there would be more dead cards.Its funny though how X1900 XFire should run off a single +12V rail PSU.

AFAIK the idead of dual PSU was to run HDDs Fans Optical Drives and other components like Water Pump, Cathod Lights off the Extra PSU.Mainboard and VGAs should run on the main power.

I had tested dual power on my own system soldering a hand made Y splitter so that both PSUs turn on at the same time.But since I couldnt assure myself that there would be no harm done to my system I decided to drop the whole corny combination and stick to single PSU.Also I've heard that Dual PSU may corrupt your HDD data at some point.Although there are people running dual PSUs but you never know when you are gonna have that unfortunate accident that will cost you >1300$.

SLippe
03-01-06, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the post. If price/performance/thermals are good I'll be snagging one!:)
What he said. Good point, J-Mag, about the power cable. This would look cool in my case, but I wish the front plate was black, instead of beige. Maybe it will come with one to swap out.

jAkUp
03-01-06, 10:46 PM
Holy crap that is badass

FraGTastiK
03-08-06, 01:16 PM
Thermaltake also.

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/PurePower/w0099/w0099.asp?

There's more info on that page about how you're supposed to connect the VGA PSU to the rest of your system.

Tt power supplies?I dont know, I'll pass thank you.

FraGTastiK
03-30-06, 06:56 AM
Looks like Tt managed to certify their VGA PSU, its now carrying the SLI badge.Wonder how long does it take till we see a review of this thing on a power demanding system not some A643000/512MBRAM/2x6600GT kinda system that some PSU reviews use.(no offense to people with that kinda config.)