PDA

View Full Version : Capture Card

toxikneedle
03-01-06, 11:53 AM
Hey guys I'm currently looking to get a PCI TV Tuner/Capture card so I can record some footage and take screenshots off of my 360. If anyone can recommend any for 50-70$ pricetag, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

toxikneedle
03-01-06, 05:19 PM
I'm thinking of getting the Pinnacle PCTV 50i, since I heard pinnacle has very good quality video capture:

http://pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/PCTV+Tuners/PCTV+Analog+PVR+%28cable_antenna%29/PCTV+50i.htm

Q
03-01-06, 05:25 PM
A model based on the ATI Theater Pro 550 will have very, very good quality. There is a bit of delay before the image would be displayed compared to real time, since its hardware based, but most solutions now are hardware based.

Exception being Compro based cards. They are software and have IQ second only to the ATI. These don't have lag, if you're worried about that.

I haven't read much on the Pinnacle, to be honest.

toxikneedle
03-01-06, 05:42 PM
Well I don't care too much about lag, but wait... its lagging because its doing hardware based encoding? I dont want that, I want to record to raw avi and edit and encode from that.

I might go pick up this one tomorrow, it's going for 85 in a store next to me:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814129050

Q
03-01-06, 07:49 PM
Hmm....yeah the lag would be from encoding. I'm thinking that if its something that you could "turn off" on one card you could do it on any. I'm not sure of any cards that natively capture raw avi, however if any do they all should.

That's a good deal for a local card, and it comes with some very good software for tv watching if you're interested in getting some more out of the card.

toxikneedle
03-01-06, 08:20 PM
Well I don't got a tv in my room, just my PC and my clothes, I play my 360 through my monitor. So I'm just hoping for good quality.

Q
03-01-06, 08:30 PM
If you're thinking about playing it through the card through the PC to the monitor, you're going to hope that DScaler allows it to bypass the encoder on most cards. Otherwise, your going to have a 1 second delay between the XBOX and the time it displays.

toxikneedle
03-01-06, 08:51 PM
Oh no, I'm already playing it through my monitor, I need the capture card to take screenshots and record videos for it.

Q
03-01-06, 09:00 PM
So are you going to split the feed from the Xbox? Or somehow run it from the monitor to the capture card?

If its going to go from the xbox to the PC capture card to system and out through the video card, you'll see the latency.

toxikneedle
03-01-06, 09:02 PM
Well what I'm gonna do is use the RCA connection that came with my 360 for the capture card whenever I need to record stuff.

Whenever I'll be just playing normally, I'll use my VGA cable that I bought for the 360.

So i'll just plug RCA in when I need to take screenshots, and when I don't I'll plug the VGA back in.

toxikneedle
03-02-06, 06:04 PM
Well I got the card today, and the quality really is amazing. Installing it was a breeze and it was just what I needed. Thanks Qlitchford.

BTW, this is my first ATi product since the Radeon 9700 pro.

Q
03-02-06, 06:58 PM
No, problem, toxikneedle. I just got mine today too! Mine is the Diamond brand card that came with the Firefly remote and Snapstream for about what you paid for yours! I think like $5 more. Too bad I'm going to be using it in Media Center, so I laid down $30 for the MS remote. I'm going to do a wipe and reload before I install it (actually before the reload part..), because of a new mobo and sound card.

And BTW...first ATI product since the Radeon 9800 Pro. :D

(Other than the first time I bought this capture card and was highly dissapointed due to the integrated software at the time...)

Riptide
03-02-06, 07:02 PM
Isn't analog TV going away?

Q
03-02-06, 07:06 PM
Isn't analog TV going away?

Eventually yes, but I think that regards broadcast television. It's very likely that cable is going to be analog for a while for a lot of us, especially in rural areas and at universities. Plus it isn't going to happen until Feb 2009, if then. We remember how the first deadline went.