PDA

View Full Version : New build and HDD isn't being detected

Marvel_us
03-01-06, 09:10 PM
Hey guys I need some help.

This is a new build and I have the ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 mobo w/ a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB SATA150 HDD. For some reason the HDD is not detected in the BIOS or when I bootup and install with the XP cd.

Is the drive bad or something?

AliceCooper
03-03-06, 05:22 PM
Try using the SeaDisk tool at boot up. This will format and recognise the HDD before boot-up. You should then be able to boot.

Try flashing the bios to ensure it has SATA support

Failing that make sure you have no PATA drives in and make the SATA drive Disk 1 to boot from.

Good luck, my SATA works nice on dual boot X64 on PATA drive.

Viventis
03-05-06, 09:29 AM
Some Sata/motherboard combinations need the raid software (even if you have only 1 drive) installed by floppy before Windows recognizes the drive. Make sure you have the raid drivers on a floppy first. If not, check carefully on your hard drive cd and you will almost surely find a floppy creation utility. After you have the floppy, use the Windows setup cd and select the option to install a raid controller. This will be early in the process. It will eventually ask you to insert the floppy. After that you should be good to go.

Marvel_us
03-05-06, 12:57 PM
Thanks guys. I will try these and see what happens.

tacos4me
03-05-06, 03:26 PM
You did set your jumper correctly, right?

Son Goku
03-05-06, 05:22 PM
I think he said the problem was it not being seen in the BIOS. The raid software, though it could effect the OS, wouldn't effect the BIOS itself...

Just 1 quick check here, and somewhat in line with what the previous poster asked. Did you make sure that the SATA controllers are enabled in the BIOS settings? If you disable the bus, (as I did with all IDE and SATA controllers on my mobo, as all my drives are SCSI, and go through a PCI SCSI controller, except for an external USB 2.0 DVD burner and external HDD), there won't be any way for the BIOS to detect this...

Check any jumpers that might be available as tacos4me suggested, and check the BIOS options to make sure the controller isn't disabled...

saturnotaku
03-05-06, 06:23 PM
SATA drives don't have jumpers.

Marvel_us
03-05-06, 07:50 PM
Yea everything was enabled. Just for the record don't pay attention to my sig, this isn't my pc. It's only one hdd being installed and it's not being detected.

I tried manually installing the SATA drivers, no go.

john19055
03-05-06, 08:04 PM
Some of the SATA have jumper so you can set them back to run at STA150 instead of 300 and in your Bios if you do not have SATA enabled it will not show up and on your hard drive settings in your bois make sure you have the
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB as your first harddrive,if you have more then just that drive.

tymon
03-09-06, 05:29 PM
best advice i can offer is to rtfm, in other words read the f manual. Make sure your raid bios is setup correctly. most new boards are coming out with 2/3 bios's. I'm using a gigabyte k8nu-sli. 1 cmos, 1 bios for nvidia sata and one for si sata.

Marvel_us
03-15-06, 11:55 AM
It wasn't because I didn't "rtfm", it was because the drive was defective. Replacement came yesterday and everything works fine now.

Thanks for the responses.