PDA

View Full Version : 4 Questions for the experts:

nvnunkb
03-01-06, 10:31 PM
I just bought a Gateway GT5032. I am not a gamer; I just wanted a more powerful PC than I had before. It has an integrated Geforce 6100 video chip and 1gb of PC3200 ram (two slots still open).
1) Please refrain from flaming me, but contrary to what everyone else wants, I want to temporarily DECREASE the 256mb of "shared" video ram to 128mb to give more memory to the system (I'll change it back later if/when I get more ram). I was told you could change the amount of ram the video chip uses, but I can't find out how (not listed in BIOS, motherboard manual, Nvidia site, etc.). Anyone know if this is possible and how?
2) If I can't reduce the shared ram (or even if I can), I'll probably buy 1 more gb of ram. Some of the specs say it's PC3200 ram, a test I ran says it's PC4200. If it's PC4200 and I use PC3200 will it slow down the system (or not work at all)? If it's PC3200 and I use PC4200 will it work ok?
3) Some of the ram I found is CL 2.5 and some is CL 3. Does it matter which one I get (does it have to match mine)?
4) I think the motherboard has on-board Raid capabilities but it has been removed from the BIOS by Gateway (I'm just guessing here, because of some research I've been doing on the Nvidia MB - Geforce 6100 nForce 410). If this is correct, how can I re-enable the Raid function in the BIOS (If I try to flash it with Nvidia's BIOS rather than Gateway's, will I blow up my new PC?).
Thanks in advance for the help.

Rytr
03-01-06, 11:39 PM
Your ram should be PC3200, 400MHz. A free software program such as CPU-Z should identify it and give you the latency. Good 2.5 or 3.0 PC3200 should work with no problem.
You have room for one more HDD other than the existing 250GB with 2MB cache. You could easily add a HDD to provide more storage. However, your system was not set up for Raid and that is why it was probably disabled. I would not chance a Bios flash other than what is offered by the mfg.
As for decreasing the 'shared ram' I have heard that can be done although I never looked in to doing it as it could give more problems than it's worth.

nvnunkb
03-02-06, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the info.

j0j081
03-02-06, 06:59 PM
It may be an option in the bios.

ynnek
03-03-06, 06:31 PM
If you are still scared about buying generic ram, cause of weird compatibilities (like differnet CL's), you can always go to the memory manufacturer website, like kingston.com or crucial.com and enter your model number.. They will give you the exact OEM replacement match.. Then you can search your favorite shops for the best price for that specifc model #. It may be a hair more expensive than buying generic ram, but probably loads cheaper than buying from Gateway.

PaiN
03-04-06, 03:23 PM
2) If I can't reduce the shared ram (or even if I can), I'll probably buy 1 more gb of ram. Some of the specs say it's PC3200 ram, a test I ran says it's PC4200. If it's PC4200 and I use PC3200 will it slow down the system (or not work at all)? If it's PC3200 and I use PC4200 will it work ok?
The safest way to purchase a RAM upgrade for this PC is to simply call Gateway, tell them what model you have and how much more RAM you want...then they will ship correct and compatiable memory.

nvnunkb
03-06-06, 09:24 PM
I just received 1 more Gb (2 x 512Mb) of ram and installed it. Now when I boot, the post lists DDR 333 when it used to list DDR 400. Did I get screwed? Is there a way for me to test the speed of my two original sticks with the two new ones (while all are in the pc)? I tried CPU-Z and it shows PC3200 (200MHz) for the original and the new sticks, but the SPD Timing Tables are different: On the original sticks the Freqency is 200, the CAS# Latency is 3, the RAS# to CAS# is 3, the RAS# Precharge is 3, and the TRas# is 8. On the new sticks the Freqency is 200, the CAS# Latency is 2.5, the RAS# to CAS# is 4, the RAS# Precharge is 4, and the TRas# is 8. Does that mean the new sticks are slower than the original sticks? Will I notice a difference (should I panic and send the sticks back)?
Thanks again for the help.

PaiN
03-06-06, 09:52 PM
I just received 1 more Gb (2 x 512Mb) of ram and installed it. Now when I boot, the post lists DDR 333 when it used to list DDR 400. Did I get screwed? Is there a way for me to test the speed of my two original sticks with the two new ones (while all are in the pc)? I tried CPU-Z and it shows PC3200 (200MHz) for the original and the new sticks, but the SPD Timing Tables are different: On the original sticks the Freqency is 200, the CAS# Latency is 3, the RAS# to CAS# is 3, the RAS# Precharge is 3, and the TRas# is 8. On the new sticks the Freqency is 200, the CAS# Latency is 2.5, the RAS# to CAS# is 4, the RAS# Precharge is 4, and the TRas# is 8. Does that mean the new sticks are slower than the original sticks? Will I notice a difference (should I panic and send the sticks back)?
Thanks again for the help.

Gateway=Pentium4?
If it is, when you fill all 4 DIMMS slots on certain chipsets, they either kick back to 333 and\or single channel operation.
I don't think there is much you can do about it.

nvnunkb
03-06-06, 10:23 PM
Do I need to make the new sticks and old sticks match each other (CS)? If so, how (nothing about CS, Latency, etc. in BIOS)?

To answer the last poster's question:
Gateway 5032
AMD 64X2 Dual Core 4200+

Thanks.

ynnek
03-07-06, 11:21 AM
Its most likely the best the AMD board will run stable with all 4 slots... Lots of AMD boards need to slow down a bit when all 4 slots are filled.

nvnunkb
03-07-06, 01:25 PM
But what I'm trying to figure out is:
Is it OK that the speed settings differ on the 2 original sticks vs. the 2 new sticks (CPU-Z test shows different speeds as noted earlier in the thread)?
Thanks.