PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Pincushioning

seeker
03-02-06, 03:01 AM
I have a KDS monitor, and it has all of the controls needed to adjust the picture on the screen, except pincushioning on the top and bottom of the screen. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a program that would be able to adjust this also? One program that I am not interested in, is PowerStrip, because I tried that on a brand new KDS monitor a few years ago, and it blew the picture tube. Worse yet, when I contacted Entech about this, they not only were of no help, they became quite abusive. Fortunately, since it was new, I got it replaced by the local vendor, but I do not travel the same road where I have been beset upon before. Besides, this is not a new monitor.

j0j081
03-02-06, 04:53 AM
hmm. if there aren't any controls for it builtin are you sure it's meant to be adjusted?

seeker
03-02-06, 10:23 AM
No, I'm not sure of anything. However, since PowerStrip had controls that were meant for monitors that did not have them, I would have assumed that this isn't necessary. However, considering the effect that PowerStrip had last time, perhaps a program such as this shouldn't be used at all...I'm just asking a question, and have no answers.

j0j081
03-02-06, 07:57 PM
I'm just answering your question with a question.

seeker
03-03-06, 06:38 AM
You must be a female. :)

ynnek
03-03-06, 11:27 AM
OKay, its theoreticaly possible to damage monitors if you send it bad signals outside of its intended operating range. Thats why they try to put some protection, aka, monitor flips off, when the signal's out of range.

Powerstrip is a really powerful tool... and probably the best one out there. Powerful tools can do things, that were not intended to be done.. For better or for WORSE!

KDS support was angry, because you obviously used a third party tool, and blately tried to fiddle with things that weren't suppose to.. broke the monitor.. and then called up and wondered why its broken.

Here's an anaolgy.. In your house, you have a window stuck close. You have a hammer.. You could try to carefully wack the window along the frame, to perhaps knock it loose, so that it opens. The hammer also is a pretty powerful tool, and it also easily gives the ability to shatter the glass too.. Powerful tools, in the hands of clueless users, can yield very bad results. ;)

BTW, what exactly did you do to blow up the picture tube? I'm just curious.... Would be a neat parlor trick. heh.

seeker
03-03-06, 11:44 AM
ynnek

First off, it was not KDS that gave me any trouble, it was Entech, the makers of PowerStrip. I really couldn't care less if I had something to do with misusing their software or not. I did not contact them with any demands about replacing the monitor, or any other kind of responsibility. I simply thought that they should know what happened, and might advise me on how to avoid another incident like that. They immediately became flip, sarcastic and outright abusive. At this point, I really do not care if PowerStrip is the best or worst, I would never touch it again...or any other product from Entech. Ironically, they used an analogy similar to your hammer, but with far less point. The only reason that I was messing with it in the first place, was because of cousin of mine was looking for something like this, and I was testing it for her. I was not doing anything extraordinary, I was simply adjusting the shape of the picture, in a fashion that I could have done with the KDS controls.

ynnek
03-03-06, 01:08 PM
oops, I misread that sorry.

Anyways, just be careful what you do when you start messing around with monitor timings manually with a 3rd party tool.

With CRT's, if its not easily accessable through the physical controls or the software included, its probably not meant to be messed around with. There's certain stuff that the cheaper models simply aren't flexable.

I honestly am a bit surprised that it caused the monitor to blow out, since in theory it could happen, but never seen it actually done.

seeker
03-03-06, 01:55 PM
According to Entech, it was impossible for the software to have such an effect. I buy KDS because they are inexpensive. I also prefer CRTs. However, the last KDS did not have this kind of pincushioning. It's not really very noticeable, until you look at the screen long enough.

ynnek
03-03-06, 04:11 PM
According to Entech, it was impossible for the software to have such an effect. I buy KDS because they are inexpensive. I also prefer CRTs. However, the last KDS did not have this kind of pincushioning. It's not really very noticeable, until you look at the screen long enough.

I know exactly what you are saying.. I finally gave in and now use a nice LCD.. The way I look at it, if you spend $500 on a nice LCD, hopefully you'll ues it for 4 years perfectly, rather than spending a bunch of money on cheap CRT's..while ruining your eyes more.

j0j081
03-03-06, 08:43 PM
I know exactly what you are saying.. I finally gave in and now use a nice LCD.. The way I look at it, if you spend $500 on a nice LCD, hopefully you'll ues it for 4 years perfectly, rather than spending a bunch of money on cheap CRT's..while ruining your eyes more.
care to paypal me $500? My eyes are killing me while typing this. D:

seeker
03-05-06, 01:39 PM
I find CRTs to be less of a strain on the eyes than LCDs, and alot less strain on the pocketbook.
I could almost replace this monitor 5 times, for the cost of one $500 LCD. My last CRT lasted 2 years before it was stolen, and I now have 1 year on this one. If it is anything like a TV, I would expect it to last more than 4 years, but I will let you know in 3 years more.

ynnek
03-06-06, 06:36 PM
I dunno man.. especialyl looking at text, I rather be staring at a good LCD than a good CRT. I find my CRT's start getting faded and fuzzy after about 2 years or so..

But in the ends, its whatever makes you happy :)