Pages : [1] 2

Peoples-Agent
03-02-06, 10:41 AM
New Purevideo today....

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder_1.02-196-trial.html

Probably wrong section, but nevermind.

Xophile
03-02-06, 11:38 AM
Huh? Is it a trial or is it free nowadays? Nvidia lists serial etc on the site?

zoomy942
03-02-06, 11:56 AM
30 day trial

Xophile
03-02-06, 12:01 PM
I thought they were to suppose to deliver this for free after ATIs move?

Mr_LoL
03-02-06, 12:06 PM
Yay the card I have now doesnt support high definition content.

PeterJensen
03-02-06, 12:29 PM
Damn my little 7300GS baby rocks :) More video features then a 6800Ultra.

CrazyIvan
03-02-06, 02:22 PM
Dumb question, is it only possible to purchase this with a US or Canadian address? On store.nvidia.com is said that Purevideo can only be purchased from the US or from Canada.

CainSyris
03-02-06, 03:42 PM
Just in time for the newest nVidia video card. Yay! My GF6800GT with "Purevideo support" continues to fall behind when compared to virtually any other video card that costed a similar amount!

So, one has to wonder when the scams will stop with nVidia. So HD inverse telecine is supported on the GF6800Ultra, but not on the GF6800GT. Is there any good reason why this is? I mean, there's only clockspeed difference between the two.

Or is it perhaps nVidia just making an artificial difference to try and catch up with ATI's idiotic resolution difference between their X1300, X1600, and X1800/X1900 products.

What is with these video card companies lately? Why advertise what you don't fully support (HDCP)? Why not make it clearer to follow what is needed to support what you advertise (proper Purevideo support or Avivo requirements needing a ATI-official board)?

Honestly, I've given up on proper WMV support on my AGP-6600GT or my AGP 6800GT. But why would the 6800Ultra get extra HD support that the 6800GT doesn't when there's barely a difference (only clockspeed)?

I wish there was a serious third player in the video card market.

HighTest
03-02-06, 05:03 PM
So, one has to wonder when the scams will stop with nVidia. So HD inverse telecine is supported on the GF6800Ultra, but not on the GF6800GT. Is there any good reason why this is? I mean, there's only clockspeed difference between the two.

Interesting you are concerned about the "inverse telecine" when the main feature of "H.264 Decode Acceleration" is unsupported on either the 6800 Ultra or GT.

The primary reason is that these where the very first cores produced and ramped for production before they found a flaw in the PureVideo engine that broke the ability to do hardware decoding.

nVIDIA then fixed the flaw before the 6600 cores and the newer 6800 PCI-e (not the AGP) vanilla cores (GS, NU,XT and LE) were produced, and so the lower end products actually can do more than the higher end cards of that generation. Really is unfortunate for the 6800GT and Ultra users, but at least the flaw was fixed before subjecting even more card users to the same problem.

Personally, I feel that based on the original advertising of the PureVideo features during the release of the 6800GT and Ultra products that a volutary recall should be put in place and replace them with boards that have the newer core and "the working purevideo" featureset. They can then desolder and replace the cores on the recalled boards and use them for the next batch of "swaps" to fix customers H.264, HD WMV and other concerns with those two lines of products.

Q
03-02-06, 06:35 PM
Interesting you are concerned about the "inverse telecine" when the main feature of "H.264 Decode Acceleration" is unsupported on either the 6800 Ultra or GT.

The primary reason is that these where the very first cores produced and ramped for production before they found a flaw in the PureVideo engine that broke the ability to do hardware decoding.

nVIDIA then fixed the flaw before the 6600 cores and the newer 6800 PCI-e (not the AGP) vanilla cores (GS, NU,XT and LE) were produced, and so the lower end products actually can do more than the higher end cards of that generation. Really is unfortunate for the 6800GT and Ultra users, but at least the flaw was fixed before subjecting even more card users to the same problem.

Personally, I feel that based on the original advertising of the PureVideo features during the release of the 6800GT and Ultra products that a volutary recall should be put in place and replace them with boards that have the newer core and "the working purevideo" featureset. They can then desolder and replace the cores on the recalled boards and use them for the next batch of "swaps" to fix customers H.264, HD WMV and other concerns with those two lines of products.

That would cost them way too much for something they have already gotten away with. It makes me sick.

Demanufakture
03-02-06, 06:40 PM
Yup, that is one of the many reasons I upgraded from my flawed bfg 6800 gt oc to an evga 7800 gs co superclocked. Now I have full purevideo support.

RejZoR
03-02-06, 06:44 PM
The thing is that NVIDIA calls dedicated decoder and stand alone in-driver decoder the same. They are both PureVideo. But this thingie is just for DVD's so nothing too impressive. FFdShow with proper settings works cool for me.

j0j081
03-02-06, 07:45 PM
I have a flawed card and use PureVideo decoder to watch dvds all the time. Doesn't bother me too much about the lack of H.264 Decode Acceleration because I bought this card for gaming anyway and I'm assuming 95% of other owners did as well so really although a major screwup less people are hurting from this than you imagine.

Demanufakture
03-02-06, 08:49 PM
I have a flawed card and use PureVideo decoder to watch dvds all the time. Doesn't bother me too much about the lack of H.264 Decode Acceleration because I bought this card for gaming anyway and I'm assuming 95% of other owners did as well so really although a major screwup less people are hurting from this than you imagine.

True, the 6800 gt is still great for gaming and that is why I bought it. I don't even use purevideo myself(yet) because it's so expensive but I feel more comfortable having the 7800 gs because not only does it give better gaming performance but fully supports future video codecs.

CrazyIvan
03-03-06, 01:25 PM
Dumb question, is it only possible to purchase this with a US or Canadian address? On store.nvidia.com is said that Purevideo can only be purchased from the US or from Canada.
No one?

SLippe
03-03-06, 02:01 PM
Downloading the retail version now...

Xophile
03-03-06, 02:17 PM
Sorry CrazyIvan, it says only US/Canada at the moment.

(but can't say there isnšt another way for sure though)

CrazyIvan
03-03-06, 03:11 PM
Sorry CrazyIvan, it says only US/Canada at the moment.

(but can't say there isnšt another way for sure though)

Thx anyway.

Treason
03-03-06, 03:57 PM
Chalk up another customer with a flawed GeForce 6800GT AGP.

I use ffdshow like the previous post instead.

nVidia will not recall flawed hardware ever. A multinational corporation with billions in revenue in a tight two way corporate race will not risk the bottom line in recalling millions of GeForce 6x00 GT's and nForce3 motherboards.

Peoples-Agent
03-04-06, 02:55 AM
Thx anyway.

Sent you a PM.

JamesDax
03-04-06, 09:52 AM
Works great with my 6200. :-)

PikachuMan
03-04-06, 04:08 PM

I have a 'flawed' card too, no problems really. I mainly watch my DVDs on it (connected up to my 32" HDTV), and it looks better than most other players out there.

I do watch some h.264 material, mostly podcasts like dl.tv, ThisWeekinTech (www.ThisWeekinTech.com) and Macbreak (http://www.Macbreak.com) (which has a 1080p version coming), so no purevideo acceleration does hurt a bit. I'm really envious of those new ATi cards though, GPU accelerated h.264 encoding would be awesome for the PSP.

ENU291
03-07-06, 08:43 PM
How do you know if PureVideo is working??

fellix
03-08-06, 02:44 AM
/me knows, because I've just tried a .mov videofile (720p, H.264) playback in WMP10 and the CPU load was damn low, while the GPU switched to 3D mode speed - the motion was smooth as silk. ;)

Peoples-Agent
03-08-06, 03:39 AM
Would 60% CPU usage on a 1080i WMV deem it to be working?
The PureVideo icon never popped up in the taskbar.