PDA

View Full Version : Comp Freeze prob - Graphics Card Question

IOStream
03-03-06, 11:56 AM
My computer has been freezeing a bit lately, and I'm starting to go through the whole bit to try and figure out what it is. At first I thought it was Battlefield 2 just being crappy, because 99 times out of 100 it would freeze when I was playing the game. Last night I came home from supper, and it was just sitting on the desktop just idleing, and it was froze. I started to wonder if it was my video card overheating.

My question is basically what is the normal operating temp for a XFX Geforce 7800GTX. I usually just leave my computer on all day, and all night, and play battlefield 2 for a few hours each day. When all is said and done I usually see a temp thats around 55C. I decided to turn it off last night, and let it rest. I have had the computer on for about 10 minutes or so, and its already at 54C. I thought that this temp is quite normal, but I want to check with you guys. My CPU runs at 30C, but thats because I have water cooling on it. However, this leads me to believe that my GPU is running rather hot.

I'll be running tests and scans today to figure out if viral, or mal-ware is clogging up the system. It just seems to me like this shouldn't be happening, but I guess any computer running a windows operating system is going to do that once and awhile.

System:
XFX GeForce 7800GTX (With Stock hs/fan)
ASUS A8N Premium Motherboard
AMD Athlon 4400+ 64 X2 Duel Core Processor
2 gig Corsair RAM Matched Pair
160 Gig WD Hard drive
680W power supply
EXOS 2 Water cooling system (Will expand later, but right now it only cools the processor)

Any help is greatly appriciated! (With graphics card or help with the freezing problem.)

saturnotaku
03-03-06, 12:46 PM
7800 cards are engineered to withstand temperatures in excess of 100 degrees so that's likely not your problem. Your water block may not be making good contact with your processor, your power supply may be going out, there are any number of other issues it could be.

IOStream
03-08-06, 11:46 AM
If Its my water block not making a good connection with my processor, what else could I look for to be certain, because that might be possible. However, I've been monitoring that temp as well, and havn't noticed it get much higher then 40C (it was a really hot day)... most of the time it stays in the mid 30s, even while playing BF2.

I suppose if its not making a good connection, perhaps it will jump up quickly, and freeze up. I'm not sure, I don't want to pull everything appart though, it was a b***h getting it in there in the first place. ...which is why thats probably my problem...... go figure.

Edit: I've been searching around on the net, and I've actually seen other posts in other forums of people that are having freezing problems with BF2 where they have to completely reset the computer. I'll watch these posts and see if anything develops. As for the crashing at desktop, for the time being I'm going to toss it over my shoulder, since its the only time in the past 6 months this thing has crashed out of BF2, and I don't remember what I was doing prior to the crash... (maybe I was exiting BF2 and it crashed, and I just didn't notice, turned off the monitor and left...)

Superfly
03-08-06, 11:56 AM
a lock up in 2D mode is more likely to be your CPU/ram as Sat has said.

ViN86
03-09-06, 09:25 AM
have you checked your Event Viewer?
could be some insight in there.