PDA

View Full Version : Asus A8V Deluxe 2.0 and SATA2 problem

Treason
03-04-06, 04:40 AM
I've always used IDE hard drives all my life and today I bought my first SATA drive. Unfortunately I didn't realize it was a SATA2 hard drive (Seagate 300 GB SATA2 NCQ).

So naturally I'm having windows freezes/hard lock and Windows Delayed Write failures. I retrieved all the information from the hard drive as soon as I could on a successful bootup.

At first when I plugged in the hard drive into the sata port (I'm using the sata1 wires that came with the motherboard) windows immediately detected the hard drive and the wizard formatted the hard drive for me. Everything looked ok so I started to transfer information over onto it. Then the problems began.

I thought this was the problem http://seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/sata_lock.html
but it didn't help. The hard drive is making random "hard read" clicking noises like it's having problems reading when I run a program in windows even though the program has nothing to do with the hard drive.

I know nothing about serial ATA technology but I think the sata1 cables might be causing something to go wrong?

Treason
03-04-06, 04:43 AM
Err this motherboard does not support hot-plugging?:confused:

Ok it's sort of working now now that I installed the VIA sata raid utility from viaarena. Unplugged the hard drive, installed the program, then replugged it back in. No longer any hard locks or write failure warnings, but the hard drive is still making disconcerting hard clicks and long delays in reading when I browse with windows explorer.

edit:

Bleh nevermind. I got an I/O device error while copying some files and the drive disappeared from explorer.

Head_slinger
03-04-06, 09:08 AM
Heres a tip, turn off the machine plug it in. Then turn the machine back on!

Viventis
03-05-06, 09:23 AM
All Sata 2 drives should be 100% Sata 1 compatible. I think you have problem with your hard drive and should consider returning it.

Starscream
03-05-06, 03:02 PM
Did you plug this hard drive in while your computer was on???

Because that's what it sounds like from reading your post.

That's never a good idea, I wouldn't be surprised if that broke it.

john19055
03-06-06, 08:50 AM
You will need to use the jumper to make it SATA150 and then it should work fine.

Treason
03-06-06, 05:35 PM
Sorry for the confusion folks. I actually bought a SATA1 hard drive. What I meant to say is that the Asus A8V Deluxe 2.0 does not support hot plugging of SATA hard drives, which means you just can't simply turn off the computer, plug it in, turn it back on and let windows xp carry on with the new hardware wizard. So I was better off re-installing windows using a floppy disk with the SATA RAID controller driver.

Thanks for the suggestions. This hard drive is working now and has replaced all four of my old IDE drives (less heat and noise!)

Head_slinger
03-06-06, 07:27 PM
Sorry for the confusion folks. I actually bought a SATA1 hard drive. What I meant to say is that the Asus A8V Deluxe 2.0 does not support hot plugging of SATA hard drives, which means you just can't simply turn off the computer, plug it in, turn it back on and let windows xp carry on with the new hardware wizard. So I was better off re-installing windows using a floppy disk with the SATA RAID controller driver.

Thanks for the suggestions. This hard drive is working now and has replaced all four of my old IDE drives (less heat and noise!)

Hot plugging doesnt mean that. Any new hardware should install fine when the computer is turned off, installed, then turned back on. Hot plugging means when devices are removed or installed when the computer is booted and running.

Anyway its working now so not a problem!

Enjoy