PDA

View Full Version : I finally got a 360!

LurkerLito
03-05-06, 11:28 PM
Well I finally got the 360 today. I saw an ad from Circuit City and rushed over there this morning and got a premium unit a wireless controller, 2 play and charge kits, DoA4 and Fight Night 3. I am pretty impressed and had no problems so far. I have been running it now for like 9 hours straight and no problems at all with heat (but it is the winter so I'll know better in the summer).

Live marketplace is probably one of the best things about the 360. I downloaded CoD2 demo and it is very nice. I am going to download all the demos I can get over the next few days. I honestly can't help but think the core system was a big mistake on MS' part because the 360 absolutely needs the HD IMO. I really wish the dashboard was multi-tasking cause I'd love to be watching some of the videos I downloaded while waiting for the download of the next game demo to finish.

Fight Night 3 is awsome. I highly recommend it.

DoA4, well I read the other thread with people's opinions but I still ended up buying it with some hope that maybe it was a mistake. Now though, I kind of wish I didn't buy it and bought a used copy instead so as to not support Temco. It is only OK IMO, and it crashed my 360 once. But it hasn't crashed since I got the update that was on live so hopefully that was just a small bug. But the load times are really bad, it doesn't feel like it is caching to the HD and if it is it definately is slow as hell at bringing up the character pictures at the select screen. It doesn't feel too next generation to me even though the gfx are improved over the xbox doa3.

I love the wireless controllers. I know that I was a bit hesitant about a wireless controller given my experience with the craptastic ones I had tried on the PS2, but these are spot on. I didn't notice any problems with the connection, lag or any kind of unresponsiveness. I wouldn't have been able to tell it was a wireless connection. Good Job on the controller MS. I also like it a whole lot better than the old XBox one. I like the PS2 type dual shock type configuration it makes me feel right at home.

Now I need to look and see what is comming out for the 360. The only thing I know I want that is comming out for the 360 is the next splinter cell.

PeterJensen
03-06-06, 12:30 AM
Well I finally got the 360 today. I saw an ad from Circuit City and rushed over there this morning and got a premium unit a wireless controller, 2 play and charge kits, DoA4 and Fight Night 3. I am pretty impressed and had no problems so far. I have been running it now for like 9 hours straight and no problems at all with heat (but it is the winter so I'll know better in the summer).

Live marketplace is probably one of the best things about the 360. I downloaded CoD2 demo and it is very nice. I am going to download all the demos I can get over the next few days. I honestly can't help but think the core system was a big mistake on MS' part because the 360 absolutely needs the HD IMO. I really wish the dashboard was multi-tasking cause I'd love to be watching some of the videos I downloaded while waiting for the download of the next game demo to finish.

Fight Night 3 is awsome. I highly recommend it.

DoA4, well I read the other thread with people's opinions but I still ended up buying it with some hope that maybe it was a mistake. Now though, I kind of wish I didn't buy it and bought a used copy instead so as to not support Temco. It is only OK IMO, and it crashed my 360 once. But it hasn't crashed since I got the update that was on live so hopefully that was just a small bug. But the load times are really bad, it doesn't feel like it is caching to the HD and if it is it definately is slow as hell at bringing up the character pictures at the select screen. It doesn't feel too next generation to me even though the gfx are improved over the xbox doa3.

I love the wireless controllers. I know that I was a bit hesitant about a wireless controller given my experience with the craptastic ones I had tried on the PS2, but these are spot on. I didn't notice any problems with the connection, lag or any kind of unresponsiveness. I wouldn't have been able to tell it was a wireless connection. Good Job on the controller MS. I also like it a whole lot better than the old XBox one. I like the PS2 type dual shock type configuration it makes me feel right at home.

Now I need to look and see what is comming out for the 360. The only thing I know I want that is comming out for the 360 is the next splinter cell.

The new ghost recon is out very soon. I got that on preorder :)

jAkUp
03-06-06, 12:37 AM
Burnout Revenge is out this week too

Saintster
03-06-06, 01:12 AM
I've got mine preordered from gamestop.It should ship on the 17th of this month. I'm looking forward to getting it,I have a 55 Sony HDTV so it should be cool. kinda getting bored with the games or lack therof for the PC so this will give me a break from PC gaming for a couple of months!

brady
03-06-06, 07:18 AM
Burnout Revenge is out this week too

I didn't realize it was this week!!! I need to sell some games to fund some of these new ones. I think I'll be selling Kameo, PGR3, and COD2. They were all great fun but I'm finished with em and I need to make room for some of these 2nd wave games.

Sazar
03-06-06, 08:08 AM

How much did you end up dropping for the whole unit?

LurkerLito
03-06-06, 10:09 AM
How much did you end up dropping for the whole unit?

About 670 with tax. Maybe a few bucks less.

I didn't realize it was this week!!! I need to sell some games to fund some of these new ones. I think I'll be selling Kameo, PGR3, and COD2. They were all great fun but I'm finished with em and I need to make room for some of these 2nd wave games.

I got the PGR3 demo last night and I thought it was pretty good I love that the inside view has working rearview and side mirrors and the stearing wheel and car internals were there. That is something that was missing on all the console racing games I had in the past. I was thinking about getting it. I never thought about getting burnout revenge cause IIRC isn't it just a port of the Xbox version?

Acid Rain
03-06-06, 01:17 PM
I managed to score a couple myself, finally. These are some sweet little boxes. I love watching the silicon lay down parallax mapping and HDR like it's nothing at all. Sometimes the sheer number of incredible shader effects going on at once without even the slightest hiccup brings tears to my eyes (almost:p).
Referring to Kameo, here.

A LOT of what you see in that title, once you get through the disjointed intro and first level, is absolutely insane. I won't spoil it with descriptions of bosses, but let's just say most of them are mindblowing, something never even hinted at in the finest PC games. Yes, PC FTW, but damn...

Rare is back.

One thing though, it appears aniso kind of comes and goes, depending on the level. In the first level (worst level, actually) the lack of any decent amount of aniso REALLY takes some getting used to, though it's definitely not an issue, mostly. To be honest, the shader effects, HDR, parallax mapping and overall design more than makes up for it. At least AA and decent resolutions are finally available from the console world.

I could rave on and on and on, but I'll relent, and just say give it a shot. A worthy little machine if there ever was one. Well worth the pittance it costs. Can't wait for future titles.

*Afterthought: Do make sure to use a nice display, be it a PC or HD monitor. Otherwise you'll waste this fantastic machine.*

Lil Sassy
03-06-06, 01:30 PM
I managed to score a couple myself, finally. Bah. I still can't find any. Curious, why two? I am doing this as well....someday...:(

Acid Rain
03-06-06, 01:58 PM
Bah. I still can't find any. Curious, why two? I am doing this as well....someday...:(I brought my girl of 4 years with me to Maine when I moved here last September. She was just a normal, cutsie pootsy girl when I found her, but I've assimilated her into a gamer.

Gaming, both PC and console, is a very large part of what makes us happy (though, till the 360, I wasn't at all a console gamer).

It's about twice as much fun having a fantastic woman game with you. I feel very sorry for those going without.

Yes, she does her girly stuff too, but at the end of the day, it's all about games and purty graphics.

Oh, and we won't do split screen, period. So, yes, two were required.

fasedww
03-06-06, 07:34 PM
I managed to score a couple myself, finally. These are some sweet little boxes. I love watching the silicon lay down parallax mapping and HDR like it's nothing at all. Sometimes the sheer number of incredible shader effects going on at once without even the slightest hiccup brings tears to my eyes (almost:p).
Referring to Kameo, here.

A LOT of what you see in that title, once you get through the disjointed intro and first level, is absolutely insane. I won't spoil it with descriptions of bosses, but let's just say most of them are mindblowing, something never even hinted at in the finest PC games. Yes, PC FTW, but damn...

Rare is back.

One thing though, it appears aniso kind of comes and goes, depending on the level. In the first level (worst level, actually) the lack of any decent amount of aniso REALLY takes some getting used to, though it's definitely not an issue, mostly. To be honest, the shader effects, HDR, parallax mapping and overall design more than makes up for it. At least AA and decent resolutions are finally available from the console world.

I could rave on and on and on, but I'll relent, and just say give it a shot. A worthy little machine if there ever was one. Well worth the pittance it costs. Can't wait for future titles.

*Afterthought: Do make sure to use a nice display, be it a PC or HD monitor. Otherwise you'll waste this fantastic machine.*I have a dell 2405fpw, How would I hook it up to it?, What about the sound then?, I've got Klipsch 5.1's on my computer, suppose I would have to get another speaker setup for the Xbox360 right?:)

GamerGuyX
03-06-06, 07:53 PM
I have a dell 2405fpw, How would I hook it up to it?, What about the sound then?, I've got Klipsch 5.1's on my computer, suppose I would have to get another speaker setup for the Xbox360 right?:)

Obviously, you can use the 2405fpw's component inputs. Or you could buy the official VGA cable and use the 2405fpw's VGA input. For sound, you can use the Klipsch 5.1's digital-optical input or RCA analog input. If your speakers don't have either you can use a 1/8" minijack cable.

Acid Rain
03-06-06, 07:55 PM
I have a dell 2405fpw, How would I hook it up to it?, What about the sound then?, I've got Klipsch 5.1's on my computer, suppose I would have to get another speaker setup for the Xbox360 right?Buy one of these (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/). Plug it straight into your Dell. I found mine at Gamestop. Keep the speakers if you like. There are plenty of easily attainable adapters at radioshack, if need be, and the VGA cable has an optical digital output built into the base. At the end of the cable are standard left and right analog audio connectors for if you want to just go get a high end 2.1 setup.

With the Dell, certainly play with it a bit to get the best image possible. People were claiming (and posting pictures with proof) that the output of the vga cable looked washed out on PC monitors, but I am sure they just don't play with the controls. I set the red, green, and blue to 50% each, put the contrast at 50% and brightness at 25%. With the lighting I use in that room, those settings are perfection, easily destroying the XBR in the living room in terms of vibrance and clarity.

fasedww
03-06-06, 08:31 PM
Buy one of these (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/). Plug it straight into your Dell. I found mine at Gamestop. Keep the speakers if you like. There are plenty of easily attainable adapters at radioshack, if need be, and the VGA cable has an optical digital output built into the base. At the end of the cable are standard left and right analog audio connectors for if you want to just go get a high end 2.1 setup.

With the Dell, certainly play with it a bit to get the best image possible. People were claiming (and posting pictures with proof) that the output of the vga cable looked washed out on PC monitors, but I am sure they just don't play with the controls. I set the red, green, and blue to 50% each, put the contrast at 50% and brightness at 25%. With the lighting I use in that room, those settings are perfection, easily destroying the XBR in the living room in terms of vibrance and clarity.Yeah that cable is cool, All I would need to do then is connect the left and right audio jacks to my front panel fatality's L aux in and right aux in. I would then have to have my PC running, All I would have to do is switch from DVI (computer), to VGA (Xbox360) on the dell 2405fpw right?:)

Lil Sassy
03-07-06, 09:15 AM
I would then have to have my PC running, All I would have to do is switch from DVI (computer), to VGA (Xbox360) on the dell 2405fpw right?:)Yes, that's a fine way to do it. You won't get the 5.1, but it'll sound great regardless.

PeterJensen
03-07-06, 09:37 AM
Anny one here got GRAW yet?

brady
03-07-06, 10:16 AM
Not me. Yesterday the EBgames guy told me they would have it today and I could pick it up. When I called today they said they would have it tomorrow and I could pick it up then. :thumbdwn: I havn't tried gamestop yet. I know they are the same thing but sometimes the two stores get things at different times.

LurkerLito
03-08-06, 04:39 PM
Question regarding the wireless controller...I have 2 of them one is always assigned as #1 but if I don't have it charging or connected via the wire, if I turn off the console the controller still has a dim green light on. The other controller is not like that. Does this happen to your 360 wireless controller that is assigned as controller #1? I end up just removing the battery after power off to turn the light off.

evilchris
03-08-06, 04:42 PM
Anny one here got GRAW yet?

I finally freaking found one. Will play tonight.