PDA

View Full Version : Will Page File work on USB Flash Drive?

WimpMiester
03-06-06, 02:21 AM
Has anyone tried placing the Windows Pagefile on say a 2G USB Flash Drive? If it works I think the performance would be really good.

Son Goku
03-06-06, 02:32 AM
I had in fact tried it, when I got my 100 GB external drive. I thought to split the page file (winXP, as previous versions of NT allowed one to split it between drives). However, upon reboot, the system never created the pagefile.sys file on the USB drive, and so my pageing file was only the size I had set it for the system drive...

Because the BIOS has a boot USB option, if one installed the OS on the USB drive, and boot it that way, I'm sure it would allow it. But installed on my SCSI drive, and then splitting the pageing file between that, and the USB 2.0 drive, was a no go...

It was a nice try though...

john19055
03-06-06, 08:54 AM
I have always had mine work better by setting the page file up on the drive I had my OS installed on.

Hordsak
03-06-06, 10:25 AM
No offence, but the perfomance on a UBS drive would be horrendous. The fastest USB sticks can only write at about 15 megs a second. I would hate to see what a swapfile on it would so <shudder>

WimpMiester
03-06-06, 02:21 PM
No offence, but the perfomance on a UBS drive would be horrendous. The fastest USB sticks can only write at about 15 megs a second. I would hate to see what a swapfile on it would so <shudder>

I don't know my PNY 256MB Flash drive reads and writes files pretty fast. What I was thinking would cause a problem is if windows didn't like the page file being on the USB because it my want to use it during boot before USB drivers are loaded.

Rakeesh
03-06-06, 02:53 PM
Has anyone tried placing the Windows Pagefile on say a 2G USB Flash Drive? If it works I think the performance would be really good.

Don't do it, you'll ruin the flash drive.

Due to the way the chemical structure is, flash memory cells can only take so many writes within their lifetime. For most modern flash memory, this is around 2 million writes. That is quite a large number, and with even lots of copying of files onto the flash drive and often overwriting old data, it should last you quite a long time. However, paging data makes writes far more frequently than even heavy file transfer usage. With a page file, you would probably use up more than two million writes on any given cell within a month or two, and that is even assuming very light pagefile usage.

j0j081
03-07-06, 12:19 AM
I have always had mine work better by setting the page file up on the drive I had my OS installed on.
if you have 2 hdds it works best on the one the OS isn't installed on, but the speed increase probably isn't even noticable by most standards.