PDA

View Full Version : Ignore Prime 95? In my case?

bugmage
03-06-06, 02:40 AM
Well my system runs stable at 240 fsb, been running it at 242 fsb, alright 20 min prime 95 stable, and 244, wham instant rounding error, now ive lowered everything, chipset, HT, and uped all my volts and lossened ram set dividers the works with no resutls. SO at this point, because I use my machines for maybe at most 2 hrs of gameing at a time, and leave it on all day long, should i just ignore prime95? because as long as I can game im fine, I never really use 100% of my cpu, as I understand it prime 95 is a stress thing so if my computers sitting on at home with no one on it, its not under stress so its super unlikely to crash where as it crashed when im gameing, im there to turn it off/on

prime 95 is more of a, balls to the wall choaking on cpu threads can your comp handle it sort of thing?

also does freezing dammage anything? besides software, and will bios overheating controls work on a computer with a frozen windows os???

I want to crank the cpu up to 2.5, run it at 1.45 up my mem to ..65v and set maybe a 133 divider with 3x ht, but who know prime95 hates anything over 242 :(

this is a home personal computer/work/school
not some crazy file server

also as it is everything instant on my computer, only limited by the hard drives seek/loading, as far as my geoshell it comes up instant so its not like im going to use the OC in normal everyday things, music work, aim, explorer, just for games and pushing up my 3dmark05.

Riptide
03-06-06, 03:11 AM
If your system does what you need it to do then who cares.

That said it would be untrue to portray a computer as truly 100% stable if it can't pass Prime.

PaiN
03-06-06, 06:44 AM
You shouldn't "ignore Prime".....if Prime95 will not run stable, then your system is not stable. It may be fine with whatever game(s) you played for two hours but sooner or later, some application or game is going to show you the instability. So, ignore at your own risk.
And to add insult....you have an X2 so to know if it is "true" stable at an OC'd speed, you'll need to run Prime on both cores.....(don't hate me ;) )
how to:
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16446

saturnotaku
03-06-06, 06:51 AM
Stuff like this makes me glad I've given up overclocking all together, except for company-sanctioned utilities eg. ATI's Overdrive.

rflair
03-06-06, 07:51 AM

That said it would be untrue to portray a computer as truly 100% stable if it can't pass Prime.

So true, if it isn't Prime95 stable it isn't stable.

rflair
03-06-06, 08:16 AM
Well my system runs stable at 240 fsb, been running it at 242 fsb, alright 20 min prime 95 stable, and 244, wham instant rounding error, now ive lowered everything, chipset, HT, and uped all my volts and lossened ram set dividers the works with no resutls. SO at this point, because I use my machines for maybe at most 2 hrs of gameing at a time, and leave it on all day long, should i just ignore prime95? because as long as I can game im fine, I never really use 100% of my cpu, as I understand it prime 95 is a stress thing so if my computers sitting on at home with no one on it, its not under stress so its super unlikely to crash where as it crashed when im gameing, im there to turn it off/on

prime 95 is more of a, balls to the wall choaking on cpu threads can your comp handle it sort of thing?

also does freezing dammage anything? besides software, and will bios overheating controls work on a computer with a frozen windows os???

I want to crank the cpu up to 2.5, run it at 1.45 up my mem to ..65v and set maybe a 133 divider with 3x ht, but who know prime95 hates anything over 242 :(

this is a home personal computer/work/school
not some crazy file server

also as it is everything instant on my computer, only limited by the hard drives seek/loading, as far as my geoshell it comes up instant so its not like im going to use the OC in normal everyday things, music work, aim, explorer, just for games and pushing up my 3dmark05.

You would rather run a computer with a difference of 2MHz on the the FSB instable then at 240MHz where it is stable? Doesn't make sence.

Like someone else said on a dual core CPU you have to run an instance of Prime95 on each, at the same time.

Even at 240 fsb how long have you let Prime95 run? For me its 12+ hours (usually 24+) to make sure its all good.

What he said.

Riptide
03-06-06, 09:33 AM
Stuff like this makes me glad I've given up overclocking all together, except for company-sanctioned utilities eg. ATI's Overdrive.

To be successful you need good luck. Something I don't have.

Son Goku
03-06-06, 10:07 AM
It's been said, and said again, but Prime 95 is 1 test, and 1 test that if it fails, forget it...

But you're honestly complaining because your system is stable at 240 MHz HTT? :rofl Dude, that's a good OC... There's no need to quible about an extra 2 MHz... From 240 to 242 MHz, it isn't going to make that much of a difference (whistles)

20 mins is also not a long time to have run Prime 95 to make sure, and even a successful Prime 95 can leave one with a comp that doesn't boot (happened to me, though 2 MHz lower it booted). Just run Prime 95 for a time (not just 20 mins) at 240 and see if all goes well. Then try posting it, and if all holds up, count yourself lucky... 240 MHz on the HTT is a better OC, then a hell of a lot of people see ;)

CaptNKILL
03-06-06, 10:16 AM
With my new cooler I ran Prime95 (with the overclock in my sig) for 4 hours and it never got over 46C and it never got an error. I just ended up quitting out of it since I had some things to do. Maybe some day I'll worry about it enough to run it for 24 hours, but for right now thats plenty stable enough for me.

bugmage
03-06-06, 10:56 AM
lol the 2hz thing was to see if running at that speed where prime 95 failes would cause a freezeup after running the comp for like a week not just to get the extra speed (pirate)

rflair
03-06-06, 11:58 AM
lol the 2hz thing was to see if running at that speed where prime 95 failes would cause a freezeup after running the comp for like a week not just to get the extra speed (pirate)

catch22 :)

Acid Rain
03-06-06, 01:59 PM

That said it would be untrue to portray a computer as truly 100% stable if it can't pass Prime.I personally insist on prime stability. Full Prime stability. I do a max heat/power consumption test and a custom run forcing it to test every last ounce of ram and it's interface with the CPU. 8 hours a piece. If it fails at any point, the system is not stable and needs attention. That's the way I see it.

Often, even if a system appears to be stable but fails Prime, you'll run into odd errors here and there. They may be rare, but they can occur under various circumstances, and you'll never have any clue why. Is it drivers? A fluke? Buggy coding? Bad burn caused by a failing DVD RW drive? Aging hard drive? The list goes on and on.

Or, just believe Prime and make it stable. All the way stable.

bugmage
03-06-06, 04:01 PM
do you guys know any software like ntune that will let you make icons you can click to change your clocks, ntune wont work with x2s so if i can get a program that will up the fsb to 250 quick for gameing and back down to 240 i would be set, games might crash now and then but i wouldnet lose anything besides a save point

mullet
03-06-06, 05:49 PM
You shouldn't "ignore Prime".....if Prime95 will not run stable, then your system is not stable. It may be fine with whatever game(s) you played for two hours but sooner or later, some application or game is going to show you the instability. So, ignore at your own risk.
And to add insult....you have an X2 so to know if it is "true" stable at an OC'd speed, you'll need to run Prime on both cores.....(don't hate me ;) )
how to:
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16446

Perfect statement, :thumbsup:

rflair
03-06-06, 06:02 PM
do you guys know any software like ntune that will let you make icons you can click to change your clocks, ntune wont work with x2s so if i can get a program that will up the fsb to 250 quick for gameing and back down to 240 i would be set, games might crash now and then but i wouldnet lose anything besides a save point

Actually thats where your wrong, you say at 242fsb prime95 fails instantly, now you want to use software to take it 250fsb onces windows is loaded, once you push an overclock to far windows has a greater chance of currupting itself, any files being read and written (games, page file, virtual memory) have a greater chance of becoming currupted. While you won't damage the hardware reinstalling windows and/or certain programs (games) won't be any fun.

I mean you got 2.4ghz out of the chip, whats wrong with that? Wouldn't you rather have a computer thats stable all the way around? Sorry if I sound like an ahole but your logic while entertaining is foolish.

j0j081
03-07-06, 12:17 AM
Sorry if I sound like an ahole but your logic while entertaining is foolish.
this thread = 0wn3d (nana2)

smallSHEEP
03-07-06, 08:22 AM
I generally run RTHDRIBL along with two instances of Prime for my X2.