PDA

View Full Version : New HDD doubts.

muaddib
03-06-06, 03:24 PM
Hello.

As the title says, I have decided to take the plunge and order a new HDD, solely for backups. I am certainly going for Hitachi's Deskstars, if we're considering internal ones. My only doubts are what size and array I should purchase -

1) 1xHitachi T7K250 - 250GB, 8mbC, 7200RPM, SATAII 3GB/s. With it's relatively low price, it would a lot more easier to purchase another one in the (FAR...) future and RAID it.
2) 1xHitachi 7K500. Hitachi's flagship. Better design, much better speeds, 500GB. It also features 16mbC, 7200RPM, SATAII 3GB/s and NCQ. It costs an arm and leg though, and I won't be adding another one anytime foreseeable. However, I will get better speeds and more capacity.

3) OR - Buy an external HDD. These look ideal for backups. They're really cool tempapture wise. The WD 400GB one looks very affordable IMO. Remember, reliability is number 1, 2, and 3 concern.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers (nana2)

PaiN
03-06-06, 03:39 PM
RAID them :) I wish, I had done it when I spec'd this system...

muaddib
03-06-06, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the reply.
There are near infinite possibilities when regarding this issue, I really don't know what to do. Quick question though - can you RAID external HDD's?
Thanks in advance.

ynnek
03-06-06, 07:04 PM
what exactly are you backing up?

For my own pictures and video's and stuff that I make myself, I just back up on burned DVD's and such. I don't have much so its easy.

Ultimately, I love to have one of those external raid drive array's that sitts the network.. It would store all my media and personal info I would want to backup.
Actually, i would probably section like 250/250 gig drives mirrored for data reliability... and then just a big 250 or 500 giger for other forms of disposable media (tv shows, etc)

I'm waiting to wire my house up with gigabit ethernet before I do that though.

Actually my current Northy 3.2C with 1.5 gigs of ram may turn into that kind of network raid file server when it gets replaced with a faster computer.

Starscream
03-06-06, 08:21 PM
If you go with an external usb drive, don't just buy one prebuilt.

Buy a good drive with a good warranty and then buy a usb 2 box to put it in.

The vast majority of drives that come in those boxes are slow and have short 1 year warranties.

Prime
03-06-06, 09:10 PM
Western Digital just released a 1TB external dual drive setup that can be configured for Raid 0 or Raid 1. That would give you 500GB mirrored. It's pretty expensive, though.

Son Goku
03-06-06, 09:46 PM
One piece of advise, though most people caught on it... Do not use RAID 0 for backup purposes... Use either RAID 1 (mirroring) or RAID 5... In the case of RAID 0 (stripe set), if one of those drives go, say bye, bye, to the data on both of em drives :eek: Without them both, you lost your volume...

External might be ideal if you find a good external drive... Actually, much of my comps data is sitting on an external drive, albeit I'm not storing it there for backup so much as to free space off the smaller internal drives ;)

My recommendation would be to look at some reviews (if they have them), and try to find a company/product that has come up with better reliability. If a given drive has given people better experience and you can still buy it, get that. If you have a situation, such as that one drive which used glass platters (forgot the name off the top of my head); with many people talking drive failures after a time, stear as far away as you can from that...

Once finding some of the most reliable drives, which have tended to give people the fewest support problems (aka one could go to the given companies support forums and see what users are saying, asking for help with, or reporting problems on) in addition to reviews; get a couple of them and mirror em... If one goes bad however, you're going to need to be prepared to replace it ASAP, so you won't be down to 1 backup drive for very long... As long as you get good drives, the probability of both failing at the same time, and before you can replace one of them will be low...

muaddib
03-07-06, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the informative reply.

So, your advice to me is to find the most reliable internal drive w/ the best support, buy two and mirror them?
In your opinion, what drive/company it is?
And what forums I should lurk in to find out some more info?

Thanks in advance.