PDA

View Full Version : ForceWare Bug w/ Remote Desktop

Moolicious
03-06-06, 08:03 PM
Hi,

I've noticed an issue with Remote Desktop (Terminal Services) and all ForceWare drivers dating back to last June when I first purchased my 7800 GTX. Once I connect to my PC (specs in sig) via Remote Desktop and then resume the session locally, my 7800 refuses to raise the core clocks from the 2D settings when running any 3D application such as a game. This occurs about 90% of the time after I've made a remote desktop connection.

I first noticed this many months ago after coming home from work and experiencing dismal framerates in several games. It took a while to figure out what was causing this but I finally realized that it only happened after I had connected to my PC at home from work via Remote Desktop. A reboot will always fix it, but I have tried many things such as using the Reset Driver feature in RivaTuner and manually resetting the clocks in the control panel, but nothing other than a reboot has fixed it.

You can see examples of this in the screenshots below. The first shot shows RTHDRIBL and the core speeds after I've come back to the PC once a remote desktop session had been established. The second shot shows the normal behavior once I've rebooted.

Clocks Stuck at 2D Settings (http://blep.net/LowClocks.jpg)
Normal Behavior (http://blep.net/NormalClocks.jpg)

A couple points:

This has occured with every version of ForceWare since last June with the first 7800GTX drivers through 84.12 which I am running now.
I've tried changing the settings on the remote desktop client such as resolution, color depth, and the mapping of remote resources with no effect.
I only have this issue after a remote desktop session has been opened, closed, and then I come back to my physical desktop.
Other than this annoyance my system is rock stable.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could report this to NVIDIA. I suspect it has something to do with the way the NVIDIA display driver becomes disabled when a remote desktop session takes over and it is then not reinitialized completely with the local session is resumed.

Thanks!