PDA

View Full Version : Question about ram upgrade?

Cptobvious
03-06-06, 11:11 PM
I wan't to know if it is worth upgrading from 1gb of RAM to 1.5, possibly 2 but im really thinking more 1.5. How much of a difference will that make for my 55 bucks or so Canadian for games like Oblivion that are coming out. Other then that I have P4 2.8Ghz, Geforce 6800 Ultra and my current 1gb of ram. Will I get much improvement in FPS/Stuttering in a game like this for half a gig more, and be able to run it on any higher graphics with less drop in framerate?

betterdan
03-06-06, 11:20 PM
I just put in 2gb tonight. I upgraded from 1gb and I can tell a big difference in Battlefield 2 . I am running Prime 95 right now and it's been running for almost an hour so far and i can still use the computer easily while it is running. If I tried to run Prime 95 before with my 1gb it would be extremely hard to do so as Prime 95 would hog all my ram. I haven't tried anything else so far but I like it and think it is a worthwhile upgrade.

einstein_314
03-06-06, 11:41 PM
I just put in 2gb tonight. I upgraded from 1gb and I can tell a big difference in Battlefield 2 . I am running Prime 95 right now and it's been running for almost an hour so far and i can still use the computer easily while it is running. If I tried to run Prime 95 before with my 1gb it would be extremely hard to do so as Prime 95 would hog all my ram. I haven't tried anything else so far but I like it and think it is a worthwhile upgrade.
Lol, yeah, 2Gb and BF2 = me happy :) I think that 1GB getting to the point where it is almost not enough. So 1.5-2GB is probably a good range. I'd go for 2GB but that's me. Do you have 2x512 sticks now?

Cptobvious
03-07-06, 01:20 AM
Yeah at the moment im running 2x512, standard ram, pc3200, timings are 3.

betterdan
03-07-06, 05:01 PM
I just wanted to give an update. I tried Fear and COD2 this morning and there is no question at all that they benefited greatly from the 2gb as opposed to the 1gb. Fear use to hitch a lot (going to the harddrive) and I had to turn the graphics textures to medium and the vol lighting also. Now everything is set to max (except AA is set to 2 and AF is set to 4) and it runs perfect.

hordaktheman
03-07-06, 06:40 PM
The difference between 1-1.5 gig is far greater than a further 1.5-2 gig jump. Seeing as DDR is on the way out, I'd just go for 1.5 gigs and save a 2gig system for a future DDR2 platform. It might be worth getting 2 gigs if you intend to hold on to your current system for more than a year, but otherwise I wouldn't.

Cptobvious
03-07-06, 07:36 PM
Is there a big bennifit though from getting 2x512 and getting that second dual channel setup. Really tough decision this is mainly for Oblivion more then games like bf2, and I just can't tell whether 1.5gb will be enough ram to get all the benefits of lots of ram or you will need 2gb for that. I hear stories of people always saying some 1.5gb is great and some 2gb to go for.

Cptobvious
03-07-06, 08:38 PM
If you read this article http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/2gb-ram.html

They state 1gb is better then 512x4. However they state that is because of 2T on the AMD systems, I have a Intel system and Mobo so is this performance drop gonna happen with me, or will any upgrade in ram on my system be better.