PDA

View Full Version : Monstercable DVI Cable Questions?

Digital_Trans
03-07-06, 03:32 AM
Hey gang! I'm going to buy a Monstercable DVI400-Digital Video Cable HDTV/DVI to run to my 24.3" Dell Ultrasharp Model: 2405FPW LCD Monitor.
I noticed online that there's two different m's followed by a number which are 2m and 4m which is better out of the two? 2m or 4m? Picture attachments available below..... :)
If you don't know, please don't reply.......

Brimstone7
03-07-06, 04:35 AM
Just a guess but I'd say that "2m" means 2 meters and "4m" means 4 meters. In any event, the general concencus around here is that monster cables are horribly overpriced and, quite frankly, don't improve quality at all.

Digital_Trans
03-07-06, 04:37 AM
Just a guess but I'd say that "2m" means 2 meters and "4m" means 4 meters. In any event, the general concencus around here is that monster cables are horribly overpriced and, quite frankly, don't improve quality at all.

Yes, but, I'm getting a really cheap price on the product. Anyway,
If this is meter related then I'm sure the 2m would work just as good as the 4m. At least I think so......

einstein_314
03-07-06, 06:48 PM
Yes, but, I'm getting a really cheap price on the product. Anyway,
If this is meter related then I'm sure the 2m would work just as good as the 4m. At least I think so......
Well, if you don't need it to be 4m long, then just get the 2m one. I'm sure the 4m one is twice as much $ as the 2m one. Other than the length, they are identical.

nV`andrew
03-07-06, 07:00 PM
we have the monster cables for out hdtv and they are great and were recommended as the best for us

hordaktheman
03-07-06, 07:24 PM
I can't really see how a cable can be referred to in terms of "quality" when the signal is digital. It either works or it doesn't, and signal loss won't really happen unless the cable is complete trash.

Digital_Trans
03-08-06, 01:51 AM
Will this even work for my BFG 7800 GTX 512MB DVI? The Monstercable says
that it's a DVI-D single link cable. Picture attachment below. It also goes on to say that it can provide.....

***More accurate color rendition

***Excellent rejection of RFI and EMI signals

***Optimum high bandwidth DVI bitstream transfer

***Supports 720p and 1080i HDTV standards

***24k Gold contacts

***Oversized power screws

***Duraflex protective jacket

***Gas-Injected cellular dielectric

***High density triple layer shielding

***Monster DVI high bandwidth design

***Multi-stranded copper center conductor

***2 Meter lenght (~6.56 feet)

Rakeesh
03-08-06, 01:55 AM
A DVI cable is a DVI cable is a DVI cable. They are all the same, with the exception of different ones being different types (digital, analog, or both) and physical lengths of course. Don't buy monster DVI cables, they are overpriced and they won't give you any kind of a benefit. And even analog monster cables are overrated. Acoustic Research makes better cables and they cost less.

jAkUp
03-08-06, 01:58 AM
If he is getting a good deal on it, I say go for it.

DVI-D is Digital only.

The DVI-D male connector will connect/transmit with a DVI-I female. The DVI-D female connector will not connect/transmit with the DVI-I male. Contact us if you have further questions about these connectors.

Digital_Trans
03-08-06, 02:02 AM

DVI-D is Digital only.

So will it plug into my card? ;)

Digital_Trans
03-08-06, 02:09 AM

DVI-D is Digital only.

$20.00 online deal! :) ***Brand New**** (pirate)

jAkUp
03-08-06, 02:23 AM
I think the videocard is DVI-I... but I think it can work.

I'm not too good with these male->female cable translations, just ask my GF.. haha :D

I'll tell you tomorrow, its too late..lol

Rakeesh
03-08-06, 04:51 AM
Yep, video cards use DVI-I outputs. The reason why is because those carry both digital and analog signals (DVI-D and DVI-A respectively) in case you want to use a DVI to VGA adapter. DVI-A is basically VGA with a different pin arrangement.

Oh, and BTW, in the context of DVI-D cables, these features mean absolutely nothing:

***More accurate color rendition

***Excellent rejection of RFI and EMI signals

***Optimum high bandwidth DVI bitstream transfer

***Supports 720p and 1080i HDTV standards

***Duraflex protective jacket

***Gas-Injected cellular dielectric

***High density triple layer shielding

***Monster DVI high bandwidth design

***Multi-stranded copper center conductor

In fact most of those are pretty obvious. Yeah, DVI-D gives more accurate colors than VGA, and besides the fact that RFI and EMI are practically the same thing, you don't really need to worry about it that much provided you use even the most basic shielding in a DVI cable. Also, all single link DVI cables should go up to 1080p, and "monster DVI high bandwidth design" means absolutely nothing at all, because you either follow the DVI spec or you don't. There is no varying bandwidth in any DVI cables, nor any "super duper monster bandwidth spec," they just threw it there to make the customer go "oooh monster cable."

The only thing that matters is this:

***2 Meter lenght (~6.56 feet)

If you want a 2 meter cable as opposed to a 1 meter or 3 meter one, and this:

***24k Gold contacts

If you like to stare at the contacts because you love the color, because gold contacts aren't going to change anything for DVI, and then this:

***Oversized power screws

If you really like oversized power screws. Course, my cable was made from dell and it has the same thing.

|JuiceZ|
03-08-06, 10:05 AM
Agree 100% with AlphaWolf_HK, its not worth it unless you find one for cheap.

Digital_Trans
03-08-06, 12:14 PM
Yep, video cards use DVI-I outputs. The reason why is because those carry both digital and analog signals (DVI-D and DVI-A respectively) in case you want to use a DVI to VGA adapter. DVI-A is basically VGA with a different pin arrangement.

Oh, and BTW, in the context of DVI-D cables, these features mean absolutely nothing:

In fact most of those are pretty obvious. Yeah, DVI-D gives more accurate colors than VGA, and besides the fact that RFI and EMI are practically the same thing, you don't really need to worry about it that much provided you use even the most basic shielding in a DVI cable. Also, all single link DVI cables should go up to 1080p, and "monster DVI high bandwidth design" means absolutely nothing at all, because you either follow the DVI spec or you don't. There is no varying bandwidth in any DVI cables, nor any "super duper monster bandwidth spec," they just threw it there to make the customer go "oooh monster cable."

The only thing that matters is this:

If you want a 2 meter cable as opposed to a 1 meter or 3 meter one, and this:

If you like to stare at the contacts because you love the color, because gold contacts aren't going to change anything for DVI, and then this:

If you really like oversized power screws. Course, my cable was made from dell and it has the same thing.

Okay, great so this Monstercable should work on my BFG 7800 GTX DVI
connection. Unless you say otherwise.... :o

Digital_Trans
03-19-06, 03:00 AM
Since my last post on this topic, I ordered and used the Mostercable 400-DVI
Much to my surpise the cable quality was really good. With the Monstercable
400=DVI I could see that my games and DVD movies looked sharper and more colorful. The end result was that I ended up selling the Monstercable DVI-I
to a buddy only so I could upgrade to the Monstercable DVI-D 500.
Talk about a better quality, this thing rocks!