PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you strip out the holes in your case?

Digital_Trans
03-07-06, 02:48 AM
Yes, I recently stripped out a few holes in my computer case where my
SLI video cards screw into. The cards are in their assigned X16 PCI-Express slots good but, I still would prefer to have them screwed into placed instead of just having each card stuck in it's assigned X16 PCI-Express slot. Any suggestions???? :o

rflair
03-07-06, 08:00 AM
You could try a few things.

You could try and find a nut that fits the bolt (screw), on most cases the bolt petrudes about 2mm, so an accompanying nut would fit. This would be very clean looking. You could even epoxy the nut in place after for easy removale/replacement after.

If you have similar screws with the same tread pattern but slightly thicker shaft you could make them work, with a bit of arm power. This can be very clean looking, just remember the bolt used here should only be used here.

You could also use a self tapping screw, looks very similar to a wood screw but its made of high density metal so it can be driven into sheetmetal. Home Depot should have them. Again you want a scrwe with the shaft just slightly wider then the hole. Thing about self tapping screws is repeated screwing and unscrewing will deform and weaken the screw hole over time.

You could retap a new thread, machine screws are screws made of high density metal and have the same tread patterns as electronic screws, using a machine screw to retap the hole and then replacing it with an electronics screw of the same thread would work.

Digital_Trans
03-08-06, 12:44 AM
You could try a few things.

You could try and find a nut that fits the bolt (screw), on most cases the bolt petrudes about 2mm, so an accompanying nut would fit. This would be very clean looking. You could even epoxy the nut in place after for easy removale/replacement after.

If you have similar screws with the same tread pattern but slightly thicker shaft you could make them work, with a bit of arm power. This can be very clean looking, just remember the bolt used here should only be used here.

You could also use a self tapping screw, looks very similar to a wood screw but its made of high density metal so it can be driven into sheetmetal. Home Depot should have them. Again you want a scrwe with the shaft just slightly wider then the hole. Thing about self tapping screws is repeated screwing and unscrewing will deform and weaken the screw hole over time.

You could retap a new thread, machine screws are screws made of high density metal and have the same tread patterns as electronic screws, using a machine screw to retap the hole and then replacing it with an electronics screw of the same thread would work.

Thank you for your insight on the topic! ;)