PDA

View Full Version : Ridge Racer 6

msxyz
03-07-06, 12:51 PM
Got a few spare Euros and free time, thus I finally bought this one.

And I like it. The action is all arcade oriented as in the RR tradition. No compromises: I think that, in the end, it's a much better experience than the one offered by PGR's "neither fish nor meat" approach. The races are fun both offline and online. The AI is quite smart, avoids unencessary collisions and the difficulty curve is well calibrated (some people may say that the early stages are too slow and easy but it's made on purpose).

The graphics are clean and they're clearly not aimed at photorealism, rather they possess a distinctive and pleasant "soft CGI" look. The controls are responsive and the analog stick is perfectly adeguate for the task.

A really good game that has been overshadowed by PGR3 and NFS but that is more enjoyable and fun than its competitors

brady
03-07-06, 01:12 PM
I didn't like PGR3 at all. NFS was great. Maybe I'll rent this one sometime.

Acid Rain
03-07-06, 01:48 PM
I didn't like PGR3 at all. Why not? It looks and sounds bad ass in the hi-res videos I've seen. PGR 3 was my next purchase. Tell me why it sucks, and why I'm stupid for even considering it. :D

brady
03-07-06, 02:02 PM
PGR 3 was my next purchase. Tell me why it sucks, and why I'm stupid for even considering it. :D

I don't think it sucks or that anyone is stupid for considering it. I just didn't like it. I think it does what it's suppose to very well. I just don't like the super realistic racers. I didn't know that till PGR3, and now I do.

msxyz
03-07-06, 05:09 PM
Ther are many reasons not to buy PGR3

Its gameplay sucks. It's a "neither arcade nor simulation" type.

Offline career is a looong and boring sequence of easy races and stupid tests like passing through cones, achieving a certain speed, etc... (some of these tests are shorter than the time the console takes to load the track. I'm not kidding!)

Online mode is even worse with the cars spinning out of control even at the smallest impact. If a noob smashing his car into yours may ruin your race, imagine a server full of 10 years old wankers doing that on purpose. That's how PGR3 servers are atm.

Acid Rain
03-07-06, 11:30 PM
^^^ Did you like the first PGR games? I sure did.

msxyz
03-08-06, 02:18 AM
No I didn't. This was a first for me and I don't think I have any pre-concepts.

I was lured into buying because I've heard so many good impressions about the past titles and because of the impressive graphics (err.. I admit I've a soft spot for nice graphics)

While I understand that other people may have different opinions about what is enjoyable and what not ( so maybe some people like driving 10 seconds to reach 100 mph in front of a camera and wait 30sec for the console to load), the criticism about the online situation is widespread and in almost all the forums I follow I've seen at least a beefy thread on the topic.

Acid Rain
03-08-06, 03:21 AM
So maybe some people like driving 10 seconds to reach 100 mph in front of a camera and wait 30sec for the console to load)Hmmm, that doesn't sound like fun at all.

msxyz
03-08-06, 08:05 AM
If you know someone who has the game, borrow it from him/her and try by yourself, so you can have a better picture.

There's no real substitute for first-hand experience. :)

S.I.N
03-08-06, 10:36 AM
msxyz is making PGR seem terrible and exaggeratiing. Its a easy game to play but a hard game to master when you try to go for gold medals. My brother has both and I think PGR is way better. Hell the car dash mode is worth it alone. RR6 is kind of boring and you have to win a bunch of races before getting good cars. Go with PGR. I dont think you will regret it and I think they have a demo for it.

PeterJensen
03-08-06, 10:42 AM
PGR is WAY! better then Ridge Racer 6. Im having allot of fun with MP in PGR3.

Acid Rain
03-08-06, 02:38 PM
If you know someone who has the game, borrow it from him/her and try by yourself, so you can have a better picture.

There's no real substitute for first-hand experience. :)Unfortunately I don't borrow. Ever. I buy. I don't want friends to think they can borrow from me, so I let it be known that I neither loan nor borrow. The reason: While I always take excellent care of everything, whether it's mine or not, I know of NO-ONE else that will care for my stuff if they use it. Learned the hard way, too many times. Even the best of friends will abominate my property when it's in their hands.

It never ceases to amaze me what you guys do to your disks and equipment. And people wonder why they have skipping movies and disk read errors. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I'm artificially inflating my concern. Of course I'll buy it. It's not like these games are that costly.