PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 ...errr... version 1.2 ?

msxyz
03-08-06, 02:35 AM
The past week I received my replacement unit (a brand new console and power supply, not some refurbished crap) and I was curious to verify if all the talks about an improved model being manufactured since january.

The first thing I noticed is that my new unit has a much more silent disc drive. The cooling fans also spin faster when the console is in the dashboard

I don't have the nerve to pick up a screw driver and verify if the internals of the console have changed since Anandtech "Xbox360 dissection" article appeared.

But I'm pretty sure something changed. Anyone can confirm my impressions ?

Acid Rain
03-08-06, 03:16 AM
But I'm pretty sure something changed. Anyone can confirm my impressions ?
Yes. You scored one with the new samsung drive. The Hitachi was very loud and apparently was causing some of the red light errors.

I have the Hitachis. :( Well, maybe they'll break and MS will give me new ones. :)

BioHazZarD
03-08-06, 04:18 AM
I first bought a 360 that had a manufacter date of 2005-10-29 that died 3 weeks later on and recieved a new one with date of 2006-01-03 or something like that and both are equal to noise and such i didnt noticed anything different.

ENU291
03-08-06, 07:29 AM
My 360 replacement is a little louder in dashboard mode and the DVD-ROM does not whine like a banshee when playing games. I guess my 360 is similar to msxyz's model.

msxyz
03-08-06, 08:14 AM
My first Xbox was manufactured on the first week of October '05, the replacement in mid january. So it's safe to assume that, after a certain point, Microsoft tweaked the design or replaced some components with others.

There are also some disturbing reports on DVDs cracking at an alarming rate. While some cracks may be due to poor handling, the number of reports seems to be too high to be a mere coincidence.

I'm now inspecting carefully all the disc before and after inserting them into the drive.Anyone had such a bad experience ?

nV`andrew
03-08-06, 09:25 AM
oh how cool. im stuck with the loud and hot one. :(

Acid Rain
03-08-06, 02:34 PM
oh how cool. im stuck with the loud and hot one. :(Could be worse. You could have bought two loud hot ones like me. Well, if they break, MS will make it right, and quickly. They've been exceptional in this regard.