PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy IV Advance

Zelda_fan
03-08-06, 10:18 AM

What can I say, this game is simply fantastic. It ranks right up there with Zelda in my opinion, and in 10 years of gaming this is the first time I've ever made such a statement. Yes, I realize it is a remake of FFII and FFIV for SNES, but this is the first time I've ever seen it myself, so natually I was blown away.

It is an epic story of redemption and sacrifice, and there are time during the game where the story is very moving. Character developement and dialogue are masterfully done, and there are times in the story where a party member dies for good... very moving. The storyline has a lot of twists and turns. Just when you think you are getting to the end of the game, BAM, a new plot twist, and a whole nother section of the map opens up. Makes for a great game. It plays out more like a movie than a game.

The soundtrack is wonderful. The music perfectly complements every aspect of the game. Something I haven't seen done right since Zelda or Mario. What's even better is after you beat the game, it opens up a soundtrack player under the "extras" menu.

I am not a fan of turn based RPGs at all, but I must say, I like the way FF handels combat. It is still turn based, but the way it's done makes for a very fast paced game. If you dick around all day waiting to decide your attack, the enemies will go ahead and keep attacking you in the meantime giving you incentive to make decisions quickly. And this game isn't easy. It isn't insane difficult either, but it isn't a cake walk. You'll have to use your brain to beat this one which is a good thing.

The ending sequence is well done - something which is severly lacking in today's games. I honestly have not seen a more satisfying ending since Zelda OOT.

All in all, great game, and you would be missing out not to play it. I would consider buying a GBA or DS for the sole reason of playing this game.

Toss3
03-08-06, 10:31 AM

What can I say, this game is simply fantastic. It ranks right up there with Zelda in my opinion, and in 10 years of gaming this is the first time I've ever made such a statement. Yes, I realize it is a remake of FFII and FFIV for SNES, but this is the first time I've ever seen it myself, so natually I was blown away.

It is an epic story of redemption and sacrifice, and there are time during the game where the story is very moving. Character developement and dialogue are masterfully done, and there are times in the story where a party member dies for good... very moving. The storyline has a lot of twists and turns. Just when you think you are getting to the end of the game, BAM, a new plot twist, and a whole nother section of the map opens up. Makes for a great game. It plays out more like a movie than a game.

The soundtrack is wonderful. The music perfectly complements every aspect of the game. Something I haven't seen done right since Zelda or Mario. What's even better is after you beat the game, it opens up a soundtrack player under the "extras" menu.

I am not a fan of turn based RPGs at all, but I must say, I like the way FF handels combat. It is still turn based, but the way it's done makes for a very fast paced game. If you dick around all day waiting to decide your attack, the enemies will go ahead and keep attacking you in the meantime giving you incentive to make decisions quickly. And this game isn't easy. It isn't insane difficult either, but it isn't a cake walk. You'll have to use your brain to beat this one which is a good thing.

The ending sequence is well done - something which is severly lacking in today's games. I honestly have not seen a more satisfying ending since Zelda OOT.

All in all, great game, and you would be missing out not to play it. I would consider buying a GBA or DS for the sole reason of playing this game.

Yep FFIV sure was great, but have you played FFVI yet? It was one of the best games ever! It's a pity really that these old games are much better(story wise) than most of today's games; Zelda a link to the past being one of the foremost examples. It's good though that I was too small to understand anything of these games at the time they were released, so that I now can enjoy 'em to the fullest! (nana2)

hazindu
03-09-06, 07:32 AM
compared to snes's ff2:

the good:
1. the text is translated from Japanese correctly in the gba version
2. you walk alot faster in towns and dungoens in the gba version
3. menus have been updated. for example you can cast cure multiple times without having to resellect it every time
4. few graphical tweaks here and there

the bad:
1. the double weapons cheat\bug has been fixed in the gba version
2. too much slow down in battles
3. moving faster makes the encounter rate seem higher(step for step, it is not faster than the snes version, it just feels like it is because you move faster)
4. heal\remedey items have been divided into many groups cluttering your already limited inventory

Overall, I think the fixed dialogue makes the gba version worth while.(nana2)

|MaguS|
03-09-06, 07:53 AM
The GBA version is actually the PSX version just shrunk down. The PSX version was the version the rescripted for release and updated alot of the dungeons. They also changed the difficulty aswell.

Zelda_fan
03-09-06, 11:59 PM
The GBA version is actually the PSX version just shrunk down. The PSX version was the version the rescripted for release and updated alot of the dungeons. They also changed the difficulty aswell.

it's a little different. I've seen PSX screenshots, and the GBA looks more smooth. Also there is a new 50 level dungeon in the GBA one.

the bad:
1. the double weapons cheat\bug has been fixed in the gba version
2. too much slow down in battles
3. moving faster makes the encounter rate seem higher(step for step, it is not faster than the snes version, it just feels like it is because you move faster)
4. heal\remedey items have been divided into many groups cluttering your already limited inventory

1) Fixing a cheat is a good thing IMHO
2) I didn't see a slowdown when I played on my DS
3) You can turn autorun off
4) Just toss away the junk you'll never use and you'll be fine.

Rakeesh
03-10-06, 02:37 AM
I never could get that double weapon bug to work in FF2 for snes. That was a very good game though, probably the best RPG ever IMO.

Another game they ought to make a new rendition of is the original shadowrun.

|MaguS|
03-10-06, 06:25 AM
it's a little different. I've seen PSX screenshots, and the GBA looks more smooth.

It looks more smooth because the screen is tiny, the graphics are the same.

hazindu
03-10-06, 06:58 AM
1) Fixing a cheat is a good thing IMHO
2) I didn't see a slowdown when I played on my DS
3) You can turn autorun off
4) Just toss away the junk you'll never use and you'll be fine.
1. your right, the games easy enough without having 20 excaliburs to throw at Zemorous
2. Compared to the snes version there is quite a bit of lag in many of the battles
3. no way I'd do that!!!;)
4. that's exacly what I did

great game, I hope they also release FF5 and FF6 for gba.

I've only played a homebrew translated version of FF5 and most of the npc's said, "fill in later":o
FF6 is just one of my all time favorite games

aAv7
03-11-06, 06:29 PM
I agree, it's ashame rpg's of today, most notably from square/enix themselves, suck so bad in comparison to what was put out years ago. FF2...I remember going to the moon, that was so fun!

FF3 (ff 6 IN JAPAN) Is still the best rpg ive ever played on a console.

FF7 was awesome as well, I personally felt FF7 hit a height and a pinnacle that could never be reached again. And so far my theory is holding. The one time I wanted my big mouthed comments to be wrong lol.