PDA

View Full Version : scsi issue

retsam
03-09-06, 08:06 AM
well i just bought a scsi pci-e 320 card (lsi-320-2e) well normally i can get paast most issues by jsut googling it or talking to freinds but neither seems to have worked this time. well here is the problem. when the system boots it gives me the error " raid key authentication error" well before anyone says anything about termination the card is self termination. well i did try and turn this off and terminate the ends, to no avail. i did try to flash the scsi's card bios but the the flash utility jsut hangs when i try to flash it. i have a feeling this card is fried but the bios responds when there is no memory in the card itself.

Riptide
03-09-06, 08:40 AM
Did you get it used? Try calling LSI if not. Or see if there is some troubleshooting information on their site for that particular message.

retsam
03-09-06, 08:48 AM
ya i did both, i e-mailed LSI and still havent gotten a reply. google turns up nothing either. i was hoping someone has heard of this problem. i talked to my san guys at work and they never heard of this error before. ahhh this sucks this is part of my new gaming rig and i want to get it up and running so bad.

retsam
03-09-06, 10:36 AM
oh well just got off the phone with LSI, i cam to find out this was a prototype board that wasnt ment to go out to the public..thats what i get for going the-ebay route.

Son Goku
03-09-06, 11:23 PM
oh well just got off the phone with LSI, i cam to find out this was a prototype board that wasnt ment to go out to the public..thats what i get for going the-ebay route.

Man, that sucks... If you didn't give that guy rep, I'd suggest leaving negative rep (or at least neutral if he did all else good); with a comment about the prototype board, the error, and what the mfg said...

Course on termination, auto-terminate only applies to the card, not the other end of an attached cable, as I understand it... However, depending on the drive used, this won't matter. I say this, because in my system I have an Ultra 2 and an Ultra 160 drive, both use LVD (low voltage differential SCSI), and the LVD SCSI cables include their own terminator at the end. As such, only the bus holding SE SCSI buses needs it's own termination, and usually there's a jumper on many drives to set this. Anyhow, you tried manually terminating it all, so I agree, that was ruled out before they got back to ya...

In any case, feedback for the seller might be in order...

retsam
03-10-06, 08:56 AM
i already gave a feed back( ya i know stupid me) before i tested it... but it took me over a month to test the board to begin with. he only had a 30 day return period...this is definatly a lesson learned. but i just bought a brand spanking new card so i know this will not happen again. well i really cant complain i only paid 130$ for the card...but i would have really liked to have spent that money on something else..but i just bought a brand new card so this will not happen again...

Son Goku
03-10-06, 09:25 AM
Good luck, and good to hear that your gaming rig will be back up and in operation :thumbsup:

retsam
03-10-06, 09:38 AM
thanks..i cant wait to get this beast up and fully running... its a x2 4400+ with 2 gigs of ocz ram and a 7800gt ( i was waiting for the 7900 512 when i bought it)with 4x scsi 320 73 gig 10k drives..with 512 on the raid card which is pci-e. this thing is going to literaly and figurativly scream.

Riptide
03-10-06, 10:20 AM
Did you e-mail the seller and report what happened?

retsam
03-10-06, 11:28 AM
not yet but im about to to see if i can get my money back.

Haspalm
06-26-06, 04:02 AM
Hi retsam,
I found out that if I had a usb-device attacted (dongle or hd) it was messing up my scsi to give the same error as yours. Removing the usb-device I could boot just fine.