PDA

View Full Version : New SLI Setup, Questions (DVI Port / Performance)

Kaguya
03-09-06, 12:10 PM
So, just setup my SLI yesterday, and I *think* everything is fine but I wanted to check with the folks here:

1) When I first booted up in SLI, I got no signal out of the Top card, but when I connected my monitor to the Bottom card, it worked. Windows told me SLI was ready, and I was able to select it in the drivers. I double-checked by playing some games with the green-lines enabled and I'm guessing everything is probably working as expected?

2) I'm not sure whether my performance is good or not. I definitely saw some improvement, but Quake 4 at 1600x1200 2x AA (Quality) was slow. However, 1280x1024 4xAA (Ultra Quality) works really really well. NFSMW ran a *little* bit slower at 1600x1200 4xAA, but it was playable - but changed it to 1280x1024 with 8xAA and turned on all the details (had some off) and it smooth.

So is it unusual to have to plug into the bottom of the two cars? Should I be concerned? My performance seems to be improved, but did it improve enough?

Thanks!

OWA
03-09-06, 12:16 PM
You're supposed to plug it in to the first card (whatever one is in the first pci-express slot). Normally, when I connect something to the 2nd card, I have all sorts of weird issues and performance wasn't as good. I'm not sure why yours seems reversed.

Kaguya
03-09-06, 12:21 PM
Since the SLI drivers got setup, I actually haven't bothered to move the plug back up to see if I get a signal from the top... maybe now that SLI is on the top card will work. If I get better performance from the top, I'll move it (assuming I get a signal - won't know till I get home from work) ... I just thought if it was working, I wouldn't screw with it until I heard otherwise.

Kaguya
03-09-06, 12:51 PM
Nope. I snuck home for lunch and I get no signal from the top card at boot. Could it be that I put my SLI Bridge on backward?

JaxMacFL
03-09-06, 01:04 PM
Nope. I snuck home for lunch and I get no signal from the top card at boot. Could it be that I put my SLI Bridge on backward?

You want to plug your monitor into the top card's recepticle closest to the motherboard.

Kaguya
03-09-06, 02:04 PM
You want to plug your monitor into the top card's recepticle closest to the motherboard.

I understand that... I'm trying my best to make that happen, but it will not give me any display if I use the top card.

I just tried the following: Booting with just the top card (worked) then added the bottom card (stopped working - had to switch to the bottom card).

I tried reversing the SLI bridge. Did nothing.

I tried swapping the cards to different positions... nothing.

I cannot get any image on my monitor unless I use the bottom of the two cards. :(

SLippe
03-09-06, 02:21 PM
Read your mobo's manual. Mine plainly states that the bottom slot will be the primary when in SLI mode. Some 'boards may be different, I guess.

EDIT: I see we have the same mobo, so it must be an eVGA thing to make the bottom slot the primary. You are fine, don't worry about it.

Kaguya
03-09-06, 02:50 PM
So it is... I was confused because every other motherboard (and even one of the techs on the EVGA forum) indicated that I should be hooked up to the top card :D

I didn't even read this part of the manual (I was just concerned I had to either flip some card or place some jumper to get SLI to work, but didn't think about reading anything more):

FROM TOP TO BOTTOM
1x PCI-E
8x PCI-E (for SLI operation)
16x PCI-E (for standard graphics
card operation)
8x PCI-E (for SLI operation - note
that this slot will be the primary
graphics out slot when running in
SLI mode - so make sure to attach
your monitor cable to this card’s
VGA out.)

Thanks!

Kaguya
03-10-06, 09:16 AM
Okay, got everything setup (since I was mucking around in there I moved some cards around for better airflow) and removed and reinstalled the nVidia drivers. Everything seems to be working: Approximate 3Dmark05 of 10,000 and 3Dmark06 of just over 6,200, which I think seems to indicate I'm getting SLI performance (my CPU is holding back the numbers for '05, I think - can't overclock this puppy because I was stupid and filled all my RAM slots).

Thanks for the help!