PDA

View Full Version : HD Issues

ZealPath
03-09-06, 09:44 PM
Hello there, I have encountered a bit of a horror story as I can no longer get into one of my hard drives, or so it would seem.

Last night one of my machines, a 5 year old dell dimension 8200 died, I still havent been able to figure out what happened, I was browsing away one minute, took a quick bathroom break and came back to a bios screen telling me to press f1 to retry booting. When that failed I restarted and went into the bios to check to see if it was detecting any ide drives, and it was not detecting either the primary master or slave, or the secondary master (dvd-rom).

At that point, I became less worried because I figured something on the board had fried (the machine had probably been mostly on for the better part of 4 years) and that the drives themselves were most likely fine.

I placed the first drive, a western digital caviar 160gb as secondary master of my other machine for a quick test.. it reads fine and the data is still intact. I did the same with the second, which was the boot drive in the dell, another wd caviar, this time 40 gb (this drive came with the machine 5 years ago). With that drive connected, the machine halts at "detecting ide drives" in the post of my second machine.

I've tried it as primary slave and secondary master, adjusted jumpers appropriately, and it still won't detect (or allow the machine to boot for that matter). I have done more than my share of troubleshooting with hard drives at work and this just makes no sense to me... I figure it will either detect or not detect, but halt? huh...

Well as you guessed I'm open and eager for any suggestions on this one, most of my important data is intact on the 2nd drive but there is some stuff on that 40 giger I definitely want to get back... and I'm hoping I'm not going to have to resort to a data restoration service.

Rytr
03-09-06, 10:06 PM
You have come up with a good one. You have booted with an existing boot drive and had this one as a slave or secondary and it would not be recognized? Have you tried to check the drive with a WD dianostic disk?
Usually a drive will not die without giving some warning but I have had it happen.
Hope you don't have to go the recovery service route.

ZealPath
03-10-06, 01:36 AM
I have now tried it in every combination I can think of and I still can't get out of post, I have noticed the red hdd led staying lit on the front of my case... not sure what that implies here.

I can't really try to scan it with diagnostics due to the fact that I can't get the machine past "detecting ide drives" whenever that drive is plugged in (so I can't even boot from a floppy or cd). It freezes even when it's not properly jumpered and should be ignored, so I'm definitely confused on this one.

I cant help but think that even though it's a wd-drive it's somehow dell-proprietary and won't work in non-dell machines... seems unlikely but this makes no sense in the first place.

On the plus side I'll be building that machine a little sooner than I planned... but I am not lookiing forward to taking that drive into data recovery as I seem to be running out of options (anyone else with any thoughts?)