PDA

View Full Version : 7900GT fan won't slow down!

tieros
03-10-06, 02:28 PM
I can't get the fan on my new 7900GT to run at any speed except "annoyingly fast and loud" :(

I tried the whole Safe Mode/DriverCleaner/reinstall drivers path, but no luck.

All the reviews said the card is silent, so I'm assuming it's something I'm doing. Any ideas?

I really don't want to pull the stock cooler off the very first day, but this noise is driving me even more crazy than usual...

FraGTastiK
03-10-06, 02:41 PM
Give this a try go to "low-level system setting" tab in Rivatuner.Enable fan adjusting and see where the slider stands, mine is at 25% when its set to AUTO.There you can change it to spin at any RPM you like.

EDIT:That is IF you can get that fan control option working on your 7900 series card.Maybe you are going to need an upcoming version of RT.

tieros
03-10-06, 03:03 PM
Well, I'm having a slight problem... :D

I can't find any place to set fan adjusting, or even sliders for that matter. I'm using RivaTuner 2.0 RC 15.8, and have dug through all of the registry stuff under the power user tab, but nothing that looks like fan adjusting is jumping out.

The only 2 low-level flyouts I have are refresh rate and desktop color scheme. I seem to remember there being more stuff when I was using the 6800GT. Could there be an issue with it not having the G71 in the db yet?

FraGTastiK
03-10-06, 03:09 PM
Yep that should be it, have to wait for the new RT.Its all on Unwinder's shoulders now. :)

AliceCooper
03-10-06, 03:14 PM
Are u talking 2D or 3D?

AFAIK the fan on my Gainward Bliss GLH 512mb doesn't even run in 2D (core 450 mem 1.3 stock) it is so quiet. In 3D I can hear it start up and slow down at the end but during gaming very quiet.

I notice you have the super oc version so the fan might have to spin faster to cool it down all the time. Maybe it's the price u have to pay for a card like that.

tieros
03-10-06, 03:43 PM
I was going to put the Zalman on anyway. I just wasn't expecting to have to do it today :D

The card is currently at 42C idle and 49C load with the fan stuck at full speed. I'll post a followup when I get back from Costco and get the Zalman installed.

AliceCooper
03-10-06, 04:09 PM
1 last try.

I installed the Gainward Expert tool & it made the fan run at min 60% all the time, i.e. really noisy.

Have u installed any o/c utilities from the CD?

Worth a try.

Cheers

Dazz
03-10-06, 04:12 PM
If it's anything like my X800 NEVER NEVER use auto as it changes all the time and when it's at a border for a temp it slows down then speed up all the time you are gaming and will kill your fan this should be fixed if you value your cards lifespan even remotely.

tieros
03-10-06, 11:48 PM
K, here's the followup after switching the stock sink/fan out for a Zalman VF700-CU.

One word summary: Sweeeeeeet :D

I have the Zalman on the 5V (silent) feed, and the card is idling at 35C! I ran a short load test (2 loops of AM3), and it was 42C. That's with the clocks at 550/790 (default for this card).

My PC is inaudible again, ahhhhhhhhh :D

watever
03-10-06, 11:56 PM
hmm i wonder if the nv silencer5 rev3 will fit on this card

tieros
03-11-06, 12:11 AM
The mounting holes are the same distance apart, but the 7900GT is a really short card compared to either of the 6800s I have here. The holes are also a few millimeters closer to the motherboard. The top of the Zalman stuck up about 1/4" over the top of my 6800, but it's just a hair taller than the 7900GT PCB.

I bumped the clocks to 575/820, and ran AM3 a few times. The OC only got me 1K more (so 1 FPS), so I bumped it back down to stock. Even OCed, the temp peaked at 42C. I'm REALLY impressed with this GPU !

watever
03-11-06, 12:39 AM
this card sounds sweet.. cant wait to get mine from the evga step up program. Hopefully my silencer will fit on this beast.