PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 7900 GTX Random Freezing

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

keith33
03-10-06, 08:48 PM
Completely randomly, I get hard freezes in games that go away after 10 seconds, this happens in CS Source, FEAR, and NFS Most Wanted, I grabbed the Beta Drivers off this forum and I can't find any thing else that's compatible. Any ideas? This never happened with my 7800 in the identical setup.

jAkUp
03-10-06, 09:07 PM
Hey Keith,

Make sure you are using the 84.20 drivers here:
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_32bit_84.20.html

They fix some freezing issues.

Also, try testing the card at 650/1.6GHz clocks to see the freezing goes away.

keith33
03-10-06, 09:35 PM
Hey Keith,

Make sure you are using the 84.20 drivers here:
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_32bit_84.20.html

They fix some freezing issues.

Also, try testing the card at 650/1.6GHz clocks to see the freezing goes away.

Thanks, just tried the 84.20s, made no difference so far. Freezing still happens. :(

I'll try the reference clocks tonight to see if it changes anything. Seriously though, WTF, do you think its a faulty card "superclocked"??

I'm begging all of you for help right now because it really sucks to have a brand new video card that freezes every 15 minutes out of no where!!

xorbe
03-10-06, 09:50 PM
After reading all the complaints about superclocked eVGA 7800gs cards over on newegg... I think I'd stick to the stock clock or a conservative bump.

lee63
03-10-06, 09:54 PM
After reading all the complaints about superclocked eVGA 7800gs cards over on newegg... I think I'd stick to the stock clock or a conservative bump.He bought the card @ 690/1.76, it should work at that speed, I would settle for nothing less.

keith33
03-10-06, 09:57 PM
He bought the @ 690/1.76, it should work at that speed, I would settle for nothing less.

Exactly! You wouldn't believe how depressing this is, I have a huge LAN party tomorrow and I can't even use my damn card because it randomly freezes and I'd get the sh!t fragged out of me in that situation. I feel like calling eVGA and tearing someone's ear off. I bet I'll have to send in the card too and sit at home without a video card for a week. PRAYING there's a driver fix.

I'm sorry if this sounds like whining but that's all I'm feeling right now lol.

IF this is a faulty overclock, it'll be my first problem ever with eVGA. And hopefully the last. We'll see what happens.

Marvel_us
03-10-06, 10:10 PM
Hehe, call up jakup. He's a EVGA tech, isn't he?;)

This sucks big time keith. Hope you get it solved w/o having to send it back.

Just wondering, did you try driver cleaner before installing the new drivers?

keith33
03-10-06, 10:26 PM
Hehe, call up jakup. He's a EVGA tech, isn't he?;)

This sucks big time keith. Hope you get it solved w/o having to send it back.

Just wondering, did you try driver cleaner before installing the new drivers?

Heh, thanks for the support. :)

Yup, I used Driver Cleaner Pro to clean out the old drivers before putting in the 7900. You think that deleted something it shouldn't have? Should I try updating DX9 or something?

lee63
03-10-06, 10:36 PM
I think the best thing to do is what jAkUp said, set it to 650/1.6 and see if it work's, if so it's the OC or somthing else, keep an eye on your temp's.

killahsin
03-10-06, 10:51 PM
temps psu ghost drivers defrag time. Mobo drivers. Those are the usual causes of freezing, outside of the old ac 97 issues.

keith33
03-10-06, 11:11 PM
WELL, just played NFS Most Wanted for 45 minutes with reference clocks... no freezing whatsoever. So, WTF, WTF, WTF *angriest face i can give across the internet!*

Oh and my rails are rock solid. And mobo drivers are updated. And I use an X-Fi with disabled on-board.

Mr_LoL
03-10-06, 11:31 PM
WELL, just played NFS Most Wanted for 45 minutes with reference clocks... no freezing whatsoever. So, WTF, WTF, WTF *angriest face i can give across the internet!*

Oh and my rails are rock solid. And mobo drivers are updated. And I use an X-Fi with disabled on-board.

Looks like you will have to return it. No point paying a premium to have something that doesnt work as advertised.

eva2000
03-11-06, 01:00 AM
ouch was looking at the superclocked ones too

tried to see how far you can clock it before random freezing occurs ?

LBJM
03-11-06, 01:34 AM
sounds to me like you need water cooling ;)

killahsin
03-11-06, 03:05 AM
This does not bode well. what are your temperatures under 3d load?

top3koms
03-11-06, 06:05 AM
I don't think it is a prevalent problem with the EVGA superclocks.I played and ran tests all day yesterday and it was warm here too ,and I didn't have any problems and this is in the same mobo with a x-fi sammiched inbetween.Keith ,it unfortunately sounds like you just got a bad card :( I hope they get it straightened out for ya quick.I wonder if it's the heatsink not being seating properly or if they just put the wrong core on that particular card ?

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/4532/runninginsli9gk.th.jpg

Super KW
03-11-06, 06:15 AM
Heh, thanks for the support. :)

Yup, I used Driver Cleaner Pro to clean out the old drivers before putting in the 7900. You think that deleted something it shouldn't have? Should I try updating DX9 or something?

driver cleaner pro will delete all nvidia driver -display,chipset, and all nvidia things !!!!!!!!!!!!
try to renstall your chipset driver its not your video card issue 100%

rflair
03-11-06, 07:39 AM
driver cleaner pro will delete all nvidia driver -display,chipset, and all nvidia things !!!!!!!!!!!!
try to renstall your chipset driver its not your video card issue 100%

No it won't, DCpro can delete just the video drivers.

kieth33, get Rivatunner and up the 3D fan speed to 100%, might help if its heat related.

Rivatunner may not work unless you add the 7900 device id to its config file.

keith33
03-11-06, 08:57 AM
I just tried changing the chipset drivers and nothing happened. I tried running FEAR again this morning and it became artifact city all over.

AND Then I freakin' called eVGA and some Tech Support guy tells me I need to send this card FIRST and then they'll send a replacement 3 days after that. That's my entire spring break without a video card. OMGWTFBBQ. Why the hell can't they do a cross-shipment (I said I'd leave my credit card!), its not my fault my damn card doesn't work as advertised, now I have to pay for shipping, and wait for a week without a card. BULL!

If I have to wait a week, LAST eVGA product to ever reach my house!

EDIT: I called eVGA again to get RMA replacement and I got the same tech support guy, he claims they don't process RMAs until Monday, but oh apparently it MIGHT be possible to cross-ship. Still, it means I won't get a replacement till Friday-ish. When I have to work on homework and junk lol. I guess my next card will be XFX :(

eva2000
03-11-06, 09:49 AM
ouch well at least you'll know if it's the card or not when you get the replacement

OrangeBlast
03-11-06, 10:15 AM
Good luck w/ EVGA. There cards are great but there customer serivce is ****! Espeically when going through the step-up program. Took them about a month to get my stuff straight when I was told 3 days...a big all crazy mess...uhg.

just thought you should know to brace yourself when dealing w/ EVGA...just bad customer service.

good luck.

lee63
03-11-06, 10:48 AM
Good luck w/ EVGA. There cards are great but there customer serivce is ****! Espeically when going through the step-up program. Took them about a month to get my stuff straight when I was told 3 days...a big all crazy mess...uhg.

just thought you should know to brace yourself when dealing w/ EVGA...just bad customer service.

good luck.There are people who work for eVGA on these forum's, he will have no problem's at all :)

hemmy
03-11-06, 10:54 AM
Um...you might complain about EVGA, but there are always problems with companies. There are posts about EVGA, BFG, XFX, Leadtek etc. all having bad support, but in general they are good.

Every single video card cannot possibly be stress-tested, having a fault video card is just part of the industry

Marvel_us
03-11-06, 12:14 PM
So the only thing you can do now is homework keith. That way you can enjoy your card when it comes.

I still need to order mine. Was gonna get a BFG from newegg but it's out of stock!

Hope you get everything worked out.

sniggle
03-11-06, 12:50 PM
I've been getting random hard lockups with my BFG 7900GTX OC. I've gotten about 2 locks just doing random stuff on the desktop, and the rest have been when trying to quit out of FarCry after attempting to use HDR (which is completely messed up with both 84.20 and 83.90). These are not just temporary freezes; they're complete lock ups.

I also rewired/reformatted my system the day before getting the card, so perhaps that has something to do with it. I will have to do some more diagnostics.