PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to clean your computer?

keith33
03-11-06, 04:16 PM
I'm getting kind of tired of this compressed air/damp cloth to wipe the dust that was removed method. I've probably gone through $20 of air cans a month because I'm anal about keeping my parts dust free. Is there a computer vacuum of some sort? A conventional vacuum doesn't have enough suction power to get all the dust out! Any other ideas?:)

nV`andrew
03-11-06, 04:36 PM
wait wait wait, lol make sure u dont use a conventional vaccum. i jsut used compressed air, havent even gone thru a can cuz my air filters, but the best way are the small computer vaccums. they are reeal nice and run from about $70 and up i believe. theres ppl here who have them so wait for some more replies

rflair
03-11-06, 04:46 PM
The vaccum I have, air queen or filter queen lets you hook the hose to the vaccum exhaust and it works like compressed air.

To clean my LCD I use lens cleaner made for glasses.

If I ever take the video card out or motherboard I clean it with a toothbrush, you can buy a real pcb brush but a toothbrush works just as good.

Sazar
03-11-06, 05:04 PM
A disposable monkey.

I bought one the same day I saw it on an SNL hsn skit.

Son Goku
03-11-06, 05:45 PM
Seriously, an air compressor. You can find one at Sears or other such store, which will give a lot more blowing power then a can of air...

Jokingly, the dust buster attachment found on the GeForce FX 5x00 series cards. Attach that baby to dat there vacuum cleaner, and instant suction :rofl

nVidiaGuru
03-11-06, 05:49 PM
i use an air compressor, gets the job done every time and very quickly too :)

wheeljack12
03-11-06, 06:40 PM
I use the air cans. Haven't got the coin together yet for a compressor. I wouldn't use any form of a vacuum. The word static comes to mind everytime I think of the word vacuum.

Roadhog
03-11-06, 06:42 PM
air compressor.

SH64
03-11-06, 08:34 PM
Air compressor aswell .. for tiny/delicate stuff though i just use a painting brush.

nrs421
03-11-06, 08:54 PM
water (pirate)

retsam
03-11-06, 09:20 PM
i use a vacuum specially made for high end expensive IBM mainframe equiptment...

Acid Rain
03-11-06, 09:45 PM
Any other ideas?:)A case with filters. My Thermaltake Xaser III never gets vacuumed out. I just detach the filters every three months or so, suck em out with the vacuum cleaner hose, and off I go. They work surprisingly well, and the inside of the case is nearly pristine, though it's never ever been vacuumed out in 2 years. Airflow stays good, the system stays cool, and the heatsinks stay clean and effective all the time.

ViN86
03-11-06, 10:28 PM
my computer is suspended in oil. it doesnt get dust on it. :bleh:

nV`andrew
03-11-06, 10:33 PM
A case with filters. My Thermaltake Xaser III never gets vacuumed out. I just detach the filters every three months or so, suck em out with the vacuum cleaner hose, and off I go. They work surprisingly well, and the inside of the case is nearly pristine, though it's never ever been vacuumed out in 2 years. Airflow stays good, the system stays cool, and the heatsinks stay clean and effective all the time.

yeah i just have one filter on my front intake 120mm fan and i have literally no dust at all. so i dust every 2 months and rinse out the filter every month. it doesnt really inhibit airflow one bit

whoodiestyle
03-11-06, 11:11 PM
air compressor i pulled a huge clump of dust of one of my fan grills cuase i couldnt care less about dust

Peoples-Agent
03-12-06, 02:57 AM
The sweat and juice of 100 virgins, a gold weaved cloth...whilst in a circle of ceremony and prayer.

When that fails, I use compressed air and a toothbrush.

Capt. Picard
03-12-06, 03:01 AM
I think the bristles on a toothbrush is too hard. I use a 2-inch paintbrush. (of course one that has not been used for painting already ... Duh!).

fasedww
03-12-06, 05:02 PM
i use an air compressor, gets the job done every time and very quickly too :)Me two I got a 2hp electric with a 4 gallon tank at menards for 95.00 dollars , the thing is pretty compact sit's in my closet no problem.:D I also have filter's on my fans, I just cut out one from A/C filters you buy at hardware store. You can wash them also, I change to a different set once a week.

Son Goku
03-12-06, 05:39 PM
yeah i just have one filter on my front intake 120mm fan and i have literally no dust at all. so i dust every 2 months and rinse out the filter every month. it doesnt really inhibit airflow one bit

I have a filter on 2 fans, and if I might add, I do get dust in the thing :eek: Might also depend on how dusty the environment is; and in this regard New Mexico is rather dry and dusty compared to other climates.

Oh, and whoever said water :rofl I wonder if that's before or after you unplug the comp :angel: Just messing with you :D

nV`andrew
03-12-06, 06:22 PM
I have a filter on 2 fans, and if I might add, I do get dust in the thing :eek: Might also depend on how dusty the environment is; and in this regard New Mexico is rather dry and dusty compared to other climates.

Oh, and whoever said water :rofl I wonder if that's before or after you unplug the comp :angel: Just messing with you :D

funny that i said that. i USED to not have dust. now sicne its spring almost, even tho it's winter weather here in CA, my lab and my husky shed like crazy. and my pc is next to the kitchen in the den right now and all the human skin shedding has contributed to my dust. u probably only need filters on the intake fans, dont think having it on exhaust would help much would it? but anyways, i jsut had to zap my cpu fan with some air and my gpu and fan grill and its all good, and then i washed my air filter. this antec has such good airflow, maybe thats why, cuz all the holes and stuff.

Acid Rain
03-12-06, 06:50 PM
yeah i just have one filter on my front intake 120mm fan and i have literally no dust at all. so i dust every 2 months and rinse out the filter every month. it doesnt really inhibit airflow one bitNot remotely enough to be a problem, anyway. Plenty of wind still rages out of the back of my machine regardless, and all my components stay as cool as the next guy's. Cooler, perhaps, due to not having any layer of dust on the heatsinks whatsoever.

nV`andrew
03-12-06, 06:55 PM
Not remotely enough to be a problem, anyway. Plenty of wind still rages out of the back of my machine regardless, and all my components stay as cool as the next guy's. Cooler, perhaps, due to not having any layer of dust on the heatsinks whatsoever.

yeah everyone says they block so much airflow. well i have a boatload of air blowin out the back just like u and all my components are really cool

Peoples-Agent
03-13-06, 04:30 AM
Whatever way you look at it .....systems run cooler with less dust.

Everytime I give my PC a clean, my graphics cards idle temp goes down by at 3-4C.

Strahd
03-13-06, 10:50 AM
I use this: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=TOOL&bidsite=&pid=00915310000&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes