PDA

View Full Version : Change Games Priority, how?

Pages : [1] 2

WimpMiester
03-11-06, 05:56 PM
I want to run a few games at AboveNormal priority, how can I set them up to do this automatically when they start?

einstein_314
03-11-06, 06:42 PM
Umm, out of curiosity, why do you want to do that?

WimpMiester
03-11-06, 08:01 PM
Because some games run smother with their priority raised to abovenormal and also the new Norton System Works 2006 is a resource hog making some games stutter, raising the priority for those games helps allot.

faraday
03-11-06, 08:16 PM
In windows, I believe you just need to go to task manager, processes, right click a process and choose the priority (they even have a real-time option, I laughed my ass out at that one). One advice thou, thread carefully (oh the wit), because messing with priorities usually is a bad ideia.

EDIT: oops sorry, didn't notice you asked how to do this automatically, my bad, ignore me please.

EDIT2: this might help http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/start.mspx

WimpMiester
03-11-06, 09:16 PM
I tried START.EXE before I posted but I couldn't get it work. I may have been formating the command wrong but I tried every way I could think of and yet the game wouldn't load.

rewt
03-11-06, 11:05 PM
I've been using this method for a while now. Here is an example for starting Battlefield 2: Special Forces in abovenormal priority, resides in "G:\Battlefield 2" directory

start "title" /d"G:\Battlefield 2" /abovenormal /b "G:\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +modPath mods/xpack +ignoreAsserts 1 +szx 1024 +szy 768

:edit:

You could type all that in the run box, but I prefer to save time by putting it in a batch (.bat) file and double-clicking on it.

jAkUp
03-11-06, 11:06 PM
Somebody is actually using System Works on a gaming PC??!! :)

rewt
03-11-06, 11:19 PM
Yeah no kidding! I wouldn't let anything made by norton or symantec come even remotely close to touching my pc..

But hey, whatever floats your boat :p

WimpMiester
03-12-06, 11:10 AM
Somebody is actually using System Works on a gaming PC??!! :)

It's never caused a problem for me until this 2006 release. You could always turn off those completely unnecessary and useless memory resident features like System Monitor. But it looks like they replaced the System Monitor with Security Monitor and there’s no way that I can see to turn it off so it doesn't load, same with Ghost. I think These 2 Services are the cause of game stutters.

WimpMiester
03-12-06, 04:01 PM
Raising the prioirty of a game worked really good except my ventrilo didn't like the speed sound was being sent to it and the display driver refresh override no longer worked. What I've currently decided on was making a batch file that runs from my startup folder which lowers all the services of norton except antivirus-autoprotect to Below Normal.

Greg
03-12-06, 09:00 PM
I recommend you don't raise your game process priority as the game, being the foreground, focussed app is already getting the most CPU time it should have. Changing the priority will just cause the background threads, which may include your sound and network drivers to behave unpredictably. A better thing to do is disable or configure anybackground apps that are slowing the system or causing periodic performance spikes. But hey, it's your computer, go sick!

de><ta
03-13-06, 07:59 PM
Just create a .bat file with the following commands:

cd /d "<program path>"
start /high <executable name + parameters>

edit: You might want to tweak your irq's a bit or else you will have a delayed response from most peripherals.

SavagePaladin
03-16-06, 09:55 PM
PGware's PCboost (http://pgware.com/products/pcboost/) is a good way to put front running apps to High without even needing to touch anything ever again. I've only seen it make anything unstable if I'd already screwed up my OS (or am using Vista, heh heh.)

(p.s. no, I'm not back...or am I)

It's a good proggy.

Telomerase
03-16-06, 11:06 PM
lol, that's awesome. TransGaming Cedega users used to make scripts to change the priority of games in Linux before Cedega implemented it's own sheduler and renice system. Very interesting that it's being done in Windows.

SavagePaladin
03-16-06, 11:45 PM
Their automatic tweaker app is good too. People tend to discredit tweak apps when they don't know what they do, and for good reason, but PGware seems to know their stuff.

It doesn't do a whole hell of a lot for XP x64, mind you, but they said they're 'soon' (whatever that actually means) to release a new version with that.

Otherwise, they do either weekly or biweekly updates...and I'd say over half of em are to fix issues with win9x. Hah.

(I'm not using the latest, since it doesn't change anything for me, but here's a sample from PCboosts)
* 3.2.27.2006 - Recompiled software to fix numerous graphical bugs and glitches with text displaying on lower resolution computers.
* 3.2.20.2006 - Fixed minor bugs within software startup, and updated anti-piracy routines within software.
* 3.2.13.2006 - Modified registration system which would not function correctly on some older Win 95 computers.
* 3.2.6.2006 - Updated internal components within software to fix various bugs and display glitches.
* 3.1.30.2006 - Fixed problem with compression of the software executable which would trigger a false positive with some virus scanners.
* 3.1.23.2006 - Fixed problem with installer which prevented installation of software on some computers.
* 3.1.16.2006 - Updated product documentation, fixed minor graphical problems, and removed redundant code within software.
* 3.1.9.2006 - Updated installer package to fix minor problems with installation of software on some computers. Also added fix for the program TradeTrakker.
* 3.1.2.2006 - Reduced internal timer within software which applies cpu priority setting at faster speeds.
* 3.12.26.2005 - Updated several graphical interface components to display correctly on lower resolution computers.
(And Gamegain)
* 2.2.27.2006 - Recompiled software to fix numerous graphical bugs and glitches with text displaying on lower resolution computers.
* 2.2.20.2006 - Fixed minor bugs within software startup, and updated anti-piracy routines within software.
* 2.2.13.2006 - Modified registration system which would not function correctly on some older Win 95 computers.
* 2.2.6.2006 - Added new file buffer tweaks.
* 2.1.30.2006 - Fixed problem with compression of the software executable which would trigger a false positive with some virus scanners.
* 2.1.23.2006 - Fixed problem with installer which prevented installation of software on some computers.
* 2.1.16.2006 - Updated product documentation, fixed minor graphical problems, and removed redundant code within software.
* 2.1.9.2006 - Updated installer package to fix minor problems with installation of software on some computers.
* 2.1.2.2006 - Added new memory tweaks to Windows XP based computers.
* 2.12.26.2005 - Updated several graphical interface components to display correctly on lower resolution computers.

It's just interesting. I don't know anyone else that makes a habit of such frequent updates.

Telomerase
03-17-06, 01:03 AM
it would seem that /high priority is terrible. i experienced an insane degree of hitching in FEAR with it, figuring it was because i turned the cpu settings up. turns out /abovenormal is the "sweet spot" for game priority at least in my tests. can anyone else submit their experiences?

SavagePaladin
03-17-06, 01:06 AM
I rarely have problems with High unless my vidcard or RAM is not sufficient for what I'm throwing at it anyway. Then I definately have issues. Keyboard starts acting up and the hitching gets even more noticable....indeed.

Telomerase
03-17-06, 01:28 AM
i only have 1GB of ram :( you?

SavagePaladin
03-17-06, 01:32 AM
Ath64 2800+ 1gb RAM XP x64 6600GT Audigy 2 no antivirus no antispyware no Norton crap....(Windows firewall is on, of course)

Just me, IM programs, PCboost, music programs, and games all running at the same time with no problems.

SavagePaladin
03-17-06, 01:38 AM
Of course with something as system heavy as FEAR I wouldn't max details or leave music running in the background (which would totally ruin the mood anyway.)

Telomerase
03-17-06, 01:46 AM
i'd recommend at least Windows Defender (disable all startup/automatic features) for a Microsoft program it can be very unintrusive for how small and powerful it is. i've cropped all of my services down heavily as well.

SavagePaladin
03-17-06, 01:53 AM
I never touch my services(except occasionally for a few, like smart card and wirelss stuff,) and I run Defender about twice a month. It never finds anything.

WimpMiester
03-17-06, 11:22 AM
If your going to raise priority I would recommend using AboveNormal and not High. Same goes for lowering to BelowNormal, I didn't see any gains by setting something to Low. But like I posted ealier I found just lowering all the services for Norton except Antivirus Autoprotect to BelowNormal did the trick. Everything is running good again and it's much easier to run a bat file at startup to lower some always running services than redoing each game. I suspect that if I was running a 64bit system this verson of norton wouldn't suck the life out of it like it did on my aging XP 3200+.

Im using Process Veiwer Commandline which can be found here; http://www.teamcti.com/pview/prcview.htm
because it's the same one that comes with Norton but to get it to change Norton Services you need to disable Norton's Protection of its files. My bat file which I created a shortcut to in my startup folder looks like this:

(Utility and bat located in C:\Program Files\Process Viewer)

@echo off
rem
rem Change Application/Service Priority
rem
rem -p[nihr] --priority set priority to "Normal", "Idle", "High", "Real Time"
rem [ba] "Below Normal" and "Above Normal" only on W2K or higher
rem -r[err] --repeat repeat command in a cycle, while (%ERRORLEVEL%>err), 0=always
rem -d[time] --delay delay time in milliseconds before executing command, 1sec=1000
rem

rem Norton Systemworks
pv -r0 -d1000 -pb ccApp.exe
pv -r0 -d1000 -pb ccEvtMgr.exe
pv -r0 -d1000 -pb ccSetMgr.exe
pv -r0 -d1000 -pb GhostTray.exe
pv -r0 -d1000 -pb NProtect.exe
pv -r0 -d1000 -pb NScSrvce.exe
pv -r0 -d1000 -pb SNDSrvc.exe
pv -r0 -d1000 -pb SPBBCSvc.exe
pv -r0 -d1000 -pb symlcsvc.exe
pv -r0 -d1000 -pb VProSvc.exe
pv -r0 -d1000 -pb NscSrvce.exe

rem Ventrilo Server
pv -r100 -d500 -pa Ventrilo_srv.exe

SavagePaladin
03-17-06, 12:34 PM
The thing that amuses me most is, when you'll get the most benefit out of changing priority such, you're already low on resources.

I haven't trusted Norton for a long time. A big pile of garbage along with a few useful apps.

Peoples-Agent
03-17-06, 12:50 PM
Norton doesn't deliver anything you can't have using a collection of free apps but taking less resources up. Norton SUCKS the big one, and I won't be renewing my subscription, i've had enough of disabling everything just to play a game.