PDA

View Full Version : Saw Unreal 3 engine first hand other day, unbelievable

Big Ev
03-11-06, 09:03 PM
So I'm in the games industry and I paid a visit to a local friend's place of employment. He showed me some contract work he is doing for start-up company with the Unreal 3 engine. Currently he's developing on the Xbox 360 and PC in parallel. I was absolutely blown away. There was no functioning game, but I got to see some animated characters, manuever in some enviroments, and some of the weapons. One of the guns was a shade over 6,000 polygons ALONE. The full blown player models in the Source engine are at 6,000 polygons.

It was truly impressive stuff, visually at least. Gameplay, well that's always up in the air. Get a solid team behind this engine though, you can have some fun and fantastic looking games.

jAkUp
03-11-06, 09:07 PM
Nice :D What kinda system was it running on?

Big Ev
03-11-06, 09:12 PM
Nice :D What kinda system was it running on?
An older Xbox 360 development kit and then the PC was with a 7800GTX 256MB and 2GB RAM and Intel Xeon (don't know the clock speeds).

jAkUp
03-11-06, 09:22 PM
How did it run?

emailthatguy
03-11-06, 09:52 PM
i saw gears of war running on the 360 at the ign live event last year.

there arent words for how orgasmic that graphics engine is. really....

i got to sit right next to mark reign while he did the demo. i gave him **** about cliffy being a slacker lol.

Big Ev
03-11-06, 11:29 PM
How did it run?
I wanna say it maintained 25fps, but there is still alot of work to be done. And this wasn't even close to being a full blown game.

Tuork
03-12-06, 06:06 PM
New engines to come... CryENgine2 and UE3 are absolutely fantastic...

Seriously, my 6800GT whimpers at their sight and hides in a corner...

Superfly
03-12-06, 06:16 PM

mine too

Its gotta last me until the end of this year though ...... ;-(

sadly.

Big Ev
03-12-06, 07:35 PM

The CryEngine2 looks great in the pics I've seen. Just jaw dropping enivorments.

Rakeesh
03-12-06, 07:36 PM
There was that goofy little robot game demo that used UE3 that was released to the public. It was crippleware though - it was sponsored by intel and thus it only works on intel processors (bleh.)

It was quite shіt though. The graphics weren't that good, the gameplay itself was retarded, and the sound effects were even more retarded.

aAv7
03-12-06, 07:49 PM
I cant wait for some ue3 engine game to come out. I suppose none of them will hit till unreal tournament 2007 hits first. sigh....nothing till this winter...

Tuork
03-13-06, 02:35 PM
mine too

sadly.

This year??? HA!
I wish... my Ti4200 lasted me about 2 years. I'm not too eager on dropping 200+ USD anytime soon.
Prolly' mid next year... jump to whatever is new then.

ynnek
03-13-06, 05:11 PM
mine too

sadly.

Same here.. I was one of the few that got the 6800GT when it first came out.. Ooof, what a rollercoaster of performance that was.. :)

At leats Next year is when the cycle will start over again.. I'll drop a bunch load of cash on new near high end stuff, and then ride it out over the course of a few years... rather than keeping on twiddling and buying small stuff over and over again.

Subtestube
03-13-06, 07:01 PM
I wanna say it maintained 25fps, but there is still alot of work to be done. And this wasn't even close to being a full blown game.

One thing to bear in mind is that if your friend is developing, the thing you saw was probably running in (and compiled for) Debug mode, which would slow it down considerably.

Just something that might be worth noting ;).

(Seriously - those of you who are developing non-professionally should see the difference between Debug and Retail builds of large scale software... it's... significant to say the least).

Big Ev
03-20-06, 01:00 PM
One thing to bear in mind is that if your friend is developing, the thing you saw was probably running in (and compiled for) Debug mode, which would slow it down considerably.

Just something that might be worth noting ;).

(Seriously - those of you who are developing non-professionally should see the difference between Debug and Retail builds of large scale software... it's... significant to say the least).
Oh yeah, I am aware of the differences since I'm a developer myself. It was a compiled executable build, running on the 360 dev kit. Its still very rough, but when standing still its pretty :p