PDA

View Full Version : The Joys of a CRT monitor

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Tygerwoody
03-11-06, 10:14 PM
ok to start. I just sold my Dell 2405FPW because I'm looking to buy the Dell 2407 when it gets released this month.

Anyway, tonight I plug up the old 21 inch CRT That I bought a good 5 years ago. I thought using this old thing would drive me CRAZY. I've been babied with LCD's for far too long. I have to admit anything with text is a pain on my eyes. However gaming is a different story.

I forgot how GREAT it was to have a CRT monitor for gaming. I was running games at 1920x1440 and man was it beautiful. You don't even see the "pixels". If 1920 resolution was too high, no problem I'll just down it to 1600x1200 or even 1280x1024. On my LCD, I had to either choose to have a blurry picture or a smaller picture if I wanted to change resolutions. I really forgot how nice having a CRT around was.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a CRT vs. LCD thread, because I definitely prefer my big 24 inch LCD over this 100lb thing. However gaming was just such a pleasant experience I had to make a post.

So when is the last time you gamed on a CRT? I encourage everyone to put their LCD aside and just try a quality CRT out for one day. Man its nice. ;)

CaptNKILL
03-11-06, 10:23 PM
Im sticking with my 19" CRT for a while. It looks great, has "super bright" modes that make games look amazing and it supports any resolution I want to run at.

I hardly ever go to LAN parties so the weight doesnt matter too much.

If I had the money (and a reason) to get a big LCD I probably would, but for now Im really happy with my CRT. This thing is sweet :)

jAkUp
03-11-06, 10:30 PM
I'm thinking of a 2407 also... :)

Edge
03-11-06, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I have a 17" CRT that works pretty well. It's nice being able to switch to any resolution I need to (up to it's maximum). LCDs are nice for Windows desktop and such, but in games the experience is much more inconsistant since there's concerns about resolution (for example many games don't support a higher-end LCD's 1280x1024 resolution, they only allow for 1280x960, and some games like Silent Hunter 3 are LOCKED at a certain resolution). But CRTs are worse when it comes to screen refreshing, my current CRT only goes at 70hz at 1280x960 resolution, and some bright parts do give that flicker effect at that point. LCDs don't have this problem, although a decent CRT should go up to around 1600x1200 while maintaining a good refresh rate.

So yeah, for games it's kind of a tradeoff: LCDs work terrific at their native resolution but not very well at other resolutions, while CRTs can run any resolution at the same quality (not taking refresh rate into account) but it isn't quite as good as an LCD at the LCD's native resolution. Personally I'll probably stick to CRTs for now, if for no other reason than because I prefer being able to change my resolution to whatever I want without having to worry about it getting fuzzy (well, that and the price).

Airbrushkid
03-11-06, 11:01 PM
I'm still on a CRT and staying. When they can make gaming better on a LCD and the prices a hell a lot low then, I might think of getting one.

Smokey
03-12-06, 12:41 AM
Im still loving my 19" Iiyama crt, I have almost bought the Dell 2405FPW, but keep on reading that crt is still better for gaming, and not just by a little either, so the only reason to change for a gamer to LCD, is because they look sooo sexxyy :p

jAkUp
03-12-06, 12:42 AM
Yea, I want a widescreen too... My NEC FE2111SB is still beautiful though.

rewt
03-12-06, 12:43 AM
CRT pwnz lol

Smokey
03-12-06, 12:53 AM
Yea, I want a widescreen too... My NEC FE2111SB is still beautiful though.

I know I know, I did see someone on this forum with a widescreen crt, but I couldnt find here in France, I wondering how much that would cost :) The I wouldnt have to worry about any of the problems lcds may have with games.

GamerGuyX
03-12-06, 01:51 AM
I have yet to see ANY monitor (whether it be LCD or CRT) that is better PQ-wise than the GDM-FW900.

evilchris
03-12-06, 03:07 AM
CRT > LCD

/thread

Capt. Picard
03-12-06, 03:13 AM
I don't really know how a CRT looks on the inside but I've looked through the vent holes and there seem to be lots of empty space inside.

Can't they make CRT that is at least say half the depth of a normal CRT. That would already be a huge inprovement and would satisfy most people's need for more space on a desk.

ew2x4
03-12-06, 03:14 AM
I needed a monitor for my workstation. In my price range ($450 or so), I could not find ANY CRT with half way decent quality. They just don't make them anymore. I acctually bought 2 crt's and I had to return them because sitting next to my 5 year old CRT, I just couldn't justify having to look at them for hours at a time. So I just got a Dell 20" and I'm very glad I did. I've pretty much determined that to get a decent CRT, you're gonna have to pay a hefty price. CRT's are better for blacks and for gaming. Everything else, LCD blows it out of the water. Just my opinion.

Muppet
03-12-06, 03:23 AM
I to wouldn't swap my 21in IBM for a LCD, for gaming there's nothing better ;)

SH64
03-12-06, 03:27 AM
CRT > LCD

/thread

Agreed! nothing beats a large CRT for gaming.

evilchris
03-12-06, 03:30 AM
Agreed! nothing beats a large CRT for gaming.
or HDTV, or pretty much anything. LCD is a **** technology and will not last. OLED and SED will be the mainstay's in a few years. LCD should stay in phones and small 1 -2" displays where it belongs.

evilchris
03-12-06, 03:33 AM
Sometimes I think people think of their old 15" Shamrock when they think of CRT's. They never used a good old Sony F500 or NEC 2141. If you use one of those monitors every LCD is crap, including the 24 and 30" Dells.

smallSHEEP
03-12-06, 04:52 AM
Agreed, my 21" CRT makes my friends 24" Dell widescreen look like crap in games. Really is bloody awful. I'll upgrade when it really is an upgrade, not a downgrade.

Having said that if I didn't play games I'd love an LCD. (nana2)

PeterJensen
03-12-06, 05:04 AM
ehhh my new Samsung 960BF TFT makes my games look allot better in native 1280*1024 res. Allot better then on my 19" CRT. Colours are better and more bright.

Tygerwoody
03-12-06, 05:35 AM
CRT > LCD

/thread
LMAO... i knew this would happen....

Nutty
03-12-06, 06:49 AM
For gaming, resolution selection and high refresh rates make CRT's ace yeah. However I spend far more time reading text and doing other things, and LCD's are 10x better and sharper and easier on the eyes for that.

Nutty
03-12-06, 06:51 AM
Agreed, my 21" CRT makes my friends 24" Dell widescreen look like crap in games. Really is bloody awful. I'll upgrade when it really is an upgrade, not a downgrade.

Having said that if I didn't play games I'd love an LCD. (nana2)

The 24" Dells aren't really designed for gaming tho. 16ms g2g, using old IPS technology. Try looking at the new AS-IPS panels.. way better for gaming.

Fighting Spirit
03-12-06, 07:40 AM
I know that Sony used to have a realy nice 24 widescreen CRT but I cant find it annyware so the fuc.. obviously dont make them annymore..
to bad i dont bought it then couse now i have to settle for the Nec 20WGX2 LCD!

So if you want the probably best LCD around for gaming get that one!

Review here
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_20wgx2.htm

Nutty
03-12-06, 07:41 AM
I know that Sony used to have a realy nice 24 widescreen CRT but I cant find it annyware so the fuc.. obviously dont make them annymore..
to bad i dont bought it then couse now i have to settle for the Nec 20WGX2 LCD!

So if you want the probably best LCD around for gaming get that one!

Review here
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_20wgx2.htm

Damn straight! I got one as well.. it rocks! :)

SlamDunk
03-12-06, 07:49 AM
I have always shunned LCDs simply because the picture just does not look great to me. I don't think I'll never buy a LCD, unless there comes a revolution of some sort in the LCD tech that can yield good priced quality screens.