PDA

View Full Version : Old system, sound cutting out

CaptNKILL
03-12-06, 04:03 AM
Ok, Im getting another old Windows 98\DOS machine running and Im having a problem. I have an ISA Soundblaster 16 that works fine (its been tested in other machines) but since setting up this computer the sound cuts out half way through a wav file, or during music it will play a half a second of sound, then silence, then half a second of sound, then silence.

I *know* Ive seen this problem before but I cant for the life of me remember how to fix it.

The system is running a K6-2 500Mhz, DFI motherboard with Via chipset (dont know much more than that right now), 128Mb SDRAM, Rendition Verite 1000 PCI video, Windows 98SE, DirectX 6.1 and the card in question is one of the original full size Sound Blaster 16 ISA sound cards. I normally have ZERO problems with these cards, they are usually extremely reliable, but I cant figure this problem out.

There arent really any other drivers out there other than the ones installed by windows because those work 99% of the time. I dont get any IRQ\DMA conflicts... Im a bit stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

CaptNKILL
03-12-06, 12:02 PM
Im not having any luck here... tried lowering sound acceleration, tried putting the sound card in the other ISA slot, tried putting the video card in another PCI slot, tried some weird driver I found online. No change at all.

I found a few more drivers online that Im going to try but I really dont think its a driver problem at this point. My guess is that its some sort of resource conflict that windows isnt reporting. I know nothing about fixing this sort of problem though.

Any old-school techies know how to solve problems like this?

CaptNKILL
03-12-06, 12:18 PM
W00t!

I actually got it :D

One of the other drivers I downloaded fixed it right up.

Post count +3 :wonder: