PDA

View Full Version : GRAW (PC) - Mini Dev chat

agentkay
03-12-06, 05:36 PM
Bo (GRIN CEO) took some time this Sunday evening and posted interesting information and answers on GR.net. So, here is the mini forum dev-chat, I made all dev answers bold.

------

Poita: If GRIN, RSE or UBI give out a general statement that GRIN GRAW is its own game that doesn't at all mean there won't be simiar or even same features. Will GRIN GRAW have a roll when prone? yes. Does GRAW 360 have a roll when prone? yes. Oh but i thought all they had in common were a few sounds and a story???? Of course there will be hundreds of features in common. So don't be so naive when reading such generalised statments.

Did Bo specifically address the 'floating scope' circle yet? No! Therefore i don't assume some general mission statement about the game covers that specific issue. Hence my question.

Bo: We don't have a roll left and right and... no hitech sights.

------

Bo: No handsignals - you are in FPS so we removed them as it obstructed the view a lot (you give loads of orders all the time to keep up tactics).

Yes it is quite known that we have a cross com on the PC. It handles the quick orders for the team (you can also order them around with shortkeys and the tactical map for some more in depth planningn and advanced moves)

As for looks - we got our own PC look on the cross com (2 layers, tactical and live-action)

Smith: I understand and thank you for the answer Bo, but doesn't that take a bit away from the body awareness feature? I mean, as far as I remember, when I was issuing orders to my squad at the military, I saw my arm all the time. What's getting me a bit confused is if you throw a grenade you'll also see your arm - wouldn't that obstruct the view as much as if you're issuing orders via a handsignal and doesn't both of that add a lot to the atmosphere since GRAW is trying to give the player the feeling of really being inside the body of a soldier (with all the Pro's and Contra's)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not nagging but simply pointing out a potential logic issue here. I mean a simple toggle function as explained in my previous post could do the trick and the player would be able to decide if he want's to use this option or not!

Bo: Might have been unclear. We tried it and it got a bit annoying as you order your team around a lot. It got to a point where we saw the arm flying every time you issue a move order and you do this all the time if you are a good leader. So we decided to remove that for ease of view.

------
Joseph: Did u noticed that on movie uploaded by Moonwalker on console forum. Cars ( even bus ) explode after being shot at with a rifle ( i think it was less than 20 bullets). Another movie shows a bus poping like popcorn after fragmentation grenade explodes nearby. I think it is extremly unrealistic, i hate this and i realy hope that i would be different on PC.

Bo: There is not cars exploding from bullets in the PC version.
Car + rounds - demolish in steps - make holes, smash windows, swing door open, deflate tire, kill cooler, set off alarm - this makes a more interresting OR less good cover depending on shape/position of car

Car + Grenades = Explosion if hit fueltank or total demolishin if not hit fueltank (flip can happen if hit from below or in the right angle) Car burns and smokes.

Trucks, Panards etc work like this aswell - but they are usually in motion when it happens. :)

Deleyt: all THAT on one dynamic object? That's really impressive!
I don't recall ANY game having this flexibility build into it's damage-system.

Bo: Yeah it gets interresting when you hit a parking lot :)

------

GR4 Requests and ideas.

Bo: -Why wait for GR4?

1. MULTIPLE FIRE TEAMS.

This is something I especially miss from GR1.

Bo: -Got it in MP, and in SP you have individual orders to split your group as you want.

2. More Open Maps 600x600 to 800x800.
Some sections should be on rails for cinematic reasons, but I think that most of the map should be explorable as viable paths for attack.

Bo: -You got it, 600*600 is actually small.

3. SOUND DETECTION

Enemies should notice the sonic boom of a sniper rifle.

Bo: -You got it.

4. DESTROYABLE LIGHTS

The dark is a good friend of mine.

Bo: -Friend of GRAW too....destroyable realtime lights on every level in SP and MP.

5. CUSTOM WEAPONS

These are SF guys, so they should get SF treatment when it comes to weapons. Bipods, grenade launchers, foregrips, red dots, ACOGs, holos (EOTECH!), all of which affect weight, stability, etc.

Bo: -You got it.

6. AREA-BASED DAMAGE

If a team mate gets shot in the leg, I want to see him limp. Same with the player character and enemies. If the legs get shot up enough, I want to see the characters fall to the ground and hold the leg. If an enemy gets shot in the arm, he should drop his weapon.

Bo: -Not animations on the FPS character but damage decetcion per bodypart with different damage and armour. Thus hitting the head will not be enough with small arms - you have to hit the face...and so on.

Silent-op: Does this mean that if your character is wounded, you will still be able to run and shoot as if you are not wounded? I am sure I'm misunderstanding this. I'm guessing that if character customization is possible in PC GR:AW, we will be able to equip our character without a helmet. If this is the case will the engine know that the character is not wearing armor on the head?

Bo: Nope stamina takes a hit when you are wounded. This makes your aim worse for sure. And stamina is affected by physical activity aswell - like throwing yourself to the ground, running etc. Helmets are detected as helmets

7. LIMITED REVIVALS

Team members that you let get shot up too much should not get back up after getting very limited field meds. Any team members that go critical should, after the area is cleared of enemies, get picked up by the chopper and EVACed, the player may need to carry the wounded to the EVAC point. If they are left on the field they will die. They should no longer be selectable to join you for missions. No one is left behind.

Bo: -NO revivals, no healing medics - this is WAR.

8. CIVILIANS

ROE should play an important factor in any environment. It would also add a lot of tension and importance to the mission.

Bo: -No Civilians as in the 360 - it is a general direction.

9. VOICE COMMAND

I want to be able to command my Ghosts while keeping my hands free.

Bo: -No voice commands - you got too many orders. You have shortcut keys though so you don't get bogged down by the control much.

10. MORE EXPLOSIVES

I really miss setting up claymores and detonation packs around corners and blowing the crap out of people that peek around.

Grenades shouldn't produce a firey explosion, it should be over pretty quick, with most of the visual effect from dust where the inital explosion took place and shrapnal impacting.

Bo: -Lots of shrapnel and dust - got you.

11. MORE SMOKE

Gun impacts on concrete, etc. should produce a cloud that obscures the vision somewhat, not too much however. Furthermore, rockets should have more of a trail on them and move faster.

Bo: -Yepp it is there.

12. SLIDES

In GRAW they seem a bit slippery, like you're sliding on a gym mat rather than tarmac. I'd be nice if they were a little more "rough."[/quote]

Bo: -It takes out of your stamina to land like that ... but it is sometimes needed :)

I know its a post quote from the "other side" but I pointed it out here as he requests tally to what PC players are wanting for GRAW on alot of areas stated here. Sorry to Moderators if this is deemed deletable or repeat or needs to be merged (Im getting more lost on the fine lines with threads in this area of late

Bo: -Over n out.

jAkUp
03-12-06, 06:03 PM
Sweet! :D Thanks man! Although, I was kinda hoping for the roll left and right, it was pretty cool in the 360 version... I suppose in first person, it would get a little dizzy though :D

agentkay
03-12-06, 06:28 PM
Sweet! :D Thanks man! Although, I was kinda hoping for the roll left and right, it was pretty cool in the 360 version... I suppose in first person, it would get a little dizzy though :D

It was in first person in Americas Army and it made me feel a little dizzy. I guess in 3rd person (which the PC version doesnīt have) its pretty cool though. :) Maybe the guys are running out of keys. lol

jAkUp
03-12-06, 07:04 PM
Yea, its nice in the 360 version, I bought it for my friend. Great game, although, its a little difficult for me since it has so many keys to be pressed on such a small gamepad, I suppose I'm just not used to it though :)

agentkay
03-12-06, 08:36 PM
This guy doesnīt sleep, it was like 3AM over there in Sweden and he sent another 2 responses:

(after I read Boīs Car-damage physics description in the first post)
agentkay: BTW, is that the standard damage model for software physics, or only available when we have an AGEIA PPU?

Bo: what I described was standard. With AGEIA - it is crazy :)

------

1. Will your ghosts go prone/crouch if you yourself prones or crouches?
2. I know you've said the animations look good, how good exactly? (an example would be appreciated) :D
3. Will the ghosts scan for targets while moving out? Ex. You command your ghosts to move down the street, and while they're doing that they are scanning around the buildings, rooftops, etc. for targets instead of just running down the street and they spot something 45 degrees to the left of them without even looking that way... It's not really anything I'd die for but it would be a cool little touch.

Bo:
1. They decide tha ton their own. Depending on cover, threat, detection and weapon.

2. Can't put words on that one - gotta wait and see.

3. They do all that AND move close to covers in case of attack, keep their posture right to reserv stamina and keep their stance right according to threat and cover ahead of them when moving.

agentkay
03-13-06, 04:15 PM
Goran: I'm very very curious how PC will run GRAW with and without AGEIA chip. Bo, plz, can you tell us (framerate example would be great) is there some improvement in framerate on same hardware with AGEIA's help. Thnx

Bo: AGEIA does not affect Framarate or vice versa. With a AGEIA PPU you simply get another level of special effects and physics added to the game.

Every effect we do is done in 3 versions, Medium, High and PPU version.

jAkUp
03-13-06, 04:29 PM
I would really like to see some examples of the PPU version compared to the others :D

CaptNKILL
03-13-06, 05:02 PM
I would really like to see some examples of the PPU version compared to the others :D
I agree.

Do we know what kind of slot the PPU is going to plug into? My new board will have plenty (PCI-E 1x, 4x, 16x, and PCI), Im just curious ;)

jAkUp
03-13-06, 05:26 PM
The initial cards will be PCI only.

sAnt@
03-14-06, 06:41 AM
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter PC

In The Box:

The Delivery of your game will include a Game PC DVD ROM and Booklet, with full instructions and Game Credits.
This Game Software is protected by Game Copyright System, [STARFORCE]

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28051&hl=

:thumbdwn:

killahsin
03-14-06, 06:46 AM
this interview made me want to actually buy this game. As of 5 minutes before reading this i could have cared less.

Peoples-Agent
03-14-06, 06:54 AM
Starforce, oh why dammit why!
Wonder if it will be x64 compatiable this time around?

Hang on, which is the fubar one in Splinter Cell and x64?....

agentkay
03-14-06, 07:05 AM
Ubisoft is on the Starforce train since around March last year, from that time on, almost EVERY UBI game had it. They are the ones who decide to use that protection, NOT the devs. UBI hired the devs to make the game, thats all.

Regarding, x64, apparently they had a version for months now that works under x64 but a publisher has to implement it into a patch otherwise it wonīt work. The first version of SCCT didnīt work with x64 but chances are 50/50 that the last patch included the SF x64 driver update as well.