PDA

View Full Version : ForceWare needed for widescreen LCD's?

MtViewGuy
03-12-06, 06:07 PM
Since I'm running an AGP graphics card with the GeForce FX 5200 chipset with both DVI-D and VGA connectors, I have this question: do I need to use the newer ForceWare drivers (77.77 or later) to support DVI-D connections to widescreen LCD's that run unusual native resolutions like 1280x768, 1440x900 or 1920x1200? :confused: I'm using the native Detonator 56.73 drivers that come with Windows XP Professional (SP2) right now on my 17" LCD monitor.

Nutty
03-12-06, 06:27 PM
56.73 ? Why are you using such old drivers ?
Any reason not to upgrade ?

MtViewGuy
03-13-06, 09:17 AM
56.73 ? Why are you using such old drivers ?
Any reason not to upgrade ?

A couple of reasons: 1) Detonator 56.73 is built into Windows XP Professional (SP2) itself and 2) I've heard of the complicated process of unloading Detonator 56.73 to install the current ForceWare 81.98 driver. :eek:

Nutty
03-13-06, 12:32 PM
Nah its not complicated.. just uninstall the drivers from the control panel if they're there, run driver cleaner and install the new ones.

Gentle
03-13-06, 12:56 PM
2) I've heard of the complicated process of unloading Detonator 56.73 to install the current ForceWare 81.98 driver.

What process is that?

Gentle

DJB
03-13-06, 01:28 PM
you dont need to run driver cleaner.
Obviously this person would like the fastest most pain free way to install new drivers, so lets not add steps.

Personally, with the exception of the odd very messed up beta (like maybe two versions in the last 5 years) I have never had to even uninstall drivers. New ones install over old ones just fine IMO.

Being a user of a Dell 2005FPW which runs native at 1680x1050, I can tell you that the real concern you should have is not drivers, but card. If you are only doing 2D then you may be ok, but there is no way that an FX5200 is going to have the power to push a 1680x1050 resolution in any relatively recent game. IMO the 6800u is barely sufficient, and is really not sufficient in the newest games like FEAR.

Before you dissapoint yourself by having to run that nice widescreeen monitor in a non-native resolution, thus creating a blurred image, consider the total upgrade path. I would get a new vid card first, and the monitor later unless you already have the monitor in hand.

$0.02

DJB

MtViewGuy
03-13-06, 07:04 PM
Before you dissapoint yourself by having to run that nice widescreeen monitor in a non-native resolution, thus creating a blurred image, consider the total upgrade path. I would get a new vid card first, and the monitor later unless you already have the monitor in hand.

Actually, I don't plan to get a widescreen LCD. I'm thinking of getting either the Samsung SyncMaster 940BF or Viewsonic VX924, which is definitely supported by the Detonator 56.73 driver in the 1280x1024 mode! :thumbsup: I don't plan to run any high-end games on my computer, either. :)

AnteP
03-14-06, 06:53 PM
Installing new drivers; complicated?

Click this link:
LINK (http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/81.98/81.98_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe)
Choose "Run".
Click "Next"/"OK" on all promts.
Wait for the computer to reboot.
(Set the resolution if needed.)

Presto.
There's no need to uninstall the old drivers and certainly no reason to run any kind of "driver cleaner". Only do that if the standard "upgrade" installation doesn't work.

There's no reason whatsoever to run the feature incomplete legacy driver that comes preloaded with XP.
Doing so is sort of like buying a sports car but never taking it above first gear. It simply makes no sense. :)

MtViewGuy
03-15-06, 09:38 AM
AnteP,

However, two issues bother me:

1. I've heard ForceWare 81.98 has serious issues with the on-screen cursor. :thumbdwn:

2. I read that nVidia requires you to disable any antivirus program to install the driver. That won't be easy since AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.1.385 can't be completely disabled. :(

AnteP
03-15-06, 11:44 AM
AnteP,

However, two issues bother me:

1. I've heard ForceWare 81.98 has serious issues with the on-screen cursor. :thumbdwn:

2. I read that nVidia requires you to disable any antivirus program to install the driver. That won't be easy since AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.1.385 can't be completely disabled. :(

1. Haven't heard of it, but if it worries you: install another driver. Like the latest official 84.20 beta. Works like a charm.

2. Just disable realtime virus checking. You don't have to unload the whole program. Personally I don't disable my virus protection, Trend Micro Internet Security Suite, when installing drivers (at all) and it has never affected me in any way. (Your luck may vary though.)

-=DVS=-
03-15-06, 07:10 PM
If your afraid do save/make windows restore point , if anything goes wrong revert ;)

MtViewGuy
04-19-06, 10:23 PM
By the way, I borrowed a Viewsonic VA1912wb to plug into my GeForce FX 5200 card and the Detonator 56.73 driver built into Windows XP properly detected the monitor (even through the standard VGA connection!) and set up the 1440x900 maximum resolution. Picture quality is good, though of course I wished the VA1912wb had better contrast, though.

SLippe
04-20-06, 12:10 AM
I never disable my AVG when installing anything. I've never had any problems either. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :)