PDA

View Full Version : StarForce Facilitates Piracy

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SH64
03-13-06, 06:28 AM
What a clever move heh ..
As if the StarForce copy protection isn't under enough controversy these days, the company decided to shamelessly promote the use of its anti-piracy application by .. linking to bittorent to download a pirated game. Recently Stardock's Galactic Civilizations II got attention because it doesn't use any protection, but sells increasingly well, apart from a serial code required to receive free updates & patches. Apparently StarForce feels threatened by this and, to seemingly prove copy protections are required, facilitates piracy by publicly spreading information where to download pirated games.
http://www.galciv2.com/temp/starfo2.jpg

http://worthplaying.com/print.php?sid=32590

Lfctony
03-13-06, 06:36 AM
Morons...

RAY16
03-13-06, 07:13 AM
Their marketing guys are geniuses.

agentkay
03-13-06, 07:21 AM
Doesn´t surprise me at all. These guys were a piracy release group and crackers before they converted to the good side. lol As much as I hate piracy, Starforce gets my avatars salute on this one.

. . . . . . . . . . ./´¯/)
. . . . . . . . . .,/¯ ./
. . . . . . . . . /. . /
. . . . . . /´¯`/'. .'/´¯¯`·¸
. . . . ./'/. . /. . /. . /¨/¯\
. . . . ('(. . ´. . ´. .¯´/'. .')
. . . . .\. . . . . . . . .'. ./
. . . . .'\'. .\. . . . . ._.·´
. . . . . . \. . . . . . . (
. . . . . . . \. . . . . . \

karkrash81
03-13-06, 08:02 AM
I heard the Galactic civilization II makers had something to say about this...can't access the link from work though.

Edge
03-13-06, 08:20 AM
Funny...I guess when you buy a Star Force game now, you're supporting piracy.

superklye
03-13-06, 08:38 AM
Wow...I hope they get sued so hard they bleed.

agentkay
03-13-06, 09:05 AM
Galactic civilization II publisher (Stardock) statement:

Digg is reporting that a website is implying that we want Galactic Civilizations II to be pirated. Absolutely not! Of course we DO NOT want our game to be pirated. We're a small company, every lost sale hurts us.

This got started because sales reports on Galactic Civilizations II have been much higher than anticipated. We've now outsold the first Galactic Civilizations in North America in the first 10 days. Last week we were apparently the #1 PC game at Walmart.

Naturally, some peple have taken the conclusion that because we don't have copy protection on our game, that we invite piracy. That is not the case, we simply think there are other ways to stop piracy than CD checks, strict DRM, etc.

What we do is provide a serial # that users can choose to enter when they install and use that unique serial # to download free and frequent updates.

Our license allows you to install the game onto as many machines that you own that you want as long as only one copy is being used at once. How many sales are lost because people want to have a game on their laptop and desktop and don't want to drag CDs around so choose not to buy the game?

Our company also makes utility software. We've been around a long time -- 14 years now. Our software gets pirated. We don't like it but piracy is a fact of life. The question isn't about eliminating it, it's about reducing it and trying to make sure that people who would buy your product buy it instead of steal it.

Our primary weapon to fight piracy is through rewarding customers through convenient, frequent, free updates.

If you make it easy for users to buy and make full use of your product or service legitimately then we believe that you'll gain more users from that convenience than you'll lose from piracy.

We realize that some people or companies might feel threatened at any evidence that implies that draconian DRM schemes or CD copy protection may not make that big of a difference in sales.

For example, we were quite disturbed to discover that the company that makes Starforce provided a working URL ( http://www.galciv2.com/temp/starfo2.jpg ) to a list of pirated GalCiv II torrents. I'm not sure whether what they did was illegal or not, but it's troubling nevertheless and was totally unnecessary.

All software is pirated, there's no way around it. We've been making software for over 10 years. We don't like our software being pirated. Like I said, every lost sales has an impact on us. But there are other ways to reduce it than through draconian copy protection systems.

Incidentally, the site that Starforce's forum admin linked to "prove" how much our software was being pirated we visited, followed the instructions on the site to get our game removed and the links were removed within a couple of hours. We'll continue to follow-up with them.

Q
03-13-06, 09:20 AM
Starforce is so arogant and out of touch.

Riptide
03-13-06, 09:24 AM
As soon as I removed X3 I used the tool and got starfarce off my machine. Good riddance.

BioHazZarD
03-13-06, 09:30 AM
Wow they sure know how to get even more popular now :)

SH64
03-13-06, 09:32 AM
Our license allows you to install the game onto as many machines that you own that you want as long as only one copy is being used at once. How many sales are lost because people want to have a game on their laptop and desktop and don't want to drag CDs around so choose not to buy the game?
& a :thumbsup: for Stardock GCII's team for allowing the use of one copy on multiple self-owned PCs.
i for one had many troubles with the kind of protection that wont allow you to play your copy in more than one machine since i have like 3 PCs & i could play the game in any of them.

Mr. Hunt
03-13-06, 09:41 AM
Man... the game interests me absolutely NONE... but I would LOVE to buy it just to support them for their lack of that crap... ESPECIALLY starforce... starforce has caused me so many freaking problems.

lognoronon
03-13-06, 10:36 AM
This gets me seriously angry. This is a great game and this small company doesn't deserve this. I have the game and I urge anyone who is in to round based strategy games to go out and buy it. It's the first game I have seen that's actualy better than Master of Orion.

jAkUp
03-13-06, 10:46 AM
& a :thumbsup: for Stardock GCII's team for allowing the use of one copy on multiple self-owned PCs.
i for one had many troubles with the kind of protection that wont allow you to play your copy in more than one machine since i have like 3 PCs & i could play the game in any of them.

Thats true, but you cannot do the same on console or other forms of gaming entertainment.

On most games, you would need to use a 3rd party crack, which is obviously not the way the most games were intended to be used.

As for Starforce, what they did was very wrong, and immature.

Riptide
03-13-06, 10:50 AM
Round based strategy... Haven't played one of those since Spaceward Ho! on the Macintosh. :)

GFX don't actually look half bad on this one.

CaptNKILL
03-13-06, 10:58 AM
Man... the game interests me absolutely NONE... but I would LOVE to buy it just to support them for their lack of that crap...
I totaly agree. They have an awesome idea, with the "rewards for buying the game" thing, rather than "punish everyone, whether they did anything wrong or not".

You have to admit though, this isnt the kind of game that thousands of piraters are going to run out and grab... its aimed at a certain group of people and those people probably want to support their games. I dont think this anti piracy method would be anywhere near as successfull if it was used in a mainstream first person shooter. But at least it rewards the people that buy the game.

OWA
03-13-06, 12:05 PM
Same here. Not really my type game but I think I'll buy Galactic Civilization II just to support their policy. Definitely the type of company I want to see succeed.

SH64
03-13-06, 12:24 PM
Now if they just change thier business to FPS gaming .. :p

|MaguS|
03-13-06, 12:27 PM
The game is awsome, I picked it up at Wals-Mart. Its what MOO3 should have been, and the AI is insanly ruthless.

Acid Rain
03-13-06, 12:33 PM
As soon as I removed X3 I used the tool and got starfarce off my machine. Good riddance.That's it. These guys have forced me into a permanent boycott regardless of my stance on piracy.
Starforce is schitte.

Hope I don't miss out on too many good games.

|MaguS|
03-13-06, 12:36 PM
I would laugh my ass off if Oblivion had starforce... so many people here would be pissed.

Acid Rain
03-13-06, 12:37 PM
I would laugh my ass off if Oblivion had starforce... so many people here would be pissed.It doesn't, and yes we would.Same here. Not really my type game but I think I'll buy Galactic Civilization II just to support their policy. Definitely the type of company I want to see succeed.I'm buying a few copies this evening.

Lfctony
03-13-06, 12:52 PM
http://www.glop.org/starforce/boycott-starforce-mario-userbar.jpg (http://www.glop.org/starforce/)

They aren't seeing any more money from me...

jAkUp
03-13-06, 01:09 PM
GRAW will have starforce.