PDA

View Full Version : Dameon Tools uses rootkits

Zelda_fan
03-13-06, 03:59 PM
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2006/02/using-rootkits-to-defeat-digital.html

looks like Dameon Tools and Alcohol (to very popular software methods of fooling copy protection) use rootkits. I for one and glad I no longer use either of those software, and to all you pirates who claim "freedom" based on starforces use of rootkits, shame on you, you are getting what you deserved.

In fact, I would wager a guess that a lot of game cracks use rootkits.

ynnek
03-13-06, 04:27 PM
http://www2.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/showthread.php?t=9581&page=4

There is NO cloaked software installed....
The "so-called" root kit is merely a registry entry which is not visible to windows.
The registry entry is required to make the actual driver for the virtual drive load, and if people would actually download the rootkit revealer from sysinternals, they would see that it is the dtscsi service registry value which is hidden from windows.
Nothing like a spyware app.
I can't stand naiveity. Don't believe everything you read, just because some moron blogged about it.
The only spyware installed is whenU which is uninstallable from the add/remove programs applet in the windows control panel.
It is also an optional component during installation. (Which is more than I can say for most ad-supported software vendors)
That hidden registry key is necessarily hidden.
DT Team have done this as a registry key which is detectable by software is the easiest way for copy protection vendors to blacklist daemon-tools.

I have looked at your posts GreyWolf, and all 6 that you have made so far are complaining about Daemon Tools.
It seems to me like you are merely disgruntled because you failed to take any notice of the dt installers setup routine, and blindy clicked next, next, next.
Here's hoping you have learned a lesson there.
Now go click on Control Panel.
Then click on Add/Remove Programs.
Then search the list of programs you see there for any instances of WhenU or Daemon Tools Search bar, and uninstall them for gods sake.
And stop your complaining. Just because you paid money for dt means nothing. The program is free anyway, so you had plenty of opportunity to evaluate it before paying your hard earned $15 (Less than one large pizza btw) for the right to complain in the forums.

Good luck buddy.
Cheers,
Amph.

Zelda_fan
03-13-06, 04:30 PM
lol the people at dameon tools sound a lot like the people at starforce trying to defend their product

ynnek
03-13-06, 04:33 PM
lol the people at dameon tools sound a lot like the people at starforce trying to defend their product

i'm on DT's side.. If you don't understand what it does, and are uncomfortable with it, simply uninstall it..

Zelda_fan
03-13-06, 04:35 PM
i'm on DT's side....

of course you are. It helps you get stuff for free. What a great deal.

ynnek
03-13-06, 04:37 PM

Yea, stuff I already paid for. :angel2:

CaptNKILL
03-13-06, 04:40 PM
:rolleyes:

Im sorry, but any time I see you (and a few others) post in a discussion like this I picture someone holding their hands over their ears saying "LALALALALALA IM NOT LISTENING, YOURE WRONG! LALALALALALA". Because any time someone posts something that you disagree with, you ignore any meaning in what they said and you use it as a chance to make a personal attack.

Im sorry, I just find it really irritating, even if Im on the same side of the discussion as you... :o

ynnek
03-13-06, 04:47 PM
Anyways, to make people happy, in the future release of DT, the Release Notes/agreement should just state, that it puts in a hidden reg key to load up the virtual driver service.. And the reason its hidden is so that it doesn't get easily disabled by popular antivirtual drive protection software.

Nutty
03-13-06, 07:15 PM
Seriously tho, who f'ing cares ?

If you want daemon tools or alcohol, fine. If you dont, fine.
Jeez.. next we'll be moaning cos it actually installs something!!!! Oh Noes!!!!! :rolleyes: