PDA

View Full Version : My plan to get Oblivion early

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zelda_fan
03-14-06, 01:30 AM
Ok guys here is my plan. We all know that Oblivion's official ship date is the 20th. However, we all know that all retailers get it a few days early for logistics reasons. I have preordered the collecter's edition from my local gamestop. Do you think if I walked in and told the clerk "here is a $20, can you hook me up with the game early" that he would go get it for me?

Grechie
03-14-06, 01:35 AM
i wouldnt think he would, as his job would be at stake?

Zelda_fan
03-14-06, 01:36 AM
i wouldnt think he would, as his job would be at stake?

that is why you talk to the manager

killahsin
03-14-06, 01:41 AM
well if you do get it early this way don't go posting about it online as you will get that poor boy fired.

|MaguS|
03-14-06, 01:41 AM
If the store manager knows his job and what is at stake he will clearly say no or tell you that they don't have it yet (lie). If a store releases a street dated item early they can recieve a fine and/or the associate can be terminated, even a manager (which I have seen when I worked at EB).

CaptNKILL
03-14-06, 01:42 AM
I preordered from the publisher... I did the same with Morrowind and I got it a day before everyone else. Im hoping the same happens this time :)

Edge
03-14-06, 01:49 AM
Isn't it illegal to sell (and possibly buy) the game before it's official release date?

evilchris
03-14-06, 01:51 AM
Isn't it illegal to sell (and possibly buy) the game before it's official release date?

No such law. Policy, sure.

|MaguS|
03-14-06, 01:51 AM
Well not under law but Publishers get really pissed, They will fine either the store or the entire company a pretty large sum of money if they know who did it. Sometimes to make it worse they fine the associate but thats really rare.

Zelda_fan
03-14-06, 01:55 AM
Well not under law but Publishers get really pissed, They will fine either the store or the entire company a pretty large sum of money if they know who did it. Sometimes to make it worse they fine the associate but thats really rare.

that is where the 20 comes in. It's a bribe. And yes, the store would get slapped with a huge fine if they put the game on the shelf early. But if a manager slips ONE collecter's edition under cover, no one is gonna know or care, and he is $20 richer.

GamerGuyX
03-14-06, 01:55 AM
If something like this actually worked I'd seriously be willing to give the guy a couple Benjamin's for his troubles.

Zelda_fan
03-14-06, 01:58 AM
If something like this actually worked I'd seriously be willing to give the guy a couple Benjamin's for his troubles.

benjamins = $100. I'm not going to give a guy 200 when 20 would do the trick. These guys make like $8 an hour, so $20 is a lot of money to them.

GamerGuyX
03-14-06, 02:01 AM
benjamins = $100. I'm not going to give a guy 200 when 20 would do the trick. These guys make like $8 an hour, so $20 is a lot of money to them.

I know benjamin = $100.

I'm just saying that is what I would offer him. I was just going by the whole "more money offered = more chance of success" theory.

EDIT: Oh and you spelled Oblivion wrong in the thread title...

Edge
03-14-06, 02:03 AM

See, I'm wondering how they can fine them if it isn't illegal. At most they could just threaten to not allow the store/chain to sell any more of their games if they didn't have any type of legal contract with them, but I don't see how they could fine an individual from that.

anticitizenzero
03-14-06, 02:03 AM
The only way to get the game early is a little thing i like to call usenet (pirate) and I do plan on buying it

|MaguS|
03-14-06, 02:09 AM
See, I'm wondering how they can fine them if it isn't illegal. At most they could just threaten to not allow the store/chain to sell any more of their games if they didn't have any type of legal contract with them, but I don't see how they could fine an individual from that.

Each Retailer signs an agreement with the publishers on things that must be met, Why do you think sometimes some games or displays are shown while others aren't? Publishers pay the retailers to advertise their product more.

As for $20 bribe, Managers make salary... they also make alot more then $8 an hour... atleast they did when I worked for them in the past.

CaptNKILL
03-14-06, 02:15 AM
The only way to get the game early is a little thing i like to call usenet (pirate) and I do plan on buying it
*hands anticitizenzero flame retardant suit*
:o

Zelda_fan
03-14-06, 02:33 AM
I know benjamin = $100.

I'm just saying that is what I would offer him. I was just going by the whole "more money offered = more chance of success" theory.

EDIT: Oh and you spelled Oblivion wrong in the thread title...

Rule 1 of negociation. Never start out with your highest bid. Obviously $20 probably isn't going to close the deal, but it will get their attention. The key is to say a number that will at least keep their intrest. If someone offered my $5 that would be a slap in the face and I'd tell them to get the hell out of my store, but $20 would keep make me at least consider it. Then I'd up the bid a little until I setteled. I imagine it would probably close at $30-$40.

Oh and I know I spelled oblivion wrong, I just shortened the title so it would all fit on the nvnews forum front page.

killahsin
03-14-06, 02:35 AM
I can't believe we have a thread going on how to successfully bribe a game retailer to get oblivion a few days early haha. Only on nvnews, stay tuned.

Zelda_fan
03-14-06, 02:36 AM
As for $20 bribe, Managers make salary... they also make alot more then $8 an hour... atleast they did when I worked for them in the past.

A starting retail manager makes around 30,000 a year. That's around $20 an hour, but a lot of that get's eaten up in taxes. In a city like New York, $30,000 isn't a lot to live off of, and an extra $40 might let him take his girl out to Friday's instead of McDonalds or Burger King. Easy money.

but $100 is way to high. If I was making 8/hr (the cashiers and sales assistants make that I belive) and you offered me $100 I would give you the game and shine your ass on the way out the door.

|MaguS|
03-14-06, 02:41 AM
Salary is dependent on where you live aswell, Im sure they make more then 30K a year in NY considering my sister as a normal associate was making over that when she lived in NY.

GamerGuyX
03-14-06, 02:43 AM
Rule 1 of negociation. Never start out with your highest bid. Obviously $20 probably isn't going to close the deal, but it will get their attention. The key is to say a number that will at least keep their intrest. If someone offered my $5 that would be a slap in the face and I'd tell them to get the hell out of my store, but $20 would keep make me at least consider it. Then I'd up the bid a little until I setteled. I imagine it would probably close at $30-$40.

Who are you to speak for me?

I never said that was my highest bid. Besides, "a couple of Benjamins" is not an exact amount. You would be surprised how much I'd be willing to part to play Oblivion even 5 minutes early.

Oh and I know I spelled oblivion wrong, I just shortened the title so it would all fit on the nvnews forum front page.

Yeah and I bet that was the same intention you had for spelling negotiation wrong to right? ;)

but $100 is way to high. If I was making 8/hr (the cashiers and sales assistants make that I belive) and you offered me $100 I would give you the game and shine your ass on the way out the door.

Exactly.

|MaguS|
03-14-06, 02:51 AM
BTW Even if they didn't tell anyone that they sold you the game early the system records the associate who sold it, to which customer (since they would have to remove the order from you list of preorders) and the invintory would affected aswell.

So if it was me, $100 is not worth me losing my job even if I was making $8 an hour...

evilchris
03-14-06, 02:57 AM
$30k annual isn't even CLOSE to $20/hr. Nice math.

jAkUp
03-14-06, 03:01 AM
30K a year is like $10 an hour full time I think.