PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte K8N-Sli

Superfly
03-14-06, 05:18 PM
Anyone here got this board? The reviews are great but personnal experience is always good too.

Thanks.

nutball
03-15-06, 03:46 AM
Curiously enough I just two days ago built a system for a mate of mine based on this board, and it's top of the list for my rebuild next month (features I like: passive chipset cooler and it allows for undervolting).

The jury is still out on the build of my mates PC, it's still bedding down. It was an upgrade from NF2 to NF4 underneath Windows, so it took a while to persuade the drivers of the change (Driver Cleaner to the rescue!).

He's having problems with WoW, which may be related to his new graphics card (7900GT), though other games run just fine it seems. He's running some (CPU, memory, graphics) stress tests to narrow down whether this is a generic issue or just WoW being teh sux0r.

Superfly
03-15-06, 04:07 AM
I would get him to re-install the OS if he's swapped out the MoBo.

Glad to hear you liked it though, the reviews certainly did!!

thanks for the feedback - let me know how your friend gets on.

Peoples-Agent
03-15-06, 08:20 AM
I have this board, but don't even think about overclocking.
It's had a problem since it came out where you can't get over an FSB of 220 before it refuses to boot.

If you don't intend on overclocking I cannot fault it for a second, I haven't had a single problem with this board as of yet
and it runs smooth as anything.

For the price I am/was shocked at how efficient it runs and works.

Peoples-Agent
03-15-06, 08:22 AM
See what I mean about the OC issue here...

http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/70797-gigabyte-ga-k8n-sli-3000-overclocking-5.html

Superfly
03-15-06, 08:53 AM
not fussed on the O/C - I just want a stable and fast PCIe baord - thanks for the info.

Peoples-Agent
03-15-06, 10:14 AM
Good choice.

Btw, you will also want to see this link ....

http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=1928

Get the F7 bios.

Doesn't really add or do much, but it shows a slight bugfix but not one I have ever noticed or seen.

And if your intending on using the onboard audio, use the Realtek drivers not the crabby nVidia ones
that come on the disk. Same goes for the 6.70 nForce 4 drivers ....that's a must.

Superfly
03-17-06, 08:07 AM
Hi there,

I got the F7 bios, thanks - do I need to clear the CMOS after flashing with this board??, I ask because the boot screen reports version F7 but CPU-Z shows the original F2 version??

Also it seems to be auto overclocking itself to 205FSB - system is running stable but I would like to run pure stock for now. I have the FSB set to 200 in the bios??

thanks.

john19055
03-18-06, 09:51 PM
I have the Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI and I have had real good luck with it and it overclocks great at least the one I have does,I have had the FSB to 260 1-1 and 290 when I was running it with a divider of 166.I bought the MSI Diamond Plus SLI, but I could'nt get it to overclock worth a darn,as soon as I would raise my FSB to 220 it would not boot up just a black screen and I would have to reset the CMOS evertime ,but with my Gigabyte K8N pro-SLI overclocking was no problem.It does auto overclock my two 7800GT a little bit even when set to auto but this is'nt a problem for me ,but it could be if the cards would'nt overclock that much ,but it is just 5mhz on the core and 10mhz on the memory.

Peoples-Agent
03-23-06, 11:46 AM
Hi there,

I got the F7 bios, thanks - do I need to clear the CMOS after flashing with this board??, I ask because the boot screen reports version F7 but CPU-Z shows the original F2 version??

Also it seems to be auto overclocking itself to 205FSB - system is running stable but I would like to run pure stock for now. I have the FSB set to 200 in the bios??

thanks.

Yeah, thats about right... you get FSB readings slightly off more often than not, apparently the F2 bios showing in CPU-Z is something to do with it having a similar recognition coding ... I emailed Gigabyte about that awhile back.

I've flashed this board all the way from F2 upto F7 ...never had to clear CMOS once. It reverts back to stock settings by itself.

In the Bios you can get to further settings by holding CTRL-F1 as I recall ....gives you access to more tweaking settings.

Infact I haven't owned a board in years that got the FSB reading spot on.

How's it running apart from that? ....all sweet and stable?

Shamrock
03-23-06, 10:25 PM
the only reason I didnt go with this board, is, it only has 2 PCI slots...I needed more...I went with EPoX, it at least has 3 (I wanted 5!)

Peoples-Agent
03-24-06, 11:42 AM
Yeah, that is one downer of it... but then I don't use PCI slots often.

orphenshadow
03-25-06, 12:56 PM
I just purchased this board, Its really nice, I like it so far, however, i am planning on purchasing another 7900GT from BFG in the near future, and i got to looking atd the sli ports, share the 16x bandwith, I have been told that there are better mobo's that give full 16x to each pci-e slot, not splitting it for 8x each, Is this true, also is this going to actually make a real world difference with today's cards?

dandano
03-25-06, 09:49 PM
From what I've heard, it really doesn't make any difference in real world performance. But read the reviews and make your own determination.

tagman
03-26-06, 02:41 AM
Does this board require a 24 pin power lead?

superklye
03-26-06, 02:43 AM
I've got the board and it's been AMAZING. I had some OCing issues at first, but putting the HTT at 3x fixed all of those.

I've got my Venice running at 264x9 and the RAM is at 216.5 (433) with no problems. I've heard of people having OCing issues because the passively-cooled Northbridge overheats when pushing it, but I'm running this and have had NO problems...and that's with two mini-heaters (6800GTs) in there, too.

Great, great board. :)

nutball
04-03-06, 03:15 AM
The jury is still out on the build of my mates PC, it's still bedding down. It was an upgrade from NF2 to NF4 underneath Windows, so it took a while to persuade the drivers of the change (Driver Cleaner to the rescue!).

He's having problems with WoW, which may be related to his new graphics card (7900GT), though other games run just fine it seems. He's running some (CPU, memory, graphics) stress tests to narrow down whether this is a generic issue or just WoW being teh sux0r.

Just thought I'd update this thread for the record -- the problem with WoW was the memory. I'd used 4x512MB DIMMs, replacing them with 2x1GB WoW works fine. Bizarre. I wonder whether it's some weird memory timing issue, though all the memory stress tests he ran passed A-OK.

Superfly
04-03-06, 03:39 AM
So far this MoBo is working out great, seems very stable and I love having SLi as an upgrade option.

the NF4 chipset seems awesome in terms of features and performance, my only grip os that the board will NOT overclock even by 10% :-(

Guess I'll have to buy a faster CPU for vista anyways.

Superfly
04-03-06, 10:36 AM
I've read that using an HTT of 1x will help loads with the O/C - gonna try tonight.

Peoples-Agent
04-03-06, 11:14 AM
Glad you like the board bud, in all fairness for a "budget" solution it beats my previous too boards that cost me over 100.

Superfly
04-03-06, 11:17 AM
oh yeh, its a great board for the price - full NF4 SLi chipset with all the features.

I have nothing to complain about, I just want more!!! - lol