PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion question to forum mods

Pages : [1] 2

killahsin
03-14-06, 09:46 PM
Considering the nature of oblivion and the fact it will have a modding community around it: do you think we should have an oblivion sub forum here? I'm pretty sure if recent news/posts are any hint there is going to be alot of info leaks leading up to the release of oblivion. As well as a massive modding community that develops around it. Not sure if you guys are interested in expanding the sub forum like this. but I'm pretty sure an oblivion forum is going to be more active than the other subs we have now hehe. =)

sorry for the thread i ddi not know whom to ask this question to in a PM. You can delete if you wish or leave for subject discussion by the other members. (pirate) (nana2)

Peoples-Agent
03-15-06, 02:18 AM
Yeah, I second that.
Sick to death of seeing every other thread being about this bloody game. LOL
More constructive to keep them all under the same one, makes it easier for people to search through and what not... will become essential once all the technical gripes pop up, as they always do.

CaptNKILL
03-15-06, 03:34 AM
I agree as well. It was fun making plugins for Morrowind, but there really wasnt anywhere to share them and talk about them. The official forums were way overcrowded, so I never even bothered posting any there.

There seem to be enough people interested in the game here to have a forum dedicated to it. Heh, if Doom 3 and Quake 4 have their own forum (which is practically dead :p), Oblivion deffinitely should.

We should make this a poll :)

+1 vote :p

SH64
03-15-06, 03:44 AM
Another vote for Oblivion sub-forum! :thumbsup:

agentkay
03-15-06, 03:53 AM
Here is another vote for the subforum. We could collect the best mods in a sticky too.

nutcrackr
03-15-06, 03:58 AM
Yep would be a good idea.

Mr Fujisawa
03-15-06, 05:28 AM
Agreed

|MaguS|
03-15-06, 06:22 AM
I think people need to stop making so many dam threads and stick to one Fing thread....

CaptNKILL
03-15-06, 08:46 AM
I think people need to stop making so many dam threads and stick to one Fing thread....
How long do you think itl be before someone posts a "too many Oblivion threads?" thread :p

Ninjaman09
03-15-06, 08:56 AM
Great idea.

Unfortunately, when Oblivion comes out, between it and WoW I won't be doing ANYTHING else in my free time.

Tygerwoody
03-15-06, 09:05 AM
problem with that is noone wants to post in a thread that is over 15 pages long.... which is what all these Oblivion threads are turning into.

I think subforum is a good idea as well... well kinda.. However, just as a reminder. Battlefield 2 forum talk was WAY WAY WAY worse than oblivion. It never needed one. Eventually the threads died down. Oblivion will probably do the same.

The reason HL2 and Quake have their own thread is basically because of the engine they use. Its basically the "source engine" forum and the "doom 3 engine" forum. Most all games that use those engines are in those forums.

agentkay
03-15-06, 09:44 AM
Then how about converting the MMORPG subforum into a general RPG forum with a MMOORPG sub-forum. Or is that too much? Im just thinking out loud.

CaptNKILL
03-15-06, 09:44 AM
problem with that is noone wants to post in a thread that is over 15 pages long.... which is what all these Oblivion threads are turning into.

I think subforum is a good idea as well... well kinda.. However, just as a reminder. Battlefield 2 forum talk was WAY WAY WAY worse than oblivion. It never needed one. Eventually the threads died down. Oblivion will probably do the same.

The reason HL2 and Quake have their own thread is basically because of the engine they use. Its basically the "source engine" forum and the "doom 3 engine" forum. Most all games that use those engines are in those forums.
Theres only one HL2 engine game and there are only 2 Doom 3 engine games :p

Once the game comes out there will deffinitely be less flame wars. And if the majority of the threads are dedicated to Oblivion mods and helping with problems then itl be pretty much just PC discussion. With everyone modding and doing quests and playing with the AI and physics I think there will be plenty to talk about in an Oblivion forum.

Tygerwoody
03-15-06, 10:07 AM
Theres only one HL2 engine game and there are only 2 Doom 3 engine games :p

Once the game comes out there will deffinitely be less flame wars. And if the majority of the threads are dedicated to Oblivion mods and helping with problems then itl be pretty much just PC discussion. With everyone modding and doing quests and playing with the AI and physics I think there will be plenty to talk about in an Oblivion forum.
I'm sure the mods will make the right decision.

As a forum admin myself, I have to say that it is generally best to have the least amount of forum sections possible. You also can't be adding and removing forums whenever you feel like it. It just looks bad. I have people all the time asking me to add a forum for a specific game or topic. I never do. Reason being is I know that within 6 months to a Year I will need to remove the forum. As much as I love Oblivion, within a few months after release you won't be seeing much oblivion threads at all. The "newness" will wear off. However, Counterstrike will be played til the end of time(no matter how much i hate that game). Same goes to Quake/Doom engine games. They will ALWAYS be played by a large amount of people. Oblivion won't. I know this. The forum mods here know this. Thats why I doubt we will see an Oblivion section

CaptNKILL
03-15-06, 10:33 AM
Reason being is I know that within 6 months to a Year I will need to remove the forum. As much as I love Oblivion, within a few months after release you won't be seeing much oblivion threads at all. The "newness" will wear off. However, Counterstrike will be played til the end of time(no matter how much i hate that game). Same goes to Quake/Doom engine games. They will ALWAYS be played by a large amount of people. Oblivion won't. I know this. The forum mods here know this. Thats why I doubt we will see an Oblivion section
Eh, I dont know. It hasnt been that long since Quake 4 was released and its already totaly dead. Theres probably less than a dozen people playing it online at any given time. I dont think multiplayer = long lasting. Lots of people still play Morrowind, and I (as well as a few others) still even play Daggerfall. The elder scrolls community is huuuge.

I'll moderate the Oblivion forum if we end up needing a moderator... :lol:(pirate) :p

Tygerwoody
03-15-06, 10:47 AM
Eh, I dont know. It hasnt been that long since Quake 4 was released and its already totaly dead. Theres probably less than a dozen people playing it online at any given time. I dont think multiplayer = long lasting. Lots of people still play Morrowind, and I (as well as a few others) still even play Daggerfall. The elder scrolls community is huuuge.

I'll moderate the Oblivion forum if we end up needing a moderator... :lol:(pirate) :p
When Quake Wars comes out it will be filled again... Quake 4 multiplayer was a flop. I honestly believe it would have been alot better if they would have included bots in the game. I said this months before the release. All I got in response was "quit your whining, Quake 4 will do fine without bots. I didn't like the bots anyway. Besides I'm sure someone will add a mod for bots". How long has Quake 4 been out? I don't see any good bots out there yet. Quake 4 multiplayer is dead, just like I said it would be.

Anyway that was offtopic. My point is that while Quake 4 was a flop, I don't think Quake Wars will be(as long as they include bots). Which would mean we still need the Doom/Quake forum section. :)

CaptNKILL
03-15-06, 11:06 AM
When Quake Wars comes out it will be filled again... Quake 4 multiplayer was a flop. I honestly believe it would have been alot better if they would have included bots in the game. I said this months before the release. All I got in response was "quit your whining, Quake 4 will do fine without bots. I didn't like the bots anyway. Besides I'm sure someone will add a mod for bots". How long has Quake 4 been out? I don't see any good bots out there yet. Quake 4 multiplayer is dead, just like I said it would be.

Anyway that was offtopic. My point is that while Quake 4 was a flop, I don't think Quake Wars will be(as long as they include bots). Which would mean we still need the Doom/Quake forum section. :)
Heh, I agree completely. Quake Wars is going to be an awesome game. And it was deffinitely a very bad idea to not include bots in Q4. The game played alright without too much lag, but the entire multiplayer component was broken most of the time. Most servers wouldnt even load, and some times itd even crash the game.

If we can have a forum for a multiplayer game that wont be out for a few months though, it doesnt seem like a bad idea to have a forum for a popular single player game that will be modded like crazy for years to come.

Either way, itl be alright... but itd be a lot of fun to be able to make threads about different aspects of the game and different plugins without having people complain about too many Oblivion threads. I would go to the official forums but theres so many people there its not even worth posting. I posted a few times there over the past couple weeks and within 5 minutes my posts were on the second page. Kinda pointless to even post :p

Zelda_fan
03-15-06, 11:18 AM
I think Oblivion deserves it's own forum. There is more than enough community support for it.

Superfly
03-15-06, 11:29 AM

no bots in ET: QW, splash damage have already said so - why people want bots in a MP only game is beyond me.

Tork64
03-15-06, 11:33 AM
Good idea :)

CaptNKILL
03-15-06, 11:43 AM
no bots in ET: QW, splash damage have already said so - why people want bots in a MP only game is beyond me.
I play BF2 with bots some times if my internet is down. Its actually pretty fun and you dont have to worry about lag or being pwned into the ground by unbalanced teams. Its also much faster for testing graphics settings and system stability since you dont have to log on and then find a server. Its great for benchmarking too since its the same amount of players every time and they tend to take the same routes every round.

Quake 3 with bots was fun too. They were damn challenging on Nightmare.

killahsin
03-15-06, 11:50 AM
I would have to disagree morrowind has the largest modding community of any rpg or is in close running with nwn. Thats the only reason i think an oblivion forum would be good. Because then people can all discuss their tweaks the different mods etc. Like i said it doesn't matter to me. It's just going to be brutal on the thread count in the gaming section i think, because everyone here is going to be playing this game, pc gamer and console gamer alike. So there is going to be alot of discussion. But in the end it doesn't matter to me. i just kinda wanted to see what people thought =)

Tygerwoody
03-15-06, 11:51 AM
I play BF2 with bots some times if my internet is down. Its actually pretty fun and you dont have to worry about lag or being pwned into the ground by unbalanced teams. Its also much faster for testing graphics settings and system stability since you dont have to log on and then find a server. Its great for benchmarking too since its the same amount of players every time and they tend to take the same routes every round.

Quake 3 with bots was fun too. They were damn challenging on Nightmare.
I was going to state why bots are important to a multiplayer game.... but you did it for me. ;)

FraGTastiK
03-15-06, 11:51 AM
I think forum ADMINS decide about whether to add new sections etc. not forum Mods although they prolly use Mods' opinions on the matter but admins make the final decision imo.Admins also moderate forums so basically they are the superpowers around here.:D

Acid Rain
03-15-06, 11:54 AM
I think people need to stop making so many dam threads and stick to one Fing thread....Is it really that difficult to discern the difference between, at most (including this one), 4 topics based on the same base subject? It might not be for you, but this game is very exciting to the people who aren't MMO grinders, so we like to talk about it. Thus, several threads have sprung up. Pretty easy to deal with, if you ask me.

Still, though, 1 vote for Oblivion sub-forum. The game deserves this, certainly. Maybe after it is in our hands, when everyone is actually playing, and those that aren't are crying in the basement eating crow.