PDA

View Full Version : PSP / PS3 ownage?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Bad_Boy
03-15-06, 02:15 AM
Playstation Briefing in Tokyo gave some juicies...
from what im hearing.

PSP:
- playstation 1 emulator, downloadable games <---holy **** nuts
- videophone in autumn <----holy **** nuts
- MinGol GPS
- Eyetoy (sept 06)
- Flash support with next update
- Mem.Stick boot support in autumn
- 199 price drop soon

PS3:
- WORLD WIDE LAUNCH NOVEMBER!
Once release, Sony will unleash one million units per month with a total of six million units in 2006 alone. Production numbers are higher for PS1 and PS2 in their initial years.^holy **** nuts
- Developers are told that they should develop games with HDD in mind
- All software will be released on the BD format for the purpose of preventing piracy
- The spec of the PS3 development tool has been fixed today.
- PS3 to feature next-gen HDMI from the get-go (1.3 HDMI)
- Not only will ps3 be 100% backwards compatible, it will display all games at high definition resolutions similar to Xbox360
- The network for PS3 is free of charge for the basic service (available at launch)
- 10.000.000 BD-ROMS manufacturing capability per month @ cost around same as 2-layer DVD

As part of the PlayStation Business Brief today in Tokyo, Ken Kutaragi confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will require the hard drive peripheral. In total, it will be 60GB big, be completely upgradeable, and support Linux OS. Additionally, the peripheral will act as a home server and allow users to store various forms of media to be pulled up elsewhere.
^^HARD DRIVE IS STANDARD, meaning out of the box
-Online: the system will feature community tools including lobby matching and voice chat, commerce features that includes bootable software via the hard drive.

Mr_LoL
03-15-06, 02:22 AM
Do you have a link or something? If they do manage to pull of a worldwide launch, that will be impressive but there will be shortages. Better start saving then (nana2)

Bad_Boy
03-15-06, 02:28 AM
IGN is reporting some of the stuff, other stuff im reading off forums. I'll grab a link or two for you.
edit:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696054p1.html

A delay till november is all worth it in my opinion. this is great news. we all suspected NA wouldnt get it till later in 06 so this isnt far from the truth, only thing that didnt go as many thought is launching in japan in spring. but ill take it, psp is getting some great features, ps3 is finally getting some news.

they still havent talked about the sony online yet, they said they will clear it up in the briefing.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20060315/scei1.htm
The launch is global, PS3 will launch in Japan, Asia, US, Canada, and EU all at once <---can you say impressive?

http://japan.cnet.com/news/tech/story/0,2000047674,20098591,00.htm
60GB standard linux hd? someone translate please

edit:
ill keep updating the orginal post

GamerGuyX
03-15-06, 02:31 AM
If even half of this stuff becomes true I'll be in heaven!

LiquidX
03-15-06, 02:34 AM
It all sounds great. All the die hards are going to have a hissy fit though. If it does come with the HDD as a standard I think we will have a winner and its great they will be producing millions of units a month unlike MS that can barely keep up with a few thousand. Time will tell but I cant wait to hear and see more.

Mr_LoL
03-15-06, 02:37 AM
"It is my aim," Kutaragi said, "To clear things up about the PlayStation 3 today. The PS2, the PS3, the network, and Future Cell Network, this will all be addressed."

PSP News:

"Surveys show that the majority of PSP users by far use it at home"

"Female PSP users are few, with the core of the user base being between 14-20 years of age. This has been problematic

The PSP will be able to be used as a videophone this fall.

Macromedia Flash will be supported with the next update

Memory stick boot(ing) will be supported come fall

PSP software will be sold through Net download system

Official PSOne emulator for PSP

PS2 News:

Following his opening statements, Kutaragi also announced that more than 100 million PS2 systems have shipped worldwide in addition to more than 1 billion copies of 6700 different titles.

PS3 News:

PS3 to feature next-gen HDMI from the get-go

simultaneous worldwide launch Early Nov. release!!!!!!

Several million units will be produced on a monthly basis up until launch
(=greater number than the PS2 was produced in)

Full BD support

(*also, read the "million units produced per month" as = will establish a system capable of producing several million units per month up until launch)

"Develop software for the platform [PS3] with the assumption that a hard drive will be present"

All software will be released on the BD format for the purpose of preventing piracy

*HD "present" as in "available" -- not sure if it will be standard or not (add-on?)

Development tool specs have been finalized today

Up next is some talk about network stuff (PS3 stuff is over)

Network News:
Basic online service will be free; will begin same time as PS3 release date[/b][/i]
Taken from the ps3 land forums.

Bad_Boy
03-15-06, 02:42 AM
Taken from the ps3 land forums.
you da man! :D

GamerGuyX
03-15-06, 02:51 AM
you da man! :D

Well that confirms it. I'm in heaven. http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/drool2.gif

Oh and can anybody refresh my memory on what "Memory stick boot(ing)" is?

Bad_Boy
03-15-06, 02:53 AM
Well that confirms it. I'm in heaven. http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/drool2.gif

Oh and can anybody refresh my memory on what "Memory stick boot(ing)" is?
Not sure, but im sure they wont support piracy. So im guessing its a form of booting PS1 games off the memory stick, once downloaded from them ofcourse. or something of that nature. I could be wrong the way this night has been, anything can happen.

msxyz
03-15-06, 03:09 AM
Games are what matters. The rest are purely gimmicks.

I want to hear about some exclusives and they'd better have some juicy ones because I already got a next gen console and there's no point in getting another to play the same multiplatform games.

Bad_Boy
03-15-06, 03:13 AM
Im sure we will hear about the games before november, dont worry. ;)

LiquidX
03-15-06, 03:15 AM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696056p1.html

60GB HDD loaded with Linux which will be able to act as a home server. If the PS3 comes in at $500 or less with the HDD it pretty much beats anything in my book.

I want to hear about some exclusives and they'd better have some juicy ones because I already got a next gen console and there's no point in getting another to play the same multiplatform games.

Are you kidding? PS3 will have tons of exclusives.

Mr_LoL
03-15-06, 03:17 AM
E3 is where games are showcased.

Bad_Boy
03-15-06, 03:17 AM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696056p1.html

60GB HDD loaded with Linux which will be able to act as a home server. If the PS3 comes in at $500 or less with the HDD it pretty much beats anything in my book.

agreed 110%. (nana2)

E3 is where games are showcased.
yup, and we still have GDC. and im not sure but the game conference in tokyo might be before november also.
sounds like november is actually working out, im surprized im not dissapointed at all about this "delay" :D

edit:
March 14, 2006 - At the PlayStation Business Briefing 2006, Ken Kutaragi has just added another infamous quote to his belt, this time stating that PS3 games are "live" and that the PS3 concept is "4D".

He claims that games have gone from 8-bit to 16-bit planes, to the "space" that you saw on the PS1/PS2, and now PS3 will be "live".other than that very odd statement, Sony has shed no BS today :D evilchris will be a happy camper :D

GamerGuyX
03-15-06, 03:24 AM

If you wan't to talk about gimmicks, let's talk about the DS.

Bad_Boy
03-15-06, 03:28 AM
If you wan't to talk about gimmicks, let's talk about the DS.
cmon guys, im enjoying the moment here. dont ruin it for me. :D

(nana2) (nana2) (nana2) (nana2) (nana2)

Edge
03-15-06, 03:41 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. Does sound pretty cool though, guess we'll find out how this pans out in November.

Q
03-15-06, 03:48 AM
Believe it or not, this news is the first that has actually made me the least bit excited about the PS3.

Bad_Boy
03-15-06, 03:51 AM
Couple pictures from this great briefing tonight.
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060315/scej.htm

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060315/scej1_05.jpg woot

gmontem
03-15-06, 04:00 AM
Sweet. Now if Sony would allow ports of Folding@home....

|MaguS|
03-15-06, 07:41 AM
****ing Own! Im soooo hyped now....

JamesDax
03-15-06, 07:45 AM
PSP is looking damn sweet to me. I may have to give one a serious look next Xmas. As for the PS3 we will have to see how this pans out for Sony. Frankly I think Microsoft will be able to hold the upper hand. They will be cheaper, have a larger library, will have dozens of great new games coming in the fall and for Xmas and will be able to match Sony's production rate on top of an already will establish user base.

|MaguS|
03-15-06, 07:53 AM
MS can't even get the systems out there now with no competition... how can you say they will be able to match sony's production rate? For all we know the delay in the announcement was to make sure they can hit their goals. Sony isnt stupid, remember they came into the market the underdog and whooped on the kings (Nintendo and Sega)... they know what they are doing (have been the top console for two generations now).

msxyz
03-15-06, 08:46 AM
How people can expect the PS3 to come with a fully fledged Linux OS on it ?

Any resourceful coder would be able to access the machine down to the metal in no time including ways to circumvent the copy protection systems or to bypass the HDCP restrictions.

It will be a stripped down, crippled core version at best with probably several restrictions and missing components in order not to clash against the GPL distribution license. Seeing also that many Linux gurus are backing up the new GPL 3 license model and pushing for a transition, it would be interesting to see how this could affect any plans to distribute Linux or any of its components on a DRM infected machine like the PS3 is.

Honestly, this conference reminds me a lot of the one held in february 1999 when the "emotion engine" was introduced along with a lot of over-optimistic figures and extreme marketing hyperboles. The fact that a lot of uneducated people fall for them is no surprise but the press and the experts should be a little suspicious about Sony claims.

GamerGuyX: the last handheld console I owned was a GameGear ;)

msxyz
03-15-06, 09:03 AM
Sony isnt stupid, remember they came into the market the underdog and whooped on the kings (Nintendo and Sega)... they know what they are doing (have been the top console for two generations now).They came at the right time, just like Nintendo came at the right time after the market crash of 1983.

The original PSX wasn't a particulary outstanding machine from the hardware point of view but it was cheap (unlike Saturn, 3DO), easy to code for (unlike Saturn, Jaguar and Nintendo64) and entered at the right time, when Sega and Nintendo were most vulnerable, in the transistion from 3rd to 4th gerneration and with a lot of other contenders on the market which failed to impress the public.

PS2 just capitalized on this, and with a huge potential market and brand recognition many developers were just happy to stay on Sony bandwagon, despite the machine itself is nothing too impressive (from a technical standpoint, the public perception is different)