PDA

View Full Version : Well I got my DFI board

CaptNKILL
03-15-06, 09:28 AM
It seems pretty good, but Im having problems :(

When I first booted it up yesterday it beeped at me. So I pushed on the ram a little (which I had already done to make sure they werent loose) and then it booted fine.

Well, all last night I was attempting to overclock this thing. And just like any other board I've tried, the memory dividers are mostly non functional. Maybe its my CPU, I dont know. At certain HTT speeds, the dividers wont work, so Im still extremely limited on my overclocks. The one I was using on my Epox board was one of the few I could get to work correctly. So I set it and ran Prime95 for a little while and my temps were low and I had no problems. I played Battlefield 2 for a while (at a buttery smooth 60+FPS at 1600x1200 4xMSAA :D) and after like 45 minutes I got some really strange static noise from my speakers and it froze (with the sounds still going, sometimes really loud). This really irritated me. Either Im having some sort of issue with my X-Fi or this board cant even pull off the one overclock setting that worked fine on my other board. Then, again this morning I turned it on and I got that same "loose ram" beep.

I pushed on the ram again, rebooted it and sure enough, it came right on.

But it didnt boot! :|

Rather than attempt to piss with this when I had to be to work in 20 minutes, I just went back into the bios, set everything to stock clocks and it booted fine. I brought it to work here with me and Im going to try to work on it a bit on one of the other stations here. I really hope there isnt anything wrong with this board... I will be extremely pissed off and frustrated. Oblivion is 5 days away... I'll lose my god damned mind :(

jAkUp
03-15-06, 10:34 AM
What are all the settings you are using?

FSB, HTT, Memory divider, etc.

CaptNKILL
03-15-06, 10:41 AM
Well, the settings that worked (at least for a little while) were the same ones I used on my Epox board. I have them memorized :p

278 HTT
133 Memory setting (2/3 divider)
3x LDT
9x CPU multiplier
1.65 vcore

Memory settings:
2.5-3-3-6 (i think) and I run at 2T

This is exactly how it was on my old system. I know there are no guarantees with overclocking though.

Also, for what its worth, I installed the nvidia IDE driver from the most recent nforce package and I had boot problems (usually with a CD in a drive) and it made my hard drive really loud. So I uninstalled the IDE drivers. Everything worked perfectly fine with the windows drivers and the system running at stock clocks.

Dr.Nick
03-15-06, 11:06 AM
Make sure you are using the 6-23 bios or newer and also use the orange slots for the memory.

CaptNKILL
03-15-06, 12:16 PM
Make sure you are using the 6-23 bios or newer and also use the orange slots for the memory.
I have 4x512Mb sticks. Im using all 4 slots.

BTW, I took all of the ram out, blew the whole area out with compressed air and put the ram back in. It booted first time. I have the CPU at stock right now and the memory running at default (200) and its been running Prime95 blend for about an hour and a half. My CPU temp has been at a constant 24-25C since it started... Thermalright are gods, this XP-90 (as well as any other Thermalright cooler I have used) is amazing.

EDIT: I will check the BIOS though. I cant believe I keep forgetting to check to see if the bios is updated... how dumb can I be? :o

Strahd
03-15-06, 12:19 PM
Since you are using 4 sticks, make sure you have CPC disabled also :)

CaptNKILL
03-15-06, 03:06 PM
Since you are using 4 sticks, make sure you have CPC disabled also :)
What is CPC? :o

BTW, I just stopped that Prime test. It went for 4 hours and 11 minutes with no errors or warnings and it topped out at 26C core. The system is fine, I just have to figure out how the hell to make it overclock. There are so many settings its rediculous. I've looked at DFI Street a bit but really, it doesnt look like most of them know any more than what they have found out by testing.

EDIT: Damn, I was hoping CPC would solve some problems. Having it enabled is the same thing as setting 1T. I only use 2T. :(

SH64
03-15-06, 03:25 PM
I had the same high pitched noise problem .. most likely its related to the sound card (i have an Audigy2 sound card) & had CTD on BF2 which was fixed by increasing the DRAM voltage to 2.8v.

Mr_LoL
03-15-06, 04:06 PM
Good luck getting your head round those settings in the bios. Does anyone know how to get that chipset off as I want to try the sli mod?

Strahd
03-15-06, 04:08 PM
What is CPC? :o

BTW, I just stopped that Prime test. It went for 4 hours and 11 minutes with no errors or warnings and it topped out at 26C core. The system is fine, I just have to figure out how the hell to make it overclock. There are so many settings its rediculous. I've looked at DFI Street a bit but really, it doesnt look like most of them know any more than what they have found out by testing.

EDIT: Damn, I was hoping CPC would solve some problems. Having it enabled is the same thing as setting 1T. I only use 2T. :(

You are correct. CPC is commands per clock

May I suggest you go here. It will solve almost every question you have about your board.

http://www.dfi-street.com

CaptNKILL
03-15-06, 10:37 PM
You are correct. CPC is commands per clock

May I suggest you go here. It will solve almost every question you have about your board.

http://www.dfi-street.com
I know, I've been there. They have a lot of answers but there are still quite a few mysteries. Especially with the RAM dividers not working at certain settings.

Anyways, I've been testing this thing all day and it seems to be running like a champ now. I have it back at the clocks in my sig (exactly how it was on my epox board) and the performance and stability seem to be fantastic. I ran prime95 in the "max heat" test and it had an error after 2 hours, so I went and nudged the voltage up about 0.03v. So far I havent had any actual system problems though since when I first turned it on this morning.

I did plug in the final extra power plug on the motherboard today too... I figured they were mostly "just in case" type things, so I plugged in all but the Berg (floppy) power connector on the board, since the only extra was pretty far away. Since I was having problems, I decided to plug that in today.

I dont know if that had any part in it, but so far, everything has been great.

Heh, its kind of rediculous... my old board ran with a 20pin atx power connector and a 4pin P4 connector. This new one has a 24pin atx power connector, 4pin P4, 4 pin molex and 4 pin berg. That is a LOT of freaking power :p

Earlier, I had BF2 running for 3 1\2 hours playing offline with bots and didnt have a single glitch. And this was before I bumped the voltage up a tad.
Heh, I did a small Fraps benchmark too:

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
17548, 303353, 40, 85, 57.847

This was at 1600x1200, 4xSSAA, 16xAF HQ, all opts disabled, all settings maxed in game. I think the map was Zatar Wetlands, but I cant remember. It looked amazing, and I cant believe how smooth it felt. THIS is the way its meant to be played.

Thank you nVidia and eVGA. This card kicks ASS.

EDIT: Wow, I cant even believe the power of this system... I just ran The Valley speedtree demo with prime95 running and it was smooth. With twice the normal grass draw distance at 1600x1200 with the exact settings I used for the BF2 benchmark above, it was in the 25-35fps range (measured with fraps). All that, with prime95 maxing out my CPU... That is INSANE. :eek:

Mr_LoL
03-15-06, 11:33 PM
CaptNKILL what voltage is your cpu running at? I can get mine to 2.9 but it needs a bit too much to be stable at those speeds.

CaptNKILL
03-15-06, 11:52 PM
CaptNKILL what voltage is your cpu running at? I can get mine to 2.9 but it needs a bit too much to be stable at those speeds.
Right now, while running prime, my Smarguardian program (came with the board) says 1.66-1.67. In the BIOS I think it said it should be 1.68.

The settings Im using are 1.500v vcore and 113% special voltage setting (whatever its called :p).

Mr_LoL
03-16-06, 05:32 AM
Mine is on 1.450v but I only have a pathetic 324mhz overclock.

Strahd
03-16-06, 11:43 AM
I do not consider a 324 Mhz OC pathetic. That's not bad at all, it might not be insane but it's not bad. Mine is only 350 Mhz and that's only because I do not want to pump more voltage then I already am. 1.6v on my proc is enough :)

CaptNKILL
03-16-06, 12:23 PM
Yeah my 3000+ is still impressing the hell out of me. At this point, theres nothing worth upgrading to other than a dual core, and even that is very limited since most games dont take advantage of them. Sure it takes a lot of extra voltage, but man, this thing FLIES. 700Mhz overclock with stock cooling. Then I got my XP-90 and now it runs at 38C idle.

I was really impressed with my last overclocking CPU too (which im using right now on my work machine). That 1700+ XP hit 2.0 on air cooling, 633Mhz OC... I think it runs about 45C idle. Extremely stable though :D