PDA

View Full Version : 7800GT CO SE boots to a black screen

Athena
03-15-06, 03:17 PM
This is a sad and frustrating day.
It has taken me over 6 months to get the money to upgrade to my new 7800GT. (why I did not wait 3 days to get a 7900GT I will never know)
But I recieved my new card and new Antec Smart Power 2.0 500Watt PSU and nothing. It just boots goes through the BIOS post and the windows error that I did not shut down correctly then the monitor shuts off. I turn on and off the monitor to see if it is a sync problem and nothing. I have a 21" NEC crt. The MOBO is a ATI 480.

Any ideas at all, as of right now I am feeling like this problem is kicking my head in. :(

Superfly
03-15-06, 03:20 PM
Will it boot into safe mode??

F8 might be your friend

Superfly
03-15-06, 03:22 PM
Failing that does the windows setup disk run OK - ie: can you do a fresh install???

Athena
03-15-06, 03:30 PM
I can hit the F8 key and it will run through the boot up info but as soon as it goes to the actual windows screen. bam! I lose the video signal to the monitor. :(

Superfly
03-15-06, 03:36 PM
Have you tried a different power connector to the GPU??

Athena
03-15-06, 03:40 PM
Yep. :(

This is just my luck.

TimeOut
03-15-06, 05:07 PM
That happened to me when I upgraded from 6800GT to 7800GT.

Are you using Rivatuner by a chance?

I had to put my old card back, loaded up windows, uninstall Rivatuner and the nVidia drivers. Then turned off the PC, installed the new card and WOOT!!!. it worked.

Superfly
03-15-06, 06:40 PM
lol - try that

Athena
03-16-06, 11:08 AM
Hmm yes I am using Riva tuner. I will have to find a way to get that uninstalled. I can not put in the old card as it was AGP and my new MOBO is PCIE. Maybe I can install and old PCI video card to get into safe mode and do the uninstalls. Thanks for giving me some hope, this was really getting to me. I had tried 2 new AGP cards before I gave up and moved to PCIE. :o

TimeOut
03-16-06, 02:02 PM
If you cannot find your PCI card, try with the XP recovery console.

WinXP recovery console can be accessed with the install CD. Make sure you have any driver disks in the floppy, since recovery won't access your setup on HDD. When you get to the point where the install CD asks if you want to install or repair the install, select 'R'.

'R' activates the recovery console, which is a command prompt, with limited access to the system (basically the windows directory and root). You have a limited command set (type 'HELP' to see a list of commands) that get you through your difficulties. Microsoft has several knowledge base articles on the subject and google is your friend.

Here you need only 3 commands. LISTSVC, DISABLE, and EXIT.

Use LISTSVC to see all the services that WinXP starts up along with any drivers needed.

If you find NVSvc, NVStrap, Rivatuner32 and Speedfan, you can disable them using the command DISABLE.

DISABLE NVSvc
DISABLE NVStrap
DISABLE RivaTuner32
DISABLE SpeedFan

EXIT gets you out of the console for a reboot.

Athena
03-17-06, 01:36 PM
cool thanks, I actually had an extra 200 gig HD so I did a fresh install of windwos on that and will copy over my files from the old 80 gig drive. I also got my new 26" widescreen monitor and playing COH on it is just to awsome!!!

Superfly
03-17-06, 01:57 PM
glad its sorted mate, enjoy the card.