PDA

View Full Version : Playstation Network Platform Details

|MaguS|
03-15-06, 02:34 PM
Link to Gamespot Details (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145981.html)

Sounds like Sony has a clear plan. Not only does the Basic feature the same then the Xbox Live basic but offers more with the ability to play games online aswell. You will also be able to download PS1/PS2 games to the PS3 HD but it is unknown if at a price (I wouldn't dout it).

What I like most about this over Xbox Live is that it isn't a closed network, Publishers and Developers can actually create and control their own servers unlike Xbox Live which MS has full control over. This makes game updates alot easier, and even Guild Wars possible (They stated they didn't like Xbox Live's Closed Network).

evilchris
03-15-06, 02:58 PM
What I like most about this over Xbox Live is that it isn't a closed network, Publishers and Developers can actually create and control their own servers unlike Xbox Live which MS has full control over. This makes game updates alot easier, and even Guild Wars possible (They stated they didn't like Xbox Live's Closed Network).

This isn't true. I just got Burnout Revenge, an EA game, and I went through a process of linking my XBL account to EA's servers.

LiquidX
03-15-06, 03:16 PM
MS closed network for Live I think will be its undoing to an extent when it comes up against Sony's. I would like to know if its technically impossible for Live to be closed off to outside interference when its comes to the core features of Live, while at the same time being open so games like WOW can have a life on the system so devs can update it as they see fit and Live users would be able to play alongside the PC users and take advantage of the massive PC population. Also many other games like COD2 and other upcoming fps would benifit greatly from a open network so Live users wouldnt have to put up with 8 man servers hosted on another users 360. It is the one flaw I see with Live and MS should try to fix it.

JamesDax
03-15-06, 03:52 PM
An open linux based network. A hackers wet dream. lol

evilchris
03-15-06, 03:53 PM
Live isn't closed. Burnout, LIKE I STATED, uses EA servers.

PeterJensen
03-15-06, 03:53 PM
Link to Gamespot Details (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145981.html)

Sounds like Sony has a clear plan. Not only does the Basic feature the same then the Xbox Live basic but offers more with the ability to play games online aswell. You will also be able to download PS1/PS2 games to the PS3 HD but it is unknown if at a price (I wouldn't dout it).

The open network could also be a major secrurity risc regarding cheats and hacks for online games.
MS did the right thing with the closed (controled open) network.

|MaguS|
03-15-06, 03:56 PM
LIVE IS CLOSED

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts

EA was criticized for refusing to publish for the highly-touted Xbox Live online service, which is run through Microsoft's own servers and which charges a monthly flat fee, regardless of the number of titles. EA would not be able to retain use of its own servers for Xbox games and thus could not charge a monthly fee for every game as they could on the PS2. Unlike the PC and PS2 versions, EA would not have been able to discontinue support for last year's title on Live, reducing potential sales of their current title. Ending up, EA capitulated in 2004 and started publishing for Xbox Live since their absence did not slow down the growth of Live as significantly as they had hoped.

Open Network isn't ment as in anyone with a PS3 will be able to create a server, What It means is that any publisher can create a server with the PS3 Server SDK and connect it to Sony's DataCenter. So insted of bringing your software to Sony and asking them to make a server, you create one at your development office and contact sony for the connection information.

The PS2 had a PC type networking setup, each machine basically ran the game or server. The PS3 will have an Xbox Live type deal but publishers and Developers will be able to control their own servers, not just Sony.

evilchris
03-15-06, 03:58 PM
WOW, WIKIPEDIA, A USER EDITED ENCYCLOPEDIA. CASE CLOSED.

Burnout Revenge uses EA servers, no matter what links you dig up to "prove" your false assumption.

evilchris
03-15-06, 04:01 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/driving/burnoutrevenge/news.html?sid=6142622

Hm, odd, how does my X360 on a CLOSED NETWORK send files to EA servers?

First, there's the save and share option, which lets your record clips of any race, save them to your 360 hard drive, and even upload them to EA servers for sharing

Strange. What's also weird is EA emailed me after I created my EA XBL account from INSIDE the game. But you know best Magus, afterall you are an EA developer, lol

|MaguS|
03-15-06, 04:05 PM
Because EA uses a Sub-Server but when you play games your using MS's Servers. The Sub-Server does nothing more then house the user information.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/508/508793p1.html

EA has publicly stated its issues with Microsoft's successful online strategy: content control and cash. Xbox owners must pay $69.99 for a starter kit (and $49.99 to renew) to play online Xbox games on centralized servers run by Microsoft. EA wants both control over its content and money for gamers to play its titles. Unlike Sony Computer Entertainment America's laissez-faire setup, which is determined by independent publishers themselves, Microsoft gathers and controls everything.

JamesDax
03-15-06, 04:30 PM
Bottom line. XBox Live has proven to be stable and secure. I'm afraid the same won't be possible for Sony's version of Live.

|MaguS|
03-15-06, 04:34 PM
Bottom line. XBox Live has proven to be stable and secure. I'm afraid the same won't be possible for Sony's version of Live.

Considering SOE is backing it, Im pretty sure it will be secure (can't say anything about stability). I have yet to ever hear about hacking or account stolen from SOE.

Zelda_fan
03-15-06, 05:59 PM
Considering SOE is backing it, Im pretty sure it will be secure (can't say anything about stability). I have yet to ever hear about hacking or account stolen from SOE.

Yep, Sony, the company who stealth installed rootkits via music CDs is sure to produce a slam bang secure network.

evilchris
03-15-06, 06:44 PM
Because EA uses a Sub-Server but when you play games your using MS's Servers. The Sub-Server does nothing more then house the user information.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/508/508793p1.html

April 23, 2004

evilchris
03-15-06, 06:44 PM

ROFLMFAO. Ever play Everquest?

PikachuMan
03-16-06, 09:57 AM
Yep, Sony, the company who stealth installed rootkits via music CDs is sure to produce a slam bang secure network.

Sure, because Sony/BMG music also does network security. Come on, the sony bashing is just getting silly now.